Wiki Posts
Search

Population of Various Million Milers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott, Amex
Population of Various Million Milers

Was on a flight recently sitting next to a guy with a 7 million miler bag tag. At current pace, I will likely hit 2 million in the next couple of years. I've frequently seen 2 million miler bag tags and occasionally 3 million, but never more than 3 million with the lone exception of Mr. 7 million.

For the sake of trivia is there any data, anecdotal or otherwise, to indicate the population at each Million Miler level?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:00 pm

Multiple million miler was easy to get a few years back as credit card spend counted

So those 7 Million miler tags will become rarer as folks die

A new MBA will struggle to get 7M whereas a 55 year old business owner had it much easier
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
I flew with a guy from MSP-DCA that had a 7M. He said he has been flying to Australia and Asia for years very frequently. I would not doubt if he had the CC spend addition as well though.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL DM Hilton Diamond WN A List
I have no idea if this is relevant to the OP but I have 4.5 million and started flying in April 1990. Pretty constant travel for me. But like my Flying Colonel status, not sure it means anything now
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
2.6 MM here, with 3.0 likely attainable before I truly retire
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
On the HKG-SEA that took me to 2MM (earlier this year), I was in line behind a 5MM. That is the highest level I have seen in person.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Let's hope at least half of that was from card spending. Spending that much time on an airplane would be torture for me. Slowly but surely we are making advances in technology that should significantly reduce the need for business travel. The Internet and satellites replaced the Concorde. You don't need to send a courier to have a document signed anymore thanks to technology. It will be a struggle for companies until the older workforce retires though. I always get a laugh out of how older people refer to young people as "entitled". I don't need to be on an airplane 70% of the month in order to feel important...
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
OP: search DL forum member name Oldtiredandbusy...he's approaching 7MM but other posts related to his user name reveal some unscientific data about other extreme MMs in the DL world.

And did you ask that 7MM about the "unique experience" they get at that level?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Multiple million miler was easy to get a few years back as credit card spend counted
When was that? I am thinking a LOT more than a FEW years.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Perhaps we can start a thread breaking down DMs/PMs/GMs/FOs and MMs by state, so we can see which state has the most of each. Anyone agree?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
This is not accurate for DL. A couple of decades ago (early nineties) bonus miles from DL flights counted for Million Miler status but at that time there was no credit card affiliation. Delta AmEx gives MQMs (up to 60K a year if one has Business and Personal Reserve cards and spends $120K a year on them), but that started in the late nineties (the Reserve card came later) and is still the case. So, unless your affiliation with Delta goes back to the eighties, it was not easier to earn multiple million mile status in the past than it is now.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:23 am

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
Back in the 90's everything counted toward MM, including car rentals (minimum 1000 miles per rental), hotels, etc. My first MM was relatively easy, but the second one (where I now sit) took considerably longer due to the tightening up of the rules. I would think there are lots of folks with either one or two MM, but the real road warriors with lots of TPAC and TATL travel no doubt are the ones in the 5-7 range. I personally have never heard or seen anyone with more than 7MM.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lovecabo
Back in the 90's everything counted toward MM, including car rentals (minimum 1000 miles per rental), hotels, etc. My first MM was relatively easy, but the second one (where I now sit) took considerably longer due to the tightening up of the rules. I would think there are lots of folks with either one or two MM, but the real road warriors with lots of TPAC and TATL travel no doubt are the ones in the 5-7 range. I personally have never heard or seen anyone with more than 7MM.
Let's not forget that those of us who came from NW didn't have the same opportunities to collect lots and lots of MM miles so easily and cheaply.

In fact, if we're looking at MM status by hub, I suspect that ATL and other PMDL hubs have many more MMers and especially many more multiple MM status (would that be MMMers?) customers compared to PMNW hubs like MSP and DTW. Of course, as time goes on, the differences will become less pronouced due to people moving, dying, leaving for other airlines, etc.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
FWIW, MQMs earned as Amex Boosts still count toward MM status. I've earned 80k of them myself this year!

:-)
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
FWIW, MQMs earned as Amex Boosts still count toward MM status. I've earned 80k of them myself this year!

:-)
Correct - I have a DL Plat Amex and got 10,000MQMs in May (counted towards my MM total) and very recently hit 50K spend and I assume in the next few days will get another 10K MQMs also counting to MM status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.