Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by cmd320
I really like this idea. Bolt a tray table in the middle like AA used to have on a couple rows of its 737 and upgrade the soft product to what one would find in Euro J on BA/LH and that would be something I would definitely pay for routinely.
50% more than C-? That's more than FCM.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sethb
But when I get upgraded from C+ to F, my C+ aisle seat is suddenly available at T-42 minutes.
It has never been very clear to me what happens in such a case. Assuming that there are no Medallions checking the seatmap until the last minute and in any case when the upgrade happens during boarding, how are the GA's allocating those suddenly empty C+ seats ?
And what happens if flight is not full and they stay empty after doors close; can I go to the FA, show my Skymiles card and ask to move there ?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
50% more than C-? That's more than FCM.
That means it's time to turn F into a true regional J product.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by thesaints
It has never been very clear to me what happens in such a case. Assuming that there are no Medallions checking the seatmap until the last minute and in any case when the upgrade happens during boarding, how are the GA's allocating those suddenly empty C+ seats ?
And what happens if flight is not full and they stay empty after doors close; can I go to the FA, show my Skymiles card and ask to move there ?
Now that FAs can sell C+ on board, who knows?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL G, UA G, IHG SA
Is Delta switching back to three cabins? Feels like every cabin is downgraded from old times.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by luek096
Is Delta switching back to three cabins? Feels like every cabin is downgraded from old times.
Just like the Medallion benefits have already been.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by luek096
I don't think there was ever 3 cabin service on domestic routes, except maybe for transcon or Hawaii service, right?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 6:47 pm

IIRC only the 1011 and the 777 had 3 cabins, by the end of the 90's.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by thesaints
IIRC only the 1011 and the 777 had 3 cabins, by the end of the 90's.
International Tristar 250s and 500s were definitely three class in the early 90s. By the late 90s they were in the process of being converted to two class domestic aircraft.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
Also, MD 11s had three classes of service for a while. They flew A domestic segment from Los Angeles to Orlando and back to Los Angeles after coming in from Tokyo.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
PMNW 747s had a FC cabin until sometime in the late 1990s, shortly after the experiment with the International Platinum Elite status level, before PE was introduced.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by cmd320
International Tristar 250s and 500s were definitely three class in the early 90s. By the late 90s they were in the process of being converted to two class domestic aircraft.
My first "business class" trip to Europe was in 1989 aboard an L-1011, ATL-HAM (with an intermediate stop at LGW). My recollectcion was that Medallion class was sold out (it was a Saturday afternoon departure). I flew back on the MUC-ATL non-stop, and there were only 5 or 6 people beside myself in Medallion Class. Both flights were really excellent, despite the fact that there was no catering between LGW and HAM (maybe 55 minutes in the air).

First class was 2 rows of 2 x 2 x 2 plush leather recliners. I think they served caviar, shrimp and Dom Perignon up there.

Medallion Class was something like 6 or 7 rows of 2 x 4 x 2 seating using the seat modules used in F on domestic 767s at the time. It vaguely resembled the premium economy product on VS, except that the food was really excellent, plated at your seat, and they poured Taittinger Brut champagne.

Y was 2 x 5 x 2 on the L-1011.

I think the international capacity on the L-1011 was around 280 pax (it was 302 on the domestic version).

I don't think the 160 degree cradle seats appeared until the mid 90s.

I also flew on the domestic portion of a through flight TXL-JFK-LAX on an A310 that Delta acquired from Pan Am; this would have been around 1992 or so. That was in the days when for 10,000 miles and $60.00, you could buy an upgrade at the airport counter (you could avoid the $60 fee if you sent away for the coupon and waited a couple of weeks to arrive). As there was no upgrade to Medallion Class, I got a seat in F, which on the A310 was 2 x 1 x 2 (I can't remember whether F was two or three rows). My routing was BWI-JFK-LAX-LAS.

Medallion class on the A310 was 2 x 3 x 2 (as I recall); coach was 2 x 4 x 2. On the flight I was on, Medallion class flew empty; I remember going back there so that I could sit in a window seat and stare out at a beautiful sunset.

F was pretty darn special on that trip, as Delta had a host of foreign beers to sample, and the FAs made cappuccino after dinner and served strawberries dipped in both white and dark chocolate, seemingly all you wanted. The inflight entertainment was interesting, as DL had taped the ABC Evening News with Peter Jennings which had just ended a few minutes before push back and loaded the tape on the plane which they started playing immediately after takeoff before they started playing movies.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davisew
Take the information linked in this post, add C+ to the list and I think you'll have 99% of it.

Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
I wonder if it will work like this (from a 9/28/2015 announcement):

https://pro.delta.com/content/deltap...mestic-br.html
This is getting as complicated as buying a mobile data plan..
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Now that FAs can sell C+ on board, who knows?
I just saw this occur on my LAS>JFK tonight. During beverage service the FA noticed someone sitting in a C+ seat that was empty at take off. The PAX was offered the option to stay in the seat but pay for the upgrade or move back. She paid
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto
I just saw this occur on my LAS>JFK tonight. During beverage service the FA noticed someone sitting in a C+ seat that was empty at take off. The PAX was offered the option to stay in the seat but pay for the upgrade or move back. She paid

as they should have, in one of my international flight FA comes on board and checks with everyone in the manifest and put a small post it to mark down who is "Real" C+ so that she can move them back if they invade it was SEA-PVG i believe as "Chinese" pax does do more typically

and by the way with the new fare class what they really should do is block the middle seat of 2-3-2 like Europe business class does and charge a good premium

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.