Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 4:06 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by melissaru
But CAN I select the C+ seat of my choice, or is the computer going to toss me in a middle seat even if windows and aisles are open?
If you get the "upgrade available" before check-in, you will be able to choose/change your seat at check-in regardless of where the upgrade assigns you a seat.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks! I'll give that a try next week.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by rpjones68
I stood right in front and waited and the lead said that was cool. She actually counted down the seconds to upgrade. Lol. T-27 seconds...
Now that's a good GA :-) definitely would have gotten a JWD from me (tho, I always seem to forget about them :-/)
Old May 25, 2016, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Flew ATL-SEA last night and there were about 25 people on the FC upgrade list but only 2 people on the C+ UG list. It looked like the flight left with maybe 5 or 6 empty middles in C+. So it appears at least on that flight that medallions were catching on and un-checking the C+ UG box.

Side note: I also noticed that both C+ UGs and my UG to FC (hooray!) appeared to clear when the lone GA was talking to pax and not actually touching her computer. Based on the "the computer decides" comment above, are gate UGs now being processed without GA intervention?
Old May 26, 2016, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Wow just wow, finally experienced first hand the stupidity of at the gate only being allowed on one UG list, C+ or FC. In other words if you want to be on the FC list you cannot be on the C+ list. And then even if you have no chance on a FC upgrade DL is telling their agents not to let elites change from FC list to C+. This is supposedly cause it's not fair, in reality they just want the $$ for C+ and will make elites sit in non C- seats.

Horrible rule Delta.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Wow just wow, finally experienced first hand the stupidity of at the gate only being allowed on one UG list, C+ or FC. In other words if you want to be on the FC list you cannot be on the C+ list. And then even if you have no chance on a FC upgrade DL is telling their agents not to let elites change from FC list to C+. This is supposedly cause it's not fair, in reality they just want the $$ for C+ and will make elites sit in non C- seats.

Horrible rule Delta.
Seriously? Other reports have indicated that people have been on both lists. What a s*** show.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:02 am

Horrible rule Delta.
Could you provide more details as others are reporting different experience. Also others had success moving from C- to C+ to F although the C+ was advance upgrades.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Doesn't make sense why one couldn't be on both lists... if you don't clear into F then you can still clear into C+. If GAs aren't allowing this then why are there two check boxes for an upgrade request into F and an 'upgrade' request into C+.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I've seen people be on both lists.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rylan
Doesn't make sense why one couldn't be on both lists... if you don't clear into F then you can still clear into C+. If GAs aren't allowing this then why are there two check boxes for an upgrade request into F and an 'upgrade' request into C+.
I agree, but DL's game is to make money over everything. And they have no problem rolling over frequent travelers who don't pay up.

Originally Posted by PayItForward
Could you provide more details as others are reporting different experience. Also others had success moving from C- to C+ to F although the C+ was advance upgrades.
Well, IME GA said you can't be on both lists. I didn't call the DM line to confirm or try to get on the other, I do know that I was UG'd to C+ on other flights on the PNR (and yes I checked UG to C+ and apply to all flights online). I know for a fact my name was not on the C+ UG list via the app or GIDS - interestingly enough there were close to 50+ pax on the UG list but only 3 on the C+ list. This seems to tell me that DL is not putting those eligible elites on the FC list onto the C+ list as well.

Now could I have been put on the C+ list as well? If not could I have at least been taken off the FC list and then put on the C+ list? I don't know what IT rules/limitations that DL has been the GA said "I can't do it". Who knows, all I know is that it appears DL is behind this.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
So now that C+ is a W fare and can be booked separately, does that mean you can't upgrade after ticketing? I'd rather be cheap, book the tickets on the DL Amex, but use my Ritz card for the 'upgraded' seat and be reimbursed for it. I don't know if that is an option now.

W to purchase is $49 more for JFK-STT ($98 roundtrip), would it cost more after ticketing? Seems cheaper than AA or UA's products, receptively, and offers a little bit more value too. For example, AA and UA usually want $40-50 each way for 2 hour flights for MCE or Economy Plus. I fly AA pretty regularly, UA once a year usually, but have not flown DL since 2002, so thanks for any responses!
Old May 26, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
... interestingly enough there were close to 50+ pax on the UG list but only 3 on the C+ list. This seems to tell me that DL is not putting those eligible elites on the FC list onto the C+ list as well.
This tells me that Delta's plan to make the C+ "upgrade" an unpalatable risk for elites due to middle seats is working perfectly, as we logically deselect the checkbox.

This way they can offer to sell us (and much more importantly, kettles) a C+ seat at OLCI even though we get them supposedly free, as happened when I checked in the other day, LAX-MSP on a 767. I was offered to 'enhance my experience' (oh that enhance word) for $59. I declined as I had an exit window seat.

Finished check in and looked at the seat map. Two middle C+ seats remained. That's an enhanced experience? OK, you get a free cocktail (but I don't drink) and a pass of slightly better snacks. In a middle seat.

I just was stunned at Delta's chutzpah. Fifty nine bucks for a middle C+ seat, 3" extra leg room, 2:59 air time?!?

If one had elected to pay the $59, would you have been able to see that it was only middles before putting in the CC? As it turned out, 4 more C+ seats opened up as PMs and DMs got D1 seats, but you'd have to hover and nab a better C+ seat.

The whole thing is absurd. And now being rolled out for Asia and Latin America. :/
Old May 26, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
Flew ATL-SEA last night and there were about 25 people on the FC upgrade list but only 2 people on the C+ UG list. It looked like the flight left with maybe 5 or 6 empty middles in C+. So it appears at least on that flight that medallions were catching on and un-checking the C+ UG box.
How long until they sell the leftover C+ seats onboard? I can't remember which carrier, but it was one of the SE Asian ones, made a pre-departure announcement that passengers should contact an FA if they wanted to purchase a seat upgrade onboard.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by anon2k2
How long until they sell the leftover C+ seats onboard? I can't remember which carrier, but it was one of the SE Asian ones, made a pre-departure announcement that passengers should contact an FA if they wanted to purchase a seat upgrade onboard.
UA does this. I don't see where the issue is, but then we're allowed to select E+ seats at booking anyways...
Old May 26, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by anon2k2
I think KLM does this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.