Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What's the next phase for Delta at JFK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat

Does anyone have any info on Delta's plans for the next phase of work at JFK? Is there a next phase at all?

The original plans were to build a connecting bridge between T2 and T4, similar to what they have at LGA, but I haven't heard anything about that lately. Was the plan scrapped?

I can't stand T2, but my mainline flights to FLL almost always depart from it. I'd like to be able to spend my pre-flight time in T4 and just walk over at boarding time, but I'm not about to rely on the Jitney for that.

Just curious about what the community here at FT might know!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
At the time of the demolition of T3 there was vague talk about T2 being rebuilt or renovated.

I haven't heard anything since then,

T2 is the oldest terminal left at JFK and it really shows.

On the other hand...for all of its indignities, its tiny gate areas, the pre-historic arrival level facilities, in some ways I prefer it to T4.

Sure, T4 is more modern, but if your flight happens to be at one of the gates built with the extensions to T4, you need to brace yourself for an expedition-distance walk, especially if you have checked baggage, in which case you will need to walk all the way to the north end of the terminal to gain access to the domestic baggage claim area.

While TSA pre-check at T2 can also be spotty, at T4 (JFK's International terminal shared with numerous international carriers) there is often a pseudo-pre check line which merges with basic security and is thus very slow.

This is especially a problem if you happen to get to security at the same time as the pax for a Singapore or Emirates A-380.

So while T2 is old and dilapidated, its gate areas laughably inadequate, its SkyClub a pale facsimile of the one at T4, in many ways it is much more practical than the patched-on extensions that have become the Delta gates at T4.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
T2 is hilarious. Like much of the infastructure in NYC, it's just too difficult to start from scratch and re-build so you have these multiple band-aid fixes which accomplish little. Even with the many renovations that have occurred, you can still tell the building belongs in 1962. Just a few years ago, cracks in the windows and roof would let birds fly around inside the terminal.

I actually think DL has done a great job trying to modernize the facility and the SkyClub is actually pretty large and comfortable. On the other hand, the public restrooms are truly third-world and most gate areas are quite inadequate for the wide bodies that park there.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott TE, and Reformed AMEX Cent
T2 is >>>>>>>>>> T4.
The walk from gates to curb is often 1/10th the walk at T4.
It is the worst to get gate B38. The worst. 15 minute walk at least. T4 is just a terrible, terrible design.
DL should have carts to drive all Diamonds from B38 - B36 gates to the exit.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
This article is a couple of years old, so take it with a grain of salt.

Richard Anderson: "one day we want to build the third phase of this facility."

The third phase will allow Delta to consolidate all of its operations in terminal 4, says Gail Grimmett, senior vice-president for New York, on the sidelines of the event. The airline will still operate some select mainline flights from terminal 2 after phase two opens, she explains.

Delta is in discussions with the PANYNJ and JFK IAT regarding the third phase but has yet to determine a timeline the project, she says.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-phase-386342/
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Hopefully a tram at T4....that walk is ridiculous especially with the moving walkways broken down so much.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Hopefully a tram at T4....that walk is ridiculous especially with the moving walkways broken down so much.
Last time I was there, it appeared they were adding a few walkways. That's a trend I'd like to see continued.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Harlem
T4 is just a terrible, terrible design.
Just can't please everyone, can you. I think T4 is good...and about a 100,000,000 percent improvement. Are there walks, yes...it happens in large airports.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I thought I read somewhere that phase 3 entails taking over some of the gates in the north pier at T4. I can't imagine the possibility exists for Delta to add on to T4 at any point.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
It is the worst to get gate B38. The worst. 15 minute walk at least. T4 is just a terrible, terrible design.
Yes B38 is terrible. Last night we arrived into B39 at 11:45pm after 2 hours delay PHX-JFK. Why would delta park the AC at the last terminal in T4? Surely there were other gates closer to the exit. Perhaps not.

Luckily after the 15-20 minute walk to baggage claim our bags were just coming out and I didn't have to wait any longer for my bag to be delivered.

I find T4 security is always at least 30 minutes wait even with Pre-check. Though I do enjoy the sky club in T4 so all in all I prefer putting up with the hassle of T4 to enjoy the SC. It's a trade off I guess.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I thought I read somewhere that phase 3 entails taking over some of the gates in the north pier at T4. I can't imagine the possibility exists for Delta to add on to T4 at any point.
I think phase 3 is an extension of the north pier to add more gates
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
T2 is >>>>>>>>>> T4.
The walk from gates to curb is often 1/10th the walk at T4.
B38?

Try B55, the last gate in the most recent epxpansion which replaced the RJ zoo at T2.

While the gate areas are far more pleasant than the free for all of yore at the T2 RJ gates, the walk is so long it's about to be released as an official fitness plan...

Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you're that far at the end, you are better off taking the Jitney that goes from the B55 end of T4 to the start at B20.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I think phase 3 is an extension of the north pier to add more gates
so what if you have a regional jet pulling into B55 on the south pier with a connecting flight out of a potential phase 3 extended T4 north pier? Obviously this could only be accomplished with a Jitney type operation but if you had to walk it, it would take you easily 30 to 45 minutes. I am sorry but as much as I am a DL apologist, Delta at JFK is a complete failure.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
The walks at JFK are no longer than at DTW, MSP, or the much-loved AMS.

Carry on with the whining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.