Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wasn't AF W on intraEU flights just the 3-3 seating in the back of their Eurobusiness class where people were given the leftover, meaning probably no choice, business class hot meals? These folks were packed in but still in front of the curtain.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Intraeu w was essentially benefits on the ground (and baggage allowance).
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
Interesting thought. So an DL "W" ticket will book me into AF Premium ECo then?
Perhaps but I wouldn't expect it to save you any money compared to if you bought the ticket from AF
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:59 pm

Afaik, you could have bought a premium economy ticket on AF metal and DL codeshare.
Nothing changes in that respect.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
This is alluded to already...but I can't wait for ex-US passengers to come in on a true W product like AF, then buy another W ticket on DL and wonder what the hell they just paid for.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 3:22 pm

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
I take full responsibility for this change happening. On all my flights I have ordered doubles while in C+. It is obvious that it was the extra booze that made Delta second guess their original generous gesture of free drinks and turn this into even more of a money-making (versus money-losing) proposition. My bad.

Seriously though, I had predicted when C+ was first introduced that it would become the new "upgrade", leaving the majority of us in the cold with respect to FC or D1 (real) upgrades. That appears to be happening.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by vsgvarun
You can save your seat preference in your profile, however, if your seat preference isn't available, you will have to call CS to go back to your original fare and original seat.
It sounds like there's no auto-upgrade that changes your seat, just an auto-upgrade to the fare class that allows you to change your seat to C+. So you still have to check at T-24 or T-72.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I would assume that it would work the same way as before. If a FO purchased a non-refundable C+ seat and then got upgraded, they don't get a refund. I think that they will lose their certificate after the upgrade is confirmed.

How do you think it would work if a GM purchased a C+ fare or upgraded with certificate, when it comes to the SDC policy? Does W have to be available? This might be a huge benefit because DL does not have several fare classes for C+. Essentially, if a C+ seat (W class) is available, then you can SDC for free?
That would make SDC too much easier for PM and DM (available any time there's a C+ seat open, and if it works the same as F, even if there's a C- that you're willing to take).
Old Nov 9, 2015, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CLTRob
I am based in CLT and fly AA mostly and am Platinum Elite. I have no status with Delta but fly them domestically and internationally from time to time. For business travel, I'm required to purchase Economy class. In the past, I buy the Economy ticket on my corporate travel site, then go to the Delta sight and buy-up to Comfort Plus. Am I understanding that with the future changes I'll have to pay a $200 change fee, and fare difference, to upgrade to Comfort + - since I don't have status?
There is unlikely to be a change fee involved, but the fare difference might be much more (or possibly a little less) than it is now.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by lovecabo
Seriously though, I had predicted when C+ was first introduced that it would become the new "upgrade", leaving the majority of us in the cold with respect to FC or D1 (real) upgrades. That appears to be happening.
Where does it say so ?

DL does not have several fare classes for C+.
And so ?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
I spoke with the PM line and they told me that C+ will become it's own fare on 11/14/2015.
I wonder if it will work like this (from a 9/28/2015 announcement):

https://pro.delta.com/content/deltap...mestic-br.html

In the above, Delta describes how three "branded" fares are published to the industry. 1) First Class F-upsell, 2) Main Cabin, and 3) Basic Economy.

Will C+ become the fourth "branded" fare product?

Regarding SDC and C+, as an example of a possible pattern that Delta might choose to follow, note the following booking information related to Basic Economy:
  • The fare basis code may begin with Q, K, L, U, T, X, V etc. however the booking class for Basic Economy fares will be 'E' class.
Perhaps they'll do the same for C+. Example (just a theory): "The fare basis code may begin with Q, K, L, U, T, X, V etc. however the booking class for Comfort+ fares will be 'W' class." For SDC, you'd still need Q or K or whatever to be available.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 4:03 pm

What if I want to purchase refundable C+ ?
Are all W fares going to be refundable (and consequently much more expensive than a standard coach fare ?
And if Y has to be intended as the new refundable C+ (in the sense that sits you there, if seats are available at ticketing), where is non-ref C+ going to fall pricewise in the YBMHQKLUT sequence ?
Afaik all companies with a separate premium cabin have different fare classes. i don't see how dl could do otherwise without creating a huge mess.
Btw, what happns to the newly introduced upgrades on board ?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by thesaints
Btw, what happns to the newly introduced upgrades on board ?
These were probably introduced in anticipation of this change.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
This is a RUMOR? Correct?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by mnbp
I wonder if it will work like this (from a 9/28/2015 announcement):

https://pro.delta.com/content/deltap...mestic-br.html

In the above, Delta describes how three "branded" fares are published to the industry. 1) First Class F-upsell, 2) Main Cabin, and 3) Basic Economy.

Will C+ become the fourth "branded" fare product?

Regarding SDC and C+, as an example of a possible pattern that Delta might choose to follow, note the following booking information related to Basic Economy:

Perhaps they'll do the same for C+. Example (just a theory): "The fare basis code may begin with Q, K, L, U, T, X, V etc. however the booking class for Comfort+ fares will be 'W' class." For SDC, you'd still need Q or K or whatever to be available.
Perhaps theyll go with WV, WX, WT, WU, WL, etc? Kind of like new multiple levels for N?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.