Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by cmd320
Does anyone know if this change is going to impact existing reservations or if this will be applied only to reservations going forward?
For flights before next March (I believe) there's no change.

If you're DM or PM, you can get C+ at time of ticketing, no change there.

The "request upgrade" option would seem to suck for GM and FO: there's no way to say "Give me C+ aisle or leave me where I am now".
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
I wish it is easier to post screenshots -,-

IMPORTANT CHANGES TO DELTA COMFORT+™

Beginning with travel departing May 16, 2016, Delta Comfort+™ will appear as an option for booking along with Main Cabin and First Class on select flights. Complimentary upgrades to Delta Comfort+™ are still available for eligible customers. To ensure that you are placed in the queue for a complimentary Delta Comfort+™ or First Class upgrade, please check the box(es) in the Request Upgrade section below.

To see what else is changing and learn how it affects you, Click here

this message now show on the top of the website but when you click "Click here" it is just the normal comfort+ landing page, they are prop. still updating.. This message does not appear on any itin that is not showing manage upgrade so like upgrade ineligible do not have that
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by jrl767
this is also true for "Consultant Day" flights back to ATL: back in Sep, on a Thurs evening BWI-ATL I was 35/78 for 2 seats on a 739
Jeez don't get me started on that. Out of MSN (of all places) where I used to be based the UG list was 60+ for all Monday/Thursday flights. Probably a matter of the large electronic medical records concern I was a part of.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
Jeez don't get me started on that. Out of MSN (of all places) where I used to be based the UG list was 60+ for all Monday/Thursday flights. Probably a matter of the large electronic medical records concern I was a part of.
Sounds like an epic UG list
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: DL Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
FYI, my son who's traveling with me tomorrow, is now listed as "Not Upgrade Eligible" when in fact he's my requested Companion Upgrade. I called the PM line and they see him but no dice online for me. Fun fun! Not that matters because his chance of clearing are nil.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't see that text, but it sure doesn't sound good. In fact it implies that everyone will need to enter some C+ 'upgrade list' even if its free, so that you may not actually get it at booking.

Anyway, I'm going to wait until whatever happens this weekend until calling about my itinerary with GUCs. No point in messing with it when there are sure to be more changes to the website over the next couple days. Earlier this morning they had 'manage upgrades' and now it says 'not upgrade eligible' also.

I strongly suggest anyone traveling soon to watch the airport upgrade list, as there are reports of the priority being ordered incorrectly (DMs being behind PM, fare bucket not prioritizing etc).
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I will pretty much never check any box that auto-"upgrades" me to C+. There are far too many cases where certain C- seats are better than certain C+ seats (e.g., exit row aisle vs. C+ middle).
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jrl767
this is also true for "Consultant Day" flights back to ATL: back in Sep, on a Thurs evening BWI-ATL I was 35/78 for 2 seats on a 739
There's a "longest UG list ever" thread or something around here somewhere. In that thread, I reported a Thursday evening LGA-ATL flight where there were more people on the UG list than there were Y seats on that aircraft. In the 160s IIRC.

GA was playing the VDB game, but all I wanted to do was get home.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That would permit us to see whether there's upgrade inventory (RP/OP) on the flight and I don't think DL would want that to happen.
I thought I remember one of DL's IT road maps from forever ago including plans to allow customers to upgrade online.

Or perhaps to them, that just meant the ability to buy up to a GAP fare.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
I will pretty much never check any box that auto-"upgrades" me to C+. There are far too many cases where certain C- seats are better than certain C+ seats (e.g., exit row aisle vs. C+ middle).
Agreed - the problem could be that everyone gets moved into C+ seats (especially the bulkhead that often show up at T-24) and then there are none left at all.

DL really needs to find a way for C+ upgrades to occur ONLY with the preferred seat type -- i.e. aisle or window. Does anyone really want a C+ middle seat if they're in an exit row aisle?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
I strongly suggest anyone traveling soon to watch the airport upgrade list, as there are reports of the priority being ordered incorrectly (DMs being behind PM, fare bucket not prioritizing etc).
How would one know if they're at the wrong place on the upgrade list?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by sethb
For flights before next March (I believe) there's no change.

If you're DM or PM, you can get C+ at time of ticketing, no change there.

The "request upgrade" option would seem to suck for GM and FO: there's no way to say "Give me C+ aisle or leave me where I am now".
This, precisely. GM and FO are going to lose out big time if that's the case.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by CabinCaptive
DL really needs to find a way for C+ upgrades to occur ONLY with the preferred seat type -- i.e. aisle or window. Does anyone really want a C+ middle seat if they're in an exit row aisle?
This.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Seems to be work in progress. I have a flight in March which now says manage upgrades. It seems to show that I have requested FC on all 4 segments, but every time I go back in it shows, after the first segment, the box to check for the remaining segments. When I check it, it removes the box and lists all 4 segments. Until I go back in again and see the box (good old Groundhound Day)

I do not see the message mentioned above about the future selecting of the C+ seats. I wonder if that will be first come first served and then applied at T-72 for me. Right now I can't request an upgrade for the C+ on that March flight (of course, I can purchase the seat).
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
How would one know if they're at the wrong place on the upgrade list?
I'm sure an FO who's listed #1 of 53 won't say a word, I wouldn't. If I was a DM on an F fare and #53 of 53, I'd sure make some noise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.