Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 19, 17, 3:42 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Bowgie
Wiki Link
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM View Post
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Old May 27, 16, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by TOPGUN750 View Post
Delta is f*cking over families left and right of Diamond, Platinum medallions. Its a joke. One thing not to allow 8 companions but to not even allow a family of four to sit together and get the small benefit of a couple of inches of legroom is ludicrous! Has anyone started a petition or drafting a letter addressed from XXX number of medallions to senior people at Delta. Maybe if they see something from 1,000+ medallions responsible for millions of dollars of business they will get their heads out of their asses and make the change.
They already are making a change in the fall to allow DM and PM to book C+ at time of booking with one companion.

I think that's fair, and is much better than the crap we have now.

IMO, allowing 3 companions would be too many. If you really want to sit together, you're free to do so in an exit row or any other economy row. If you really want C+ for your whole family... pay for it. Not like children really get an advantage from the extra leg room or free booze...
Old May 27, 16, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by TOPGUN750 View Post
Delta is f*cking over families left and right of Diamond, Platinum medallions. Its a joke. One thing not to allow 8 companions but to not even allow a family of four to sit together and get the small benefit of a couple of inches of legroom is ludicrous! Has anyone started a petition or drafting a letter addressed from XXX number of medallions to senior people at Delta. Maybe if they see something from 1,000+ medallions responsible for millions of dollars of business they will get their heads out of their asses and make the change.
I don't think you're in the majority about letting entire families fill up C+.
Old May 27, 16, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by appleguru View Post
They already are making a change in the fall to allow DM and PM to book C+ at time of booking with one companion.

I think that's fair, and is much better than the crap we have now.

IMO, allowing 3 companions would be too many. If you really want to sit together, you're free to do so in an exit row or any other economy row. If you really want C+ for your whole family... pay for it. Not like children really get an advantage from the extra leg room or free booze...
I agree I think 1 companion is fair and I fly for business a lot with more than one person who isn't PM or DM and on pretty expensive fares at times. Or the other alternative would be to give xx companion certificates a year based on status. That way if someone is flying with their family of four once or twice a year they can all be upgraded to C+ or if I fly with three people from the office they can all sit in C+ once or twice a year.
Old May 27, 16, 10:36 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by anon2k2 View Post
How long until they sell the leftover C+ seats onboard? I can't remember which carrier, but it was one of the SE Asian ones, made a pre-departure announcement that passengers should contact an FA if they wanted to purchase a seat upgrade onboard.
Aren't annoucnements like that really more about making it clear you can't seat poach yourself to a higher class cabin? Kinda like hotels that have placards saying how much it costs to buy towels/robes aren't actually expecting to sell any (unless they are a spa or something), it is to cut down on people stealing them.
Old May 27, 16, 11:17 am

Unbelievable!!!!!! I am sitting at the gate. All day long I was 1 out of 1 for C+ seat with 12 or 11 C+ available. However, as soon as GAs started working the flight, they assigned all C+ seats to passengers with no seat assignments (i.e. no status passengers who did not pay for the seats).

When I asked why I was not upgraded, I was told it is because they had to use the seats for other people.

Should I complain to Delta CS?

I am steaming a little bit inside, I did not cause a scene though. I just said OK, and left.
Old May 27, 16, 11:20 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DiamondInTheRough View Post
Unbelievable!!!!!! I am sitting at the gate. All day long I was 1 out of 1 for C+ seat with 12 or 11 C+ available. However, as soon as GAs started working the flight, they assigned all C+ seats to passengers with no seat assignments (i.e. no status passengers who did not pay for the seats).

When I asked why I was not upgraded, I was told it is because they had to use the seats for other people.

I am steaming a little bit inside, I did not cause a scene though. I just said OK, and left.
Yeah, I'd be pretty pissed too... Shoot DL a note, press for details on what happened.

If they're going to do this whole "upgrade" thing, they have to respect it or it all falls apart even worse than it is today.
Old May 27, 16, 11:24 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat

I would complain too. Your C+ upgrade, when available (which it was) is a published benefit of your medallion status. If they had processed the C+ upgrades first, by status, they would have had enough C- seats for the unassigned pax. Just plain stupid!
Old May 27, 16, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by BarbiJKM View Post
I would complain too. Your C+ upgrade, when available (which it was) is a published benefit of your medallion status. If they had processed the C+ upgrades first, by status, they would have had enough C- seats for the unassigned pax. Just plain stupid!
I was afraid this is what was going to happen. Must get out on time...just put standbys into the C+ seats.
Old May 27, 16, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton
I was just told by a Delta phone rep that I should expect to only get a Comfort+ upgraded at the gate if I am travelling with a companion. Meaning I have no say in my seat and am at the mercy of gate agent to handle my upgrade while they are doing FC upgrades and seating all of the standbys... I can't believe how convoluted and frustrating this new process is compared with how simple it used to be. They are really destroying the value of the Comfort+ seats and therefore my frequent flyer loyalty...
Old May 27, 16, 4:16 pm

I now think that this GA really needs some serious training. As it turns out our flight was oversold by 2 people, so my husband and my son volunteered to take a later flight. As a result our PNRs got split. I have access to my son's and my husband's accounts (I manage their travel, they are clueless). I looked into their accounts after I landed and lo and behold, their return leg got cancelled because they were marked as no-shows on the original flight. I had to call CS and ask them to reinstate their flights. Of course they lost their original seats, but a nice CS rep still put them in the preferred seats using my status.

So I think this GA has no idea what she is supposed to do, whether it is processing upgrades or handling VDB.

Also, I ended up sitting in the row after C+. Passenger in front of me who was "upgraded" into C+ seat (I know because it was one of the empty seats prior to GA assigning them) did not even know that the alcoholic drinks were free. He tried to purchase alcohol. These 11 people who ended up in C+ seats probably did not know or even appreciated the benefits of C+.
Old May 27, 16, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by TPADave View Post
I have no problem with small people filling the seats around me... They take up much less room and are as easy to ignore as the big people with my headphones on!
To each his own, but could not disagree more. One thing I hate about living in Orlando is that the flights are always filled with extremely loud, rambunctious, and usually obnoxious kids as well as crying babies. The worst is their affinity for kicking my seat back (another C+ benefit - extra space to keep that from happening). Because I usually only fly once or twice a year, paying a W fare is a lot cheaper than buying noise cancelling headphones.
Old May 27, 16, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by Saribo View Post
I was just told by a Delta phone rep that I should expect to only get a Comfort+ upgraded at the gate if I am travelling with a companion. Meaning I have no say in my seat and am at the mercy of gate agent to handle my upgrade while they are doing FC upgrades and seating all of the standbys... I can't believe how convoluted and frustrating this new process is compared with how simple it used to be. They are really destroying the value of the Comfort+ seats and therefore my frequent flyer loyalty...
Not trying to be rude here but you realize that the "loyalty" you speak of is 100% one-sided, right? There is not a single airline that has any "loyalty" to anyone so why should you be "loyal" to them? Buy the best ticket that maximizes value and convenience ditch the "loyalty", it makes life a lot easier.
Old May 27, 16, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, D23 Charter Member, Southwest A-LIst, JetBlue Mosaic
This was my experience this past Monday flying JFK-PDX. I booked on a flight certificate and was only allowed to pay to upgrade to Preferred at time of booking. I called and spoke to 3 different departments, none of which would allow me to pay to upgrade to C+. I have been able to do this in the past without issue.

My flight had 10 open C+ seats listed on the gate monitor. I asked the GA about paying to upgrade as did 3 other passengers on line behind me. The GA would not let any of us pay to upgrade. Flight flew from JFK-PDX with 10 open C+ seats. Not sure what the goal is here but if they don't have enough Medallions to fill these seats, then they should sell them for cash at the gate after a certain point. My flight departed with money left on the table.
Old May 27, 16, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Platinum, Walk & Transit Scores 96
Originally Posted by RWPrincess View Post
My flight had 10 open C+ seats listed on the gate monitor. I asked the GA about paying to upgrade as did 3 other passengers on line behind me. The GA would not let any of us pay to upgrade. Flight flew from JFK-PDX with 10 open C+ seats. Not sure what the goal is here but if they don't have enough Medallions to fill these seats, then they should sell them for cash at the gate after a certain point. My flight departed with money left on the table.
Tough to say whether this is intentional policy, a rogue agent, or yet another unintended consequence or IT glitch. What doesn't make sense is that, if the F upgrade list is cleared and there are open seats, GAs are empowered to upsell. Like F, C+ is now a separate fare class, so that in itself shouldn't prevent gate upselling (which had been happening for C+ before 5/16). It's definitely bizarre.
Old May 27, 16, 8:17 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat Premier, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
This happened to me last night on my connection home (ATL-PBI). I was 1 of 3 for C+ as an FO, but didn't get the upgrade. DL app showed standby list was filled with 10B, 10E, and 12C as the top 3 assigned seats, and those are all C+ seats on the MD90.

On a side note, just found out that I'm going to be doing a lot of SFO/SMF runs this fall, so should get to PM this year.

Search this Thread