Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Peatisback
Looks like SLC-OGG goes away in late May.

It was nice to have a later departure with flat beds. The auto-rebooking turned OGG-SLC-CVG into OGG-SEA-SLC-CVG.

Probably little to no chance DL would put us on the OGG-HNL codeshare for us to connect to HNL-ATL-CVG, right?
As long as there's space on the DL codeshare number, shouldn't be an issue.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Another Christmas Day schedule change put us in ATL for 5.5 hours. But then the 9:15am flight got added back into the schedule AND I was able to get onto it via the web site instead of the 6:30am flight so all is well today.

Hopefully they’ve got the schedule for the festive period relatively set at this point
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Another Christmas Day schedule change put us in ATL for 5.5 hours. But then the 9:15am flight got added back into the schedule AND I was able to get onto it via the web site instead of the 6:30am flight so all is well today.

Hopefully they’ve got the schedule for the festive period relatively set at this point
Up to and including 24th is set for most part. The 25th though can vary, especially international.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They have a separate schedule block for Dec 18th - Jan 4th. Normally they mostly cover a month, but they split the December schedule (the other block goes from Dec 5th - 17th). You can see the breaks by looking at timing shifts on routes. November schedule goes from Nov 7th to Dec 4th. Although they will often load updates which cover multiple schedule blocks (and you will often see differences within a block around holiday dates as well as weekly Tue/Wed/Sat variations). I'd say Nov 7th - Dec 4th is pretty safe with last tweaks made a couple weeks ago involving about 10 routes. I'd expect they might make a few minor changes for Dec 5th though holidays in next couple weeks, but they should be mostly set at this point.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 18, 2021 at 3:17 pm
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:27 pm

So Delta changed my schedule, I modified once. Now they changed the schedule again, my Christmas flight from LAX_AUX from direct flight at 9:00am to a flight starting at 12:25 am , then stay 5 hours connect at MSP, then fly to AUS and I can't make change this time. I have been waiting on their message center for quite a bit, what is the easiest way to reach Delta? Sorry for my grammar, I am really in a piss mode.

Last edited by ou5603; Oct 18, 2021 at 8:02 pm
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ou5603
So Delta changed my schedule, I modified once. Now they changed the schedule again, my Christmas flight from LAX_AUX from direct fly at 9:00am to 12:25 am MSP, then stay 5 hours, then fly to AUS and I can't make change this time. I have been waiting on their message center for quite a bit, what is the easiest way to reach Delta? Sorry for my grammar, I am really in a piss mode.
Take a deep breath. There are many itineraries available between LAX and AUS on Christmas. Unfortunately no direct flights in the morning. But choose ANY option you like, then call Delta and they will give it to you at no extra cost. Christmas is far away, there's no rush. Feel free to take a few days to make your decision if you want.

Edit: If you find a flight for a good price on a different airline, you can also tell Delta to give you a refund and you can book with the other airline

Last edited by Mountain Explorer; Oct 18, 2021 at 7:47 pm
Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
Take a deep breath. There are many itineraries available between LAX and AUS on Christmas. Unfortunately no direct flights in the morning. But choose ANY option you like, then call Delta and they will give it to you at no extra cost. Christmas is far away, there's no rush. Feel free to take a few days to make your decision if you want.

Edit: If you find a flight for a good price on a different airline, you can also tell Delta to give you a refund and you can book with the other airline
Thanks. I booked multi-city flight with Delta with points and it was a really good deal. So I can't cancel one leg. As you suggested, I will call them to make the change. It really makes me wonder whether I should keep all my hotels reservation as flexible cancellation.
I wonder whether they would be OK for me to change to IAH, which is fine with me, just with a little bit schedule change.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:09 pm

Don’t be surprised if the schedule changes yet again over the next few weeks.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 5:45 am

UGH!!!!
I had 1st class booked from JFK/SEA/HNL.

Return HNL/MSP( Delta one) MSP/JFK First.

2 weeks ago they changed plane JFK/SeA and got upgraded to delta one!!! Yeah!!!

NOooo
yesterday they changed
JFK/SEA/HNL TO. LGA/ATL/SEA/HNL
Not even close to acceptable.

Would I be able to change back to delta one even though I only had the outbound delta one for a short time?
thanks
Old Oct 19, 2021, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kerrirdh
UGH!!!!

NOooo
yesterday they changed

Would I be able to change back to delta one even though I only had the outbound delta one for a short time?
thanks
Delta One through where? Dates would be helpful. If there's another D1 flight available on JFK-SEA, it's not unreasonable to ask to be put back on that or perhaps JFK-LAX to go back to 1-stop routing. I doubt you'll get D1 on MSP-HNL or ATL-HNL since you still have an FC fare, but you can ask.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 6:06 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
UGH!!!!

NOooo
yesterday they changed

thanks
​​​​​​Is there a one-stop route with Delta One you are interested in that you deem more acceptable?
Old Oct 19, 2021, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ou5603
Thanks. I booked multi-city flight with Delta with points and it was a really good deal. So I can't cancel one leg. As you suggested, I will call them to make the change. It really makes me wonder whether I should keep all my hotels reservation as flexible cancellation.
I wonder whether they would be OK for me to change to IAH, which is fine with me, just with a little bit schedule change.
Also look at SAT. Regardless DL will be willing to rebook to LAX-SAT/IAH if the timings work better.

UGH!!!!

NOooo
yesterday they changed

thanks
Check flight options that day. If JFK/LGA-ATL/MSP-HNL is available you can rebook to it. Don't mention anything about D1 vs domestic F. It'll only serve to confuse agent. As this was a DL schedule change induced rebooking you qualify to get rebook on it for no additional cost.
AeRoSpaceman and Kerrirdh like this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 2:35 pm

I ended up with a SCS move!! I was able to get moved to the nonstop the day before and then to a 1 stop (from the SC 2 stop - UGH) on the day after original flight. It added 2 days to our trip but that’s GREAT NEWS! And a BONUS the TATL flights are on the 300-neo which looks like a nice upgrade - flying business. I was holding my breath since I booked with Choice Air for a cruise. Fingers crossed no more major changes.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Skicruiser58
I ended up with a SCS move!! I was able to get moved to the nonstop the day before and then to a 1 stop (from the SC 2 stop - UGH) on the day after original flight. It added 2 days to our trip but that’s GREAT NEWS! And a BONUS the TATL flights are on the 300-neo which looks like a nice upgrade - flying business. I was holding my breath since I booked with Choice Air for a cruise. Fingers crossed no more major changes.
Nice! 330neo is, IMO, the best business class Delta has
Old Oct 21, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Nice! 330neo is, IMO, the best business class Delta has
I haven’t a flown the neo yet (will next week!) but is there a discernable difference in the Delta One cabin between the 359 and the neo? I assumed the cabins would be almost identical inside the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.