Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by PayItForward
GM and FO will probably see even lesser upgrades to 1st Class (then now) not that they often happen.
As a PM, I rarely get upgraded anyway but now, I can claim I am always "upgraded" to ... C+..
Yeah
am i missing something here? why should W fares have anything to do with GM/FO FC upgrades?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vsgvarun
I just noticed that you will get 150% MQMs when flying on a purchased W fare (Delta Comfort +). It looks like DL is making it more like a Premium Economy product with bonus miles, free alcoholic beverages, premium snacks & entertainment...

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ith-delta.html
Real Premium Economy would have different and wider seats, not just a couple inches more pitch.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Meh, this is a bunch of nothing except by making it a product Delta can offer it to the masses up front. On long haul flights folks will look at the sLUT fares and compare them to a W fare. If the price is right they will buy it. Much better than buying a sLUT fare then later begin pimped into upgrading. Otherwise I am not yet seeing anything to get excited about.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
am i missing something here? why should W fares have anything to do with GM/FO FC upgrades?
Because if you buy Economy, with Comfort Plus rumoured to be a new fare class, then Economy to Comfort Plus would be legitimately considered a successful upgrade.

It will be like the hotel style where lower elite gets 1 level upgrade while higher elites gets 1 or more level upgrades.

Even if Gold / FO gets a FC seat where available, Delta gets to report higher upgrade success along with double class upgrades.

It's a win / win for Delta
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:26 am

Didn't they do mileage upgrades when it was initially released as "Economy Comfort" a few years ago?
Comfort+ currently cannot be upgraded using Skymiles
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ence-faqs.html
CAN I USE EXISTING CREDITS OR MILES TO UPGRADE TO DELTA COMFORT+?
>> Miles, eCredits and residual ticket values are not valid for Delta Comfort+ upgrades at this time.
From here, it appears upgrade with miles is only for Premium cabin

Enjoy a new way to upgrade your seat and enjoy premium amenities and comfort on your next trip. Your miles can be used to pay the difference in a Main Cabin fare and a Delta One™, First or Business Class fare for eligible flights within the U.S. 50.

Take advantage of Upgrade with Miles during an original booking directly through Delta and:

Use miles to travel in Delta One™, First or Business Class.
Receive miles and Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) credit based on the cabin flown.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:30 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by rob0225
As a GM I've pretty much given up on any change of upgrades and just settle (and am okay) with the ability to choose Comfort+ 3 days out from departure.
Agree with you on upgrades, but I've had problems with C+ as Gold.
Many times the inventory is picked over (only hamsammich's left)
or C+ is completely sold out.

At least a window or aisle seat in last exit row is better (for me) than any middle
seat in C+. An "upgrade" to a middle seat in C+ is not an upgrade but a demotion/downgrade/curse.

(Are you listening, Delta?).
Old Nov 9, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I just noticed that you will get 150% MQMs when flying on a purchased W fare (Delta Comfort +).
Except the footnote says "(5) Available on flights operated by Air France, Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia." ie: It applies only to real Premium Economy products.

Given that DL hasn't actually announced this change yet, it's unclear if there will be an MQM bonus for buying C+.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:39 am

Will be interesting to see how this rolls out. The 150% MQM is a bad idea. People could make diamond on 4 East Coast - SE Asia RT's per year. This will just even further bloat the ranks and we all know what they think about that:

“When Everyone is an Elite Flyer, No One Is”
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Whatever happens, I think its pretty safe to assume that the initial roll out and implementation will be a complete CF... be sure to closely monitor your seat assignments whenever this happens.

My main concern is that FO/GM will be subjected to 'WU type availability in order to select a C+ seat. Currently its just first come first serve at T-72 for GMs, but I can see it being a mess if they hold back a few C+ seats for sale and prevent GM/FO from picking them, basically creating a two-tier upgrade system with FCM and C+M.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
Tweet it! If Plat/Diam identify and post, might help

A public show and notification to other DL flyers. Perhaps if we make enough noise now, rules will protect us.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:59 am

Biggest change I see is treatment of additional passengers on PNR. If this is no longer a simple seat change that you can effect on the app or website....
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
This will not be welcome news to many business fliers, because most business fliers are required by company policy to only purchase regular economy. Usually add-ons to get more preferred coach seats are not allowed under most corporate travel policies, so unless you are a DM or PM that gets the upgrade automatically at time of booking, your going to be stuck in regular economy and would have to purchase the C+ upgrade with your own dollars.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bennos
Except the footnote says "(5) Available on flights operated by Air France, Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia." ie: It applies only to real Premium Economy products.

Given that DL hasn't actually announced this change yet, it's unclear if there will be an MQM bonus for buying C+.
It seems more than unlikely that C+ will earn any bonus MQM. Especially when it's given for free to DM and PM.

So the question is how are they going to differentiate real premium economy W fare (AF, Virgin) from C+ W fare (Delta) in regard to bonus MQM.

Unless the real premium economy fare is assigned a new bucket.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
I am based in CLT and fly AA mostly and am Platinum Elite. I have no status with Delta but fly them domestically and internationally from time to time. For business travel, I'm required to purchase Economy class. In the past, I buy the Economy ticket on my corporate travel site, then go to the Delta sight and buy-up to Comfort Plus. Am I understanding that with the future changes I'll have to pay a $200 change fee, and fare difference, to upgrade to Comfort + - since I don't have status?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Ledfish
This will not be welcome news to many business fliers, because most business fliers are required by company policy to only purchase regular economy. Usually add-ons to get more preferred coach seats are not allowed under most corporate travel policies, so unless you are a DM or PM that gets the upgrade automatically at time of booking, your going to be stuck in regular economy and would have to purchase the C+ upgrade with your own dollars.
I don't think that it's "most" any. Many major employers reimburse for C+/E+/MCE Preferred and the like, either based on length of flight, seniority or both. It's a good perk for those flights which don't make the cut for F/J.

Bear in mind that what nobody here knows yet is how DL will handle this on its major corporate contracts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.