Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
I'm Platinum and want to book an international award flight for my wife (no status) and I. It shows 35,000 miles each (one way) for Main Cabin (N) and 45,000 each for C+. If I book us both on the same reservation, will we be or have a chance to be upgraded to C+? When I click the "View upgrade eligibility" button, it shows "Upgrade available to Delta Comfort+".
COMPANION ACCESS

Companion upgrades must be requested. You can request your companion upgrade at delta.com, by calling Reservations, or at the airport. You and a traveling companion may both enjoy a Complimentary Upgrade to Delta Comfort+ when traveling on Delta and certain Delta Connection carriers.
HOW IT WORKS TODAY:
TRAVELING WITH ONE COMPANION IN THE SAME RESERVATION:

You will both be eligible for a Delta Comfort+ upgrade as long as the companion is a SkyMiles member. The upgrade window for both members is based on the member with the lowest tier. For example, a Platinum and Silver Medallion member traveling together will clear at the Silver window. For general SkyMiles members in a reservation with a Medallion member, upgrades will be available no more than 24 hours prior to departure.

HOW IT WILL WORK STARTING THIS FALL (OFFICIAL START DATE TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON):

Upgrades will clear based on the status of the higher-tiered member, if available. This rule applies to companions who are Medallion members themselves as well as general SkyMiles members who do not have Medallion status and partner airline elite members. For example, if a Diamond Medallion member and general member are traveling together, both upgrades will clear at the Diamond window, if available.

I suppose I'll wait until some time in the Fall to book so we will both have a better chance of upgrade.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
if mileage is good, give it a try. You can always cancel within 24 hours with no penalty. I believe the rules have not changed for international flights so I think you can select C+ for those on same reservation as you.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
COMPANION ACCESS

Companion upgrades must be requested. You can request your companion upgrade at delta.com, by calling Reservations, or at the airport. You and a traveling companion may both enjoy a Complimentary Upgrade to Delta Comfort+ when traveling on Delta and certain Delta Connection carriers.
HOW IT WORKS TODAY:

You will both be eligible for a Delta Comfort+ upgrade as long as the companion is a SkyMiles member. The upgrade window for both members is based on the member with the lowest tier. For example, a Platinum and Silver Medallion member traveling together will clear at the Silver window. For general SkyMiles members in a reservation with a Medallion member, upgrades will be available no more than 24 hours prior to departure.

HOW IT WILL WORK STARTING THIS FALL (OFFICIAL START DATE TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON):

Upgrades will clear based on the status of the higher-tiered member, if available. This rule applies to companions who are Medallion members themselves as well as general SkyMiles members who do not have Medallion status and partner airline elite members. For example, if a Diamond Medallion member and general member are traveling together, both upgrades will clear at the Diamond window, if available.

I suppose I'll wait until some time in the Fall to book so we will both have a better chance of upgrade.
Once the change takes effect, it will apply to tickets already booked.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Here's my story, it's sad but true:

I was flying PHX-ATL-RDU last Sunday. I didn't realize that if you didn't check the upgrade to C+ box, you couldn't select a C+ seat on check in. That was stupid and it's my mistake. Once I got to the airport, I selected the upgrade to C+ box at the check in machine. The app showed me as #1 for 2 on the C+ "Upgrade" List with three C+ seats opened. However, I kept monitoring it and I watched the three C+ seats go to standby customers. Then two people were upgraded to F and the C+ seats they were upgraded out of also went to standby customers. I died at #1 on the list for 0 seats.

I've sent a complaint to Delta, we'll see what happens.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:15 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by CMK10

I was flying PHX-ATL-RDU last Sunday. I didn't realize that if you didn't check the upgrade to C+ box, you couldn't select a C+ seat on check in. That was stupid and it's my mistake. Once I got to the airport, I selected the upgrade to C+ box at the check in machine. The app showed me as #1 for 2 on the C+ "Upgrade" List with three C+ seats opened. However, I kept monitoring it and I watched the three C+ seats go to standby customers. Then two people were upgraded to F and the C+ seats they were upgraded out of also went to standby customers. I died at #1 on the list for 0 seats.

But this new policy was the result of the survey delta had everyone fill out ...You mean you didnt get one?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by CMK10

I've also noticed C+ seats going to standbys and completely bypassing the C+ upgrade list. I fly on M88s and M90s quite a bit, and my favorite seats are the "bulkhead" on the two-seat side.

Ever since 5/16, I've noticed those seats stay blocked all the way up until boarding, at which point people from the standby list are cleared into them. Even when I pay for W, I can't select these seats...
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
I've also noticed C+ seats going to standbys and completely bypassing the C+ upgrade list. I fly on M88s and M90s quite a bit, and my favorite seats are the "bulkhead" on the two-seat side.

Ever since 5/16, I've noticed those seats stay blocked all the way up until boarding, at which point people from the standby list are cleared into them. Even when I pay for W, I can't select these seats...
I've been assigned Comfort+ twice while traveling nonrev while there was Comfort+ upgrade list. In fact, it was a bulkhead seat, and the guy next to me was a nonrev too. I hope that wasn't your flight! Nonrevs aren't supposed to ask about seat assignments. I did a travel survey about the upgrade list being skipped (my seat was assigned before boarding). These were Skywest employees at the gate.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by gooselee

me thinks Delta reserves these seats for last minute pax requiring bassinets?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:36 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
There's not a real bulkhead there on MDs, so no bassinet can be attached there.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I frequently see standby getting cleared into C+.

In fact it it is a common occurrence to see a lot of pax on the F upgrade list, while the C+ upgrade list has little to no pax on it and a good amount of available seats.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:51 pm

Am I the only person seeing Delta Comfort seats for the exact same price as Economy? I have booked two flights lately, one to MCO and one to CLE, where the Comfort was the same price as the Economy. Not being a total idiot I picked the better seat, but it just seemed strange!
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
Am I the only person seeing Delta Comfort seats for the exact same price as Economy? I have booked two flights lately, one to MCO and one to CLE, where the Comfort was the same price as the Economy. Not being a total idiot I picked the better seat, but it just seemed strange!

Maybe you are getting a targeted deal, as compared to gate lice like me.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:58 pm
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
Ok...tried searching some in this forum but not sure of what I'm finding.

My situation:

Currently down to a GM but will have NO Medallion status after Jan 2017. Looking to book Award travel in May 2017 to FRA (or WAW) from MCO for myself and my brother-in-law. I want to book Main Cabin and upgrade to C+ on the way over and then book Delta One/Biz Award on the return trip.

I see the "ads" saying to upgrade to C+ for $99 per and that's what I'd like to do but is this something I have to book the regular Economy award and then pay to upgrade after? Or is that even possible with the new changes? If I choose Comfort+ in the Award booking engine I get no results.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
My flights to or from Aruba don't have Comfort Plus seats at all. Is that normal? 757 on the way down 737 on the way back.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by MrTemporal
Maybe you are getting a targeted deal, as compared to gate lice like me.
I think I am pretty close to "gate lice" My only status is from my 2 MM. I am mainly out of the game now (and I don't really miss it!)
But it does make me wonder how on some routes this 'upgrade" money making strategy is working for Delta.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.