Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will Starwood-Marriott Merger Affect DL Crossover Rewards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Starwood-Marriott Merger Affect DL Crossover Rewards?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:16 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Well, the SPG people seem to be viewing the impending merger as the coming of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse, while the Marriott people are like eh, meh. I think it will take time to sort the partners out. I'm wondering if Coke or Pepsi will win
Haha... funny.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by t1c
Haha... funny.
Actually, I'm beginning to think SPG will stay. Notice how, when UA rolled out new bedding, they had an opportunity to do a tie-in with Marriott, the way DL did with Westin, and they did not. Instead they went with some premium New York brand (I forget which) that I normally wouldn't associate with bedding. I suspect that, given the tighter integration between DL and SPG, the DL relationship will survive over the UA relationship. To me, that would be slightly annoying since I use Marriott for my token UA status. Oh well.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 12:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Actually, I'm beginning to think SPG will stay. Notice how, when UA rolled out new bedding, they had an opportunity to do a tie-in with Marriott, the way DL did with Westin, and they did not. Instead they went with some premium New York brand (I forget which) that I normally wouldn't associate with bedding. I suspect that, given the tighter integration between DL and SPG, the DL relationship will survive over the UA relationship. To me, that would be slightly annoying since I use Marriott for my token UA status. Oh well.
DL would be the better choice. DL seems to focus much more on business travelers, which also form the core of a hotel's business. UA also has a poor reputation compared to DL.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 6:04 am

Meaning "potential" Delta / Marriott. I highly doubt it but I would welcome it especially if Delta elites get status with Marriott.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Marriott now has 4pm check out on their app for plat members. This is new for those that have posted they don't do it (maybe they don't do it at JW's?)

Marriott >>> Hilton in Hawaii, certainly on the Big Island
Old Jul 10, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
The tacky Marriott people would be foolish to not continue or even build on the SPG-Delta relationship. So much more that could can be done to work with each others top customers.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 12:05 pm

SPG recently started crossover rewards with China Eastern, which I think might have something to do with Delta. Chinese airlines' IT in general sucks. I think Delta might have helped in the integration. SPG and Delta's relationship will prevail I believe. If anything, United will be kicked off. SPG and Delta's relationship has been really close and strong.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond;AA Gold; UA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Plat
I would be shocked if Marriott kept SPG going. That said, there has been some discussion about creating two rewards programs where an SPG-esque one for the upscale chains (Ritz, St. Regis, Le Meridian, JW Marriott, W, Westin, Renaissance) continues on and another program for mid and down-market program for Marriott, Sheraton, Courtyard, etc. That just seems really complicated, but who knows. Maybe but unlikely.

United did launch their new Polaris business class with a bedding tie-in with Saks, the upscale department store whose flagship is in NYC (note, interestingly, however that its part of Toronto-based Hudson's Bay). I'm not sure we can read into this that United is leaving Marriott (as much as I would like too) as much as if the bedding was from another hotel chain.

Originally Posted by WWads
DL would be the better choice. DL seems to focus much more on business travelers, which also form the core of a hotel's business. UA also has a poor reputation compared to DL.
As much as I really want to believe this, its going to come down to numbers--and the value such a relationship brings to both parties. Delta is a much larger domestic carrier than UA and UA conversely is a much bigger international airline (in terms of % of passenger revenue miles or ASMs as airlines call it). That means that Delta probably carriers more passengers and that DL frequent fliers probably make more trips (b/c on the whole, international trips on a US carrier is likely farther than a domestic one). So on a basic analysis level: DL would give Marriott more US customers who will stay in hotels more often. Seems like a win for Delta. But that assumes a) Marriott wants to build US business vs. build its business overseas with US-based customers and b) that Delta feels that Marriott has a big base of customers who don't fly that often with them. Its entirely possible that Marriott and Delta customers overlap at a huge percentage. In that case, it makes zero sense for either company to keep working together. The whole point of Crossover was for DL and SPG to get new customers from each other.

But everything I think/feel/want to believe ignores all the known unknowns:
* The contractual relationship between the companies. This one probably favors UA as Starwood and SPG ending creates a legal context to end the relationship with DL.
* How much the respective deals actually bring in new customers (and higher profit ones at that) to each company.
* The value/cost of the deals and if the three companies (Marriott, UA and DL) have any interest in keeping it going or would love to use the merger as a chance to exit.
* If a formal AA/Hilton deal actually happens and what it looks like. Its possible Marriott, Hilton, AA, DL and UA all want out--or the opposite. There isn't enough publicly known to answer this.

As much as I love crossover rewards--I essentially get at least one free night a year at a luxury Starwood hotel in a nice city--its hard to see how this continues in its current form given the share size of the new Marriott program. The cost of all those extra miles/points has to be astronomical and one would think Marriott's individual hotel owners might not want to pay the higher loyalty fee.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:07 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by PowerFlyer
I would be shocked if Marriott kept SPG going. That said, there has been some discussion about creating two rewards programs where an SPG-esque one for the upscale chains (Ritz, St. Regis, Le Meridian, JW Marriott, W, Westin, Renaissance) continues on and another program for mid and down-market program for Marriott, Sheraton, Courtyard, etc. That just seems really complicated, but who knows. Maybe but unlikely.

United did launch their new Polaris business class with a bedding tie-in with Saks, the upscale department store whose flagship is in NYC (note, interestingly, however that its part of Toronto-based Hudson's Bay). I'm not sure we can read into this that United is leaving Marriott (as much as I would like too) as much as if the bedding was from another hotel chain.

As much as I really want to believe this, its going to come down to numbers--and the value such a relationship brings to both parties. Delta is a much larger domestic carrier than UA and UA conversely is a much bigger international airline (in terms of % of passenger revenue miles or ASMs as airlines call it). That means that Delta probably carriers more passengers and that DL frequent fliers probably make more trips (b/c on the whole, international trips on a US carrier is likely farther than a domestic one). So on a basic analysis level: DL would give Marriott more US customers who will stay in hotels more often. Seems like a win for Delta. But that assumes a) Marriott wants to build US business vs. build its business overseas with US-based customers and b) that Delta feels that Marriott has a big base of customers who don't fly that often with them. Its entirely possible that Marriott and Delta customers overlap at a huge percentage. In that case, it makes zero sense for either company to keep working together. The whole point of Crossover was for DL and SPG to get new customers from each other.

But everything I think/feel/want to believe ignores all the known unknowns:
* The contractual relationship between the companies. This one probably favors UA as Starwood and SPG ending creates a legal context to end the relationship with DL.
* How much the respective deals actually bring in new customers (and higher profit ones at that) to each company.
* The value/cost of the deals and if the three companies (Marriott, UA and DL) have any interest in keeping it going or would love to use the merger as a chance to exit.
* If a formal AA/Hilton deal actually happens and what it looks like. Its possible Marriott, Hilton, AA, DL and UA all want out--or the opposite. There isn't enough publicly known to answer this.

As much as I love crossover rewards--I essentially get at least one free night a year at a luxury Starwood hotel in a nice city--its hard to see how this continues in its current form given the share size of the new Marriott program. The cost of all those extra miles/points has to be astronomical and one would think Marriott's individual hotel owners might not want to pay the higher loyalty fee.
So I'm noticing on my travels that on the Marriott Channel in the hotel rooms. That the CEO of Amex and CEO of Chase are promoting the merger. Maybe there is a possibility they might keep both programs or they are just trying to keep their cardholders happy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.