Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need Medallion Qualification Dollars or MQDs: MQD Requirement for Medallion Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Medallion Qualification Dollars or MQDs: MQD Requirement for Medallion Status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
$230 MQD short...Help!

Make sure that any flight you book gets you enough MQDs... If you need $230 then you will need to book a flight that is around $270ish including taxes and fees.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:30 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
There is an option tomorrow for $321 (12/19) DTW-FLL.
7:25am departure, return to DTW by 2:32pm, 50 minutes in FLL.

It is an E fare so keep that in mind (no upgrades, etc.)

Or a F fare (G) on 12/26 DTW-ORD for $326
7:37am departure, return to DTW at 11:16am, 37 minutes in ORD.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by ToledoRocket
Got one more flight that will push me over MQM to gold but leaves me $230 short on MQD.

Any option besides a upgrading to FC for $600 or a mileage run? It looks to me that is all available.

Thanks
I assume from your posts you have a flight. You can upgrade the fare class but not all the way to GAP first fares
i.e. upgrade from a T fare to a K fare for $250

Obviously you'd have to look and see what fare class upgrade gives you >$230, but that is easy to do online
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL-Gold, SPG,Marriott-Plat, United-Silver, Hyatt-Plat
I would suggest you pull the trigger - $230 is better than spending $2k
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:36 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
I assume from your posts you have a flight. You can upgrade the fare class but not all the way to GAP first fares
i.e. upgrade from a T fare to a K fare for $250

Obviously you'd have to look and see what fare class upgrade gives you >$230, but that is easy to do online
That will likely incur a change fee plus the difference in fare. $250 + $200 would make it a $450 change (though might be cheaper than killing a weekend/work day).
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TTT
That will likely incur a change fee plus the difference in fare. $250 + $200 would make it a $450 change (though might be cheaper than killing a weekend/work day).
Theoretically yes. In practice, if you call DL and say that you wish to give them more money for the exact same flight you've already bought, they almost always waive the fee.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK it's unpublished policy to waive the change fee when one switches to FC/D1/business class, but not for upfaring in the same cabin. YMMV.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:39 am

Easiest Way to earn MQDs?

I'm $86 short on MQDs for 2015. Have plenty of MQMs. What's the easiest way to get the $86 MQDs? I don't really have time for another flight this year.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Belladonna4travel
I'm $86 short on MQDs for 2015. Have plenty of MQMs. What's the easiest way to get the $86 MQDs? I don't really have time for another flight this year.
Another flight this year is the best option. Purchasing 2.5K MQM is also an option, but depending on your medallion level, you're talking $1000+.

I'm assuming that you aren't anywhere close to hitting the Amex waiver. If you're within $5000, however, head on over to the manufactured spend forum.

You could also give CS a call and see if they'll push you over the top. The chances of that are slim, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Flying is the ONLY way to earn MQDs.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Flying is the ONLY way to earn MQDs.
Your post can ONLY be described as: false

The easiest way to earn MQDs is to purchase MQMs
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by ToledoRocket
Got one more flight that will push me over MQM to gold but leaves me $230 short on MQD.

Any option besides a upgrading to FC for $600 or a mileage run? It looks to me that is all available.

Thanks
Upgrade one segment only for $300
Old Dec 29, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta Gold, Alaska 75K, United & American nobody b/c who'd ever fly them
Question Trying to hit MQD before this year ends

I got fed up with United and American and switched almost exclusively to Delta this year, but didn't do so until about May or June. Since most of my flights are on government (GSA-contracted) fares, they're unrestricted tickets, but typically sell for a lot less than retail. As a consequence, I've hit well above the MQMs needed for Silver, but fell about $1200 short for MQDs. I really wanted to go into 2016 with at least Silver, so I can at least hope for the occasional Comfort+ availability. I expect to hit about 75K miles next year.

Since I was $1200 short and most of my trips are known dates 1-2 years out, I thought I could buy ahead a couple months of tickets. I put in the reservations with our government travel agent, and made sure they ticketed them immediately. (Most government fares are not ticketed and thus not paid until 3-5 days prior to departure.) So I have 3 ticketed and fully paid reservations coming up in January and February, but the MQDs have not posted to my SkyMiles account.

Am I wrong in believing I can do this? I thought I read the MQDs can post immediately when ticketed, but MQMs of course wait until you actually fly.

If MQDs won't post until I actually fly, will they at least post back-dated to the ticketing date in December 2015?

Or am I totally at a loss to make Silver by the end of this year?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta Gold, Alaska 75K, United & American nobody b/c who'd ever fly them
Can't imagine it does, but in case my typical flights matter in this scenario, the vast majority of my flights are roundtrip SJC-MSP-DCA or SJC-SLC-DCA. I also expect 1-2 SJC-JFK/LGA roundtrips per month from January to September.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
MQDs (and miles, MQMs, etc) are only earned upon completion of travel. So you wont earn anything for the flights you booked until you actually fly them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.