Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Grouchy
DM agent on the phone said today 'nothing changes for you guys'.
4/2 confirmed upgrades are nice for the GM/SM. Curious what the effects for Gold and Silver SM are. -ie will they still have free access to the seats 3 days (Gold) out, and Silver Medallions 1 day out.

Furthermore now Comfort Plus will become a W fare class the consequences for
a) AF/KL plats trying to book a free EC seat on a DL operated flight
b) KL flights in the future. Before you know it KL will also introduce a W fare class with all the consequences.
Interesting thought. So an DL "W" ticket will book me into AF Premium ECo then?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
The original article posted has been updated to say no chances AT THIS TIME for DM's and PM's and mentions the certificates:

http://pointsmilesandmartinis.boardi...or-medallions/

If they eliminate C+ seating for diamonds and PM's I wonder if they will make premium seats like exit rows and other choice non-E+ seats available only to DM's and PM's for free at time of booking like with the C+ changes last year.

This an downgrade for DM's and PM's since that will take inventory out of C+ but a true enhancement for FO's and GM's.

I'm hoping the FO and GM certificates are only good for domestic. It's hard enough finding a seat in C+ as it is on international. I wonder if they will exclude LAX/JFK from being eligible for certificate use the way they took the free upgrades to Delta One away for PM's and DM's

It doesn't say no chances, it says no CHANGES for Diamond and Platinum Medallions.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
W is a Premium Economy fare class on AF, including for flights sold as codeshares with DL flight numbers.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL PM
I spoke with the PM line and they told me that C+ will become it's own fare on 11/14/2015.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
W is a Premium Economy fare class on AF, including for flights sold as codeshares with DL flight numbers.
I wonder if this is really the cause of all of this. Maybe they have pressure from AF to offer W service on domestic connections. It would be very frustrating form a customer perspective to pay for W for the TATL portion and then connect to a 4 hour domestic flight in the back of the plane. In the very least a W fare should entitle you to confirmed C+ seating if you are paying $2K or more for the ticket.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL FO
So here's a question... Where will W fares fall in upgrade priority for F? Currently, if you book W for an international trip with domestic segments, the domestic segments are coded as Y. I can't imagine that W fare on a domestic ticket will garner upgrades at time of booking the way a full fare Y tickets do.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I wonder if this is really the cause of all of this. Maybe they have pressure from AF to offer W service on domestic connections. It would be very frustrating form a customer perspective to pay for W for the TATL portion and then connect to a 4 hour domestic flight in the back of the plane. In the very least a W fare should entitle you to confirmed C+ seating if you are paying $2K or more for the ticket.
My thought exactly

Originally Posted by mpheels
So here's a question... Where will W fares fall in upgrade priority for F? Currently, if you book W for an international trip with domestic segments, the domestic segments are coded as Y. I can't imagine that W fare on a domestic ticket will garner upgrades at time of booking the way a full fare Y tickets do.
W fares on AF/VS/AZ also give you 150% MQM on the entire trip, including domestic segments
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mpheels
This is a great question and part of the confusion about making a set of seats into one fare class. Technically W would be above Y, but Y (and I think B) currently grant free access to C+. Furthermore, if PM/DM members continue to sit in C+ for free, I would not expect that they automatically get ticketed into W just for choosing that seat (which they could choose on an L fare).

I wonder if the "paid/flown" would come into play. Perhaps a paid W fare would be the highest coach fare (and then we can say goodbye to anyone every buying up to it) but PMs/DMs would get automatic upgrades at time of purchase if space is available, but they would get upgrade priority or MQM bonus based on the fare paid, not flown.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:56 pm

I don't think that's necessarily true. Y is unrestricted coach fare, W designates a cabin ("cabin" in delta's case).
it doesn't make sense if delta goes to a single fare code for C+ service
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by jrl767
I really, really hope the actual language is "no changes at this time"
Stupid autocorrect. Yes fortunately it is changes and I corrected it
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Do you think that I, as a GM, will get 4 certs to use before December 31st and then another 4 to use for next year (as I've re-qualified for GM next year)? Just curious because I have some holiday travel that I'd love to use this on.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:15 pm

Book it now. i tried to book for next june and it still looks like the old c+ for a ~$100 supplement tcon/tatl
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
I wonder if this is really the cause of all of this. Maybe they have pressure from AF to offer W service on domestic connections.
Naaah, imo AF has problems enough as it is/is busy enough. Also ever been on AF domestic/intra Europe premium economy or AF EBC?
Looks like DAL is moving away from some of their 'partners/TATL JV' and going to follow their own course more and more...DAL stake in Virgin Atlantic, DL and AA ending their interline agreement, DL leaving A4A etc.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would be easy enough for DL to give C+ seats to someone who has an AF W fare.

BTW, AF has three Premium Economy fare classes. IIRC as through fares they're not booking into the same class on DL. Also, if you buy an AF flight in Premium Economy on delta.com, sometimes the domestic connecting segments are coach and sometimes FC.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I wonder if this is really the cause of all of this. Maybe they have pressure from AF to offer W service on domestic connections.
AF doesn't even sell intra-EU W anymore, and even when they did it was barely distinguishable from Y. There's no way AF is the cause.

The original posted mentioned better inventory control or something. This change would, eg, allow them to oversell C+ ("your C+ seat will be assigned at the gate"), though I suspect that's not the primary cause. Dynamic pricing seems more likely, though that's also plausible without separate fare buckets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.