Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 19, 17, 3:42 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Bowgie
Wiki Link
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM View Post
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 14, 15, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Originally Posted by Felixishim View Post
as they should have, in one of my international flight FA comes on board and checks with everyone in the manifest and put a small post it to mark down who is "Real" C+ so that she can move them back if they invade it was SEA-PVG i believe as "Chinese" pax does do more typically

and by the way with the new fare class what they really should do is block the middle seat of 2-3-2 like Europe business class does and charge a good premium
Sure; cut out 1/3 of their revenue, or break even at charging 50% more for E+ than for E-. But wait, there's more! E+ seats have more legroom than E-, so they'd need to charge even more than a 50% premium. But wait, there's more! Platinum and Diamond (and to a lesser extent Gold and Silver) get E+ seats for free, so the required upcharge percentage for kettles would be utterly ridiculous.
Old Nov 14, 15, 2:44 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM (and falling fast!), AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
What route were you on? I think this is specifically for the mid-range flights, 900-1400 miles, where previous service was sandwich or salad.
We got no lunch at all today on LAX-PDX.

I for sure thought that was w long enough flight to get something besides a snack basket.
Old Nov 14, 15, 4:42 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
We got no lunch at all today on LAX-PDX.

I for sure thought that was w long enough flight to get something besides a snack basket.
I don't know departure time, but under 900 miles calls for snack basket.
Old Nov 14, 15, 5:39 am

I'm not sure what "kettle" means so it probably means me 😳 but from my selfish perspective I've always thought the EC/C+ scheme was perfect. That little bit of legroom seems to make a big difference. And the pricing seems fair.

Can't imagine it won't become more costly once it becomes its own fare class (or upgrade class, etc.) but my hope is it doesn't get priced around 150% of a T fare, akin to Virgin Atlantic's true Premium Economy.

Speaking of which...Virgin Atlantic (at least on TATL routes) have a separate PE cabin and also off a C+ style "Extra Legroom" section in regular coach.
Old Nov 14, 15, 6:16 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003 View Post
There are exceptions. SFO-SEA, for example, gets Luvo (or is supposed to, I flew that segment not long ago and we didn't get food... I did get an apology from Delta when I pointed it out).
Old Nov 14, 15, 6:19 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Delta PM/2.8 MM; Hertz PC; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Rewards Silver
Originally Posted by BrentHutto View Post
Speaking of which...Virgin Atlantic (at least on TATL routes) have a separate PE cabin and also off a C+ style "Extra Legroom" section in regular coach.
We flew on VS this summer; our status got us into the "Extra Legroom" seats going eastbound (we ended up each getting a row to ourselves in the back of a 747 on the return, so we sat in regular coach then). I noticed that the FAs were vigilant in stopping coach passengers who hadn't paid for them from moving to these seats; you could "upgrade" to them on board with a credit card (I think they wanted something like $50).

To be honest, I thought that Delta's international C+ was a slightly better product than VS's "Extra Legroom", because Delta's AVOD is much better and Delta has a better on board choice of adult beverages. Food was about a draw. Seats were equivalent. Service by both sets of crews was really good. VS's lounges in JFK and LHR are better than the SkyClub.
Old Nov 14, 15, 7:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thesaints View Post
It has never been very clear to me what happens in such a case. Assuming that there are no Medallions checking the seatmap until the last minute and in any case when the upgrade happens during boarding, how are the GA's allocating those suddenly empty C+ seats ?
And what happens if flight is not full and they stay empty after doors close; can I go to the FA, show my Skymiles card and ask to move there ?
Aren't these the seats the FAs can now sell at the gate or above 10,000 ft?
Old Nov 14, 15, 7:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
If they are going to do "upgrades" into C+ either there are going to be unhappy people suddenly in a middle seat or the GA is going to have to run down the list and personally ask every individual if they want a middle. And to even add complexity to that - what about people who are stuck in the middle in C+ and would love to move to the aisle if an upgrade makes that available. Are they out of luck due to the seat map being locked in order to process C+ upgrades?

...hopefully these upgrades are only for selection before check in, and they don't expect to be doing "upgrades" to C+ at the gate.
I know this is all still speculation but if this is a new fare class and 'cabin' it is going to be a cluster for GAs, I think. It also may well mean that GMs will no longer be able to select their desired C+ seat at T-72, but be 'upgraded' to whatever, and then if seats are still open you can re-select.

@DeltaAssist is going to get deluged with people saying "get me my exit row aisle seat back, NOW!" followed by cursing when attentive FOs swoop in at T-72 and grab them. Followed by FOs tweeting frantically at T-24 when they get 'upgraded' to 12B from 18C on a 738.

Yes, we can deselect the 'upgrade me' box on the new Manage Upgrade. That's the real point of this whole thing -- to get lots of FOs and GMs to decline C+, so they can allocate it to last minute PMs and DMs on full fare tix.

Middle seats suck, but they suck the most for an upper elite to be in one, in back, when they at the least should have gotten a C+ middle for their $500.

And I just made GM 10 days ago, and probably won't get much use of the T-72 access to C+ going forward. I'm grumpy. And looking at an MR to make AA Gold (I'm 38 eqp's short!).
Old Nov 14, 15, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
What route were you on? I think this is specifically for the mid-range flights, 900-1400 miles, where previous service was sandwich or salad.
Ouch. Most of my domestic flights are in this range and I like the current meals reasonably well, given that these are relatively short flights. I don't want the LUVO stuff. Please, no wraps in place of a real meal, even if it's just a choice of a regular sandwich or nice big salad with some protein for lunch.
Old Nov 14, 15, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003 View Post
There are some exceptions for high-yielding business-oriented routes.
Old Nov 14, 15, 11:12 am

The Premium Economy column is now live. Looks like it is just on International routes heading to Europe for now.
Old Nov 14, 15, 11:23 am
formerly known as Delta Points

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Live now

and

and

and

Last edited by Renes Points; Nov 14, 15 at 11:42 am Reason: added INT sceenshot - txs EVA777 and SkyMiles
Old Nov 14, 15, 11:34 am

Thanks for screenshots. The International booking page indicates "Premium Economy" in place of Comfort+.
Old Nov 14, 15, 11:47 am

Programs: DL SM, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EVA777 View Post
Thanks for screenshots. The International booking page indicates "Premium Economy" in place of Comfort+.

Take notice that "Premium Economy" is on Virgin Atlantic.
Old Nov 14, 15, 11:53 am
formerly known as Delta Points

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Take notice that "Premium Economy" is on Virgin Atlantic.
Also notice the 40% price jump in $kyRubles to buy-up with points at LEVEL 1 awards!

Also, "Manage Upgrades" changed to "Request Upgrade" now:

Last edited by Renes Points; Nov 14, 15 at 12:03 pm

Search this Thread