Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2015, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by javabytes
Seems like a way for Delta to put the squeeze on their ham sandwiches.
I think you mean pink slime sandwiches
Old Nov 8, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Would make sense to merge your threat with the same from the folks on AA & UA who say the same thing.

I believe that DL sees SM as a secondary program now. HVC's come from international J / paid domestic F and large corporate accounts where substantial discounts make DL good value.

DL believes that it can compete on convenience / product / price and doesn't need to sweeten the pot the way it did back during the financial crisis.
Given that I fly TLH-PHL every week on coach fares that sometimes top $1k (and average over $700), I'm sure that Delta's bean counters would love to see me go. I may not be high value, but I sure as hell am high profit for them, especially given the dearth of upgrades I've been seeing.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by suvayanr
I've already started booking GAP fares only. I'm tired of the upgrade lottery. But if this is true I don't know why anyone would be loyal to DL.
That may well become my thought. I buy a lot of GAP fares for personal travel but I buy those on DL to get and keep status for the times when I can't buy FC outright. I value the status to get C+ when I can't get FC (either because it's out of my price range or because I'm traveling DL for work and can't buy FC). But if I can't even get C+ when I'm stuck in Y, I have no incentive to stick with DL. I may go ahead and hit DM this year to get the GUCs and then starting in 2017 (or even next year) will just start doing FCM on OAL when they offer cheaper/better alternatives.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:16 pm

I wonder if this change is why the gate agent at LAX told me today that the system wasn't allowing free C+ for silvers.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Force951
I wonder if this change is why the gate agent at LAX told me today that the system wasn't allowing free C+ for silvers.
That's most likely just your typically bad LAX agent.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:55 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
You hafto feel bad for GAs. It must be incredible pressure when they're trying to get a flight out on time, trying to figure out who is entitled to what - and who isn't! . . . . And this change adds yet another level of madness!
Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
I'm a new frequent flyer - hit GM this year in August and I'll be PM by the end of the year.

If PM's don't get consistent complimentary access to Comfort+ seats, I really doubt I'll bother to keep status with DL.

I fly out of DCA and have decent access to American, United, DL and Southwest flights.

I just can't see myself continuing to care if the chance for first class upgrades go away and it becomes a chore to get Comfort+ seating.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL PM
I called the medallion line and asked about this... A supervisor told me most of the changes:

Delta Comfort + will become a new fare. It will become W class. Passengers will have to pay a fare difference to upgrade.

The medallion program will remain the same. At booking, DM and PM tickets will be reissued to "WU" fare class immediately. GM will be reissued to WU 72 hours prior, and FO will be reissued to WU 24 hours prior. Medallions can still have 8 companions in W (C+) within the same PNR. Outside of the PNR, you can have 1 companion.

The supervisor also told me that the FC free upgrade will stay the same, but the reason they are changing comfort plus to W is because they can "better control inventory". She told me that comfort plus fares are subject to change, and will require a reissue and fare difference.

FO and GM members will get comfort plus upgrade certificates in addition to their complimentary upgrade at 72 and 24 hours. GM will get 4 certificates and FO will get 2 certificates annually. They will be using the fare class "WP".
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:11 pm

I doubt they would make another change to the cabin structure right on the heels of their basic economy change. It's obvious that many of the changes they're making do not directly benefit the customers, apart from DL having more cash to run more routes with.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:16 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
So, if what's mentioned above, that the tickets have to be reissued, does that mean a change fee also?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:23 pm

Sounds like an agent issue. This FO flew 4 segments yesterday. Three upgrades to C+ and one to F with no issues.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by vsgvarun
I called the medallion line and asked about this... A supervisor told me most of the changes:

Delta Comfort + will become a new fare. It will become W class. Passengers will have to pay a fare difference to upgrade.

The medallion program will remain the same. At booking, DM and PM tickets will be reissued to "WU" fare class immediately. GM will be reissued to WU 72 hours prior, and FO will be reissued to WU 24 hours prior. Medallions can still have 8 companions in W (C+) within the same PNR. Outside of the PNR, you can have 1 companion.

The supervisor also told me that the FC free upgrade will stay the same, but the reason they are changing comfort plus to W is because they can "better control inventory". She told me that comfort plus fares are subject to change, and will require a reissue and fare difference.

FO and GM members will get comfort plus upgrade certificates in addition to their complimentary upgrade at 72 and 24 hours. GM will get 4 certificates and FO will get 2 certificates annually. They will be using the fare class "WP".
But what if I want my aisle preferred seat vs a middle C+? I don't want to be auto upgraded.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by davetravels
So, if what's mentioned above, that the tickets have to be reissued, does that mean a change fee also?
I imagine it will be exactly the same as current FC upgrades. (No change fee).

If the above changes are correct, I actually think it's a good thing. As GM I almost always get C+ but it requires hourly seat map checking. Would be nice to "guarantee" C+ 4 times when I know I'll want it.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vsgvarun

This would be a slight improvement, if true. And these days, that's worth celebrating.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
No. Just like before, upgrading from main cabin to FC, there is no change fee because you are upgrading to a premium cabin. Same thing will happen. No change fee, only a fare difference.

Here is the bad part for FO and GM:

Say I purchase a ticket from LGA to MSP for $482.20 in Main Cabin, and the comfort plus fare is $532.20. A week later, I decide to purchase comfort plus. The new fares are $660.20 for Main Cabin, and $702.20 for C+. I will have to pay the difference in fare which is $220.00!

This is the negative for non-elites and FO/GM. It's a positive for PM/DM because now there will be less people who will pay for it, and more open seats to choose from.

Just like the FC upgrade, when you get upgraded at the 24/72 hour C+ upgrade window, if you don't like your seat, you will have to call CS to go back into your original fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.