Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Old Jun 3, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Last week United got $2k worth of last minute domestic coach tickets for two trips I would ordinarily have spent on Delta. I book all my flights last minute, as in buy at 4pm for 5am flight, sometimes quicker, and sometimes on the run while connecting on my way somewhere else. My booking process is crazy enough without this C+ nonsense. If DL is gonna give me the "upgrade" anyway, just let me pick the dang seat during booking!

And for those of my fellow domestic segment flyers who also fly UA, I had casual conversation with a UA mgmt guy of 18 years, at the UA club at ORD yesterday who said United is done copying DL and has no plans to follow DLs lead on this. We'll see, but maybe ...
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Widgets
It's funny because in reality, seatbelts aren't supposed to ever be crossed like that.
Really? Wow. Notice two of the seats have this issue?

I am rather shocked by the reactions to folks by this one change. Granted, it is a really bad one but still. All the SkyMiles destruction and folks stayed. They are departing over this!
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Renes Points
I am rather shocked by the reactions to folks by this one change. Granted, it is a really bad one but still. All the SkyMiles destruction and folks stayed. They are departing over this!
Economics says it's the margin that matters.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: delta dm
Really? Wow. Notice two of the seats have this issue?

Its the straw that broke the camels back, its being finally pushed over the edge of the cliff, people with mba's and executive managemnet should be fired over this...its not this particular change its the "25 enhancements" over 2 yrs leading upto this. All they had to do was keep the FC upgrade system the same, give one c+ companion and all would be good. They couldnt even get that right. What a bunch of fools.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm frustrated by the new C+ system as well.

But, as with previous changes, so long as DL offers a comparable hard product and routes/schedules/reliability/prices that work best for me, I'll still be flying with them and finding a way to make the best of it, just as I make the best of the days where UA or AA offers me a better schedule/price than DL. Not that hard when you're saving $100 and a connection.

Getting me where I need to go when I need to go there will always be factor #1 and these changes don't really alter that equation IMO.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 6:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by anon2k2
Economics says it's the margin that matters.
Yes but...

Originally Posted by dzflyer
Its the straw that broke the camels back, its being finally pushed over the edge of the cliff, people with mba's and executive managemnet should be fired over this...its not this particular change its the "25 enhancements" over 2 yrs leading upto this. All they had to do was keep the FC upgrade system the same, give one c+ companion and all would be good. They couldnt even get that right. What a bunch of fools.
Again, not trying to sound flippant here so apologizes in advance if it comes across sounding that way.

C+ is truly not that special. If it were a real PE seat I would get the frustration. I am happy as I can be in exit row when not in 1st. I just don't check the C+ box (many times).

Now with SkyMiles the destruction has been brutal. Think of:

End of stopovers
End of "real" open jaw perk
Additive prices it pricing as two tickets (or more)
Massive jumps in prices
Hiding award charts
and on and on forever

and yet folks, and elites, put up with it over and over and over. Now, a cruddy C+ seat issue and folks go bat crazy. I just don't get it.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: delta dm
Yes but...

Again, not trying to sound flippant here so apologizes in advance if it comes across sounding that way.

C+ is truly not that special. If it were a real PE seat I would get the frustration. I am happy as I can be in exit row when not in 1st. I just don't check the C+ box (many times).

End of stopovers
Massive jumps in prices
Hiding award charts
and on and on forever

and yet folks, and elites, put up with it over and over and over. Now, a cruddy C+ seat issue and folks go bat crazy. I just don't get it.
I understand what you are saying....i agree it is hard to believe that this is what finally pushed them away but what i am saying is it isnt the c+ persay as much as they are just tired if delta overall making things worse with every change they make. Eventually they think maybe the only way delta will finally get the clue is write a letter and book away. I fly delta purely for the schedule and they are on time. However once I hit 125000 delta doesnt see as much if my business as it could when they use to get 100 percent. Its their call but now its making alot of people go completely away...time will tell if its the right or wrong strategy....if feel its wrong and delta will eventually pay the price.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
if you're logged in on the website, just click on "View Upgrade Availability" right above the basic coach fare ... if it says "UG Available to C+" -- and the seat map shows acceptable C+ seats -- go ahead and purchase the ticket (and skip seat selection); you should get the confirmation email and the UG email in a couple minutes, and you can then select any C+ seat (if it didn't auto-assign the one you had your eye on)
Thanks, jrl767.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Yes but...

End of stopovers
Massive jumps in prices
Hiding award charts
and on and on forever

Notice that your list of sins didn't include anything about the on-plane experience?

My priority is seating comfort. Everyone has killed general economy seating, so nothing to complain about or choose a carrier over. But DL has done 2 things already, vs United anyway, that are pretty sketchy. (1) Tiny C+ sections, and (2) now in 739s, which is a huge fleet, even the exit row seats suck. They could have just had decent exit rows, but they don't - instead they took out the one seat and kept everything tight as a drum. It's almost just spite - they took out 2 seats to avoid giving 5-6" of pitch to 12 people. Hard to even understand why they did it! So there's hardly any decent or acceptable seats on that plane.

Now they tell us they're going to upgrade us into a middle seat? Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Both airlines, for example, are building huge 739 fleets; they're my most frequently flown on both airlines. Compare the number of acceptable seats on them.

I left UA for DL because they'd become intolerable. Now DL is full of themselves and getting the same way, and you have to show some time that you won't take what they're dishing out. I think this is my Rubicon. Fly 'em if I can get an instant upgrade; otherwise buy UA. Or just switch if that gets too tiresome.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dzflyer
I understand what you are saying....i agree it is hard to believe that this is what finally pushed them away but what i am saying is it isnt the c+ persay as much as they are just tired if delta overall making things worse with every change they make. Eventually they think maybe the only way delta will finally get the clue is write a letter and book away. I fly delta purely for the schedule and they are on time. However once I hit 125000 delta doesnt see as much if my business as it could when they use to get 100 percent. Its their call but now its making alot of people go completely away...time will tell if its the right or wrong strategy....if feel its wrong and delta will eventually pay the price.
Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
Notice that your list of sins didn't include anything about the on-plane experience?

My priority is seating comfort. Everyone has killed general economy seating, so nothing to complain about or choose a carrier over. But DL has done 2 things already, vs United anyway, that are pretty sketchy. (1) Tiny C+ sections, and (2) now in 739s, which is a huge fleet, even the exit row seats suck. They could have just had decent exit rows, but they don't - instead they took out the one seat and kept everything tight as a drum. It's almost just spite - they took out 2 seats to avoid giving 5-6" of pitch to 12 people. Hard to even understand why they did it! So there's hardly any decent or acceptable seats on that plane.

Now they tell us they're going to upgrade us into a middle seat? Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Both airlines, for example, are building huge 739 fleets; they're my most frequently flown on both airlines. Compare the number of acceptable seats on them.

I left UA for DL because they'd become intolerable. Now DL is full of themselves and getting the same way, and you have to show some time that you won't take what they're dishing out. I think this is my Rubicon. Fly 'em if I can get an instant upgrade; otherwise buy UA. Or just switch if that gets too tiresome.
Thank you both. See you points.

I really wounder if Delta feels they have reached an "enough is enough" point or if they will ONLY look at income numbers, see them go up, and say see we are still winning.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

My priority is seating comfort. Everyone has killed general economy seating, so nothing to complain about or choose a carrier over. But DL has ... Tiny C+ sections
I've long been irritated by the relatively small number of C+ seats throughout the DL fleet ... haven't been in the back on the 764 or the A330, but so far I think the TCON 757s are far and away the best

now in 739s ... even the exit row seats suck. They could have just had decent exit rows, but they don't - instead they took out the one seat and kept everything tight as a drum. It's almost just spite - they took out 2 seats to avoid giving 5-6" of pitch to 12 people. Hard to even understand why they did it!
nope, imo it's actually pretty simple to understand: they designed the interior configuration to accommodate the maximum number of seats for which the jet is certified ... if I remember from my Customer Engineering days at Boeing, the triple seats can be positioned at 1" intervals along the seat tracks, so adding extra pitch in the two exit rows would force them to remove an entire row of six seats (unless, of course, they opted to REDUCE pitch in the last ten or twelve rows by an inch .. I know, don't give 'em any ideas ...)
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
For the three hour flight I am taking later today there is only one available seat in C+, a middle. The upgrade list for first has 27 people on it. The upgrade list for C+ has five. Gonna be a bunch of angry elites if C+ aisles open up at the last minute and nobody who didn't take a middle seat gamble can get in to them.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:51 am

Has anyone seen this situation:

Before FC upgrade window, UG eligibility shows as "Upgrade Available to First" when corresponding space between Economy Class/ W / First Class is available?

If I were to book an X fare 2 months out, would it really UG me to W and then to A?

Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
As a GM you would not be upgraded to C+ two months out. A PM or DM would, if upgrade space is available.

AFAIK at this point no one can be medallion-upgraded to F further out than the 5/6 day window now. Previously a Y fare would have upgraded right after ticketing if upgrade space was available but that recently changed.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by huskerchad
As a GM you would not be upgraded to C+ two months out. A PM or DM would, if upgrade space is available.

AFAIK at this point no one can be medallion-upgraded to F further out than the 5/6 day window now. Previously a Y fare would have upgraded right after ticketing if upgrade space was available but that recently changed.
No Medallion is upgraded outside of their respective priority/window...maybe the first line is just a mistype (about PMs and DMs being upgraded two months out if space is available).

The website showing "Upgrade Available to First" is simply telling you that the flight has RU/OU space available. So if you were to apply a RUC or GUC or the appropriate amount of miles to upgrade, there is upgrade inventory available to immediately confirm it. Otherwise, upgrades can be available but won't be divvied out as complimentary upgrades to anyone until your respective complimentary upgrade window opens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.