Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 9:49 am

So, I am Gold and have my immediate family (+3) on my PNR for my flight tomorrow. Obviously, since C+ is now an upgrade, I cannot request C+ even for myself and Mr. DITR, because everyone is on the same PNR.

There are plenty of C+ seats left.

Do you think I can call CS 24 hours prior to flight and ask CS to put either two people from my PNR or all four into C+.

If CS will agree to put two people in C+, can they do it without splitting PNR?

Alternatively, can I make request at airport, by asking GA to do this for us? If yes, can I ask for all 4 people to be moved or just 2?
Old May 26, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by DiamondInTheRough
So, I am Gold and have my immediate family (+3) on my PNR for my flight tomorrow. Obviously, since C+ is now an upgrade, I cannot request C+ even for myself and Mr. DITR, because everyone is on the same PNR.

Do you think I can call CS 24 hours prior to flight and ask CS to put either two people from my PNR or all four into C+.

Alternatively, can I make request at airport, by asking GA to do this for us? If yes, can I ask for all 4 people to be moved or just 2?
You can ask... But per official policy, you'd have to split the PNR, and then you'd only get one companion.
Old May 26, 2016, 11:47 am

I called and I cannot have two people move to C+ without splitting PNR, which I don't want to do. So annoying.

I'll try at the gate.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

You should have had your husband book a reservation with one of your kids on it and you with the other if you husband has status.

If your husband has status they may do it for you at the gate. If you are the only one of the four with status I don't see them doing it since they won't do it for a diamond.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL PM
I called and I cannot have two people move to C+ without splitting PNR, which I don't want to do. So annoying.

I'll try at the gate.
If I were you I'd split the PNR, 2 and 2, so you at least get two C+ seats. You can choose who sits where in your party of course, but you'll have to have one of the C+ seats "officially"
Old May 26, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
You should have had your husband book a reservation with one of your kids on it and you with the other if you husband has status.

If your husband has status they may do it for you at the gate. If you are the only one of the four with status I don't see them doing it since they won't do it for a diamond.
My husband does not have status, hence one PNR (preferred seats and SKY for everyone on the PNR, plus checked bag allowance).

And CS guy did not even pretend trying to be helpful. He basically said: "Oh, well". I'll try with GA, if they need to assign C+ seats to people with no status anyway (main cabin appears to be full), why not give them to my family?

Quite frankly I only want 2 seats in C+. This way my husband can sit with my daughter in C+ (and he can drink all the Woodford his heart desires) and I will sit in an exit row with my son (as I usually work on the plane there is nothing in C+ that I find desirable if I can snag reclining exit aisle).

I was able to request C+ and F upgrade at check in (1 out of 1 for C+ for about 12 seats), so if I get middle, my son will take it. If not, then probably my husband will take it. However, it is annoying that I cannot request "plus one" when I have more than 2 people on my reservation.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RaflW
This tells me that Delta's plan to make the C+ "upgrade" an unpalatable risk for elites due to middle seats is working perfectly, as we logically deselect the checkbox.

This way they can offer to sell us (and much more importantly, kettles) a C+ seat at OLCI even though we get them supposedly free, as happened when I checked in the other day, LAX-MSP on a 767. I was offered to 'enhance my experience' (oh that enhance word) for $59. I declined as I had an exit window seat.

Finished check in and looked at the seat map. Two middle C+ seats remained. That's an enhanced experience? OK, you get a free cocktail (but I don't drink) and a pass of slightly better snacks. In a middle seat.

I just was stunned at Delta's chutzpah. Fifty nine bucks for a middle C+ seat, 3" extra leg room, 2:59 air time?!?

If one had elected to pay the $59, would you have been able to see that it was only middles before putting in the CC? As it turned out, 4 more C+ seats opened up as PMs and DMs got D1 seats, but you'd have to hover and nab a better C+ seat.

The whole thing is absurd. And now being rolled out for Asia and Latin America. :/
If indeed my experience is true, I'm surprised there isn't more outrage on FT about this. Essentially this means if you have not been UG'd to F or C+ by the time 24 hours rolls around, you can only get C+ if you pay (to get on the list). I'm sure if I handed my CC to them I could magically appear on the C+ list.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
So far I haven't had any issues with the new process, and certainly hope that will continue. As a PM (and now DM as of Monday) I get to select C+ seats right after booking, and I was upgraded from my already upgraded C+ seat to F for both legs of SEA-LAX-SEA this week.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by airb330

W to purchase is $49 more for JFK-STT ($98 roundtrip), would it cost more after ticketing? Seems cheaper than AA or UA's products, receptively, and offers a little bit more value too. For example, AA and UA usually want $40-50 each way for 2 hour flights for MCE or Economy Plus. I fly AA pretty regularly, UA once a year usually, but have not flown DL since 2002, so thanks for any responses!
I'm a DL newbie and this was my experience. I'm flying MCO-SAN RT in about a week and while DL E was the same as UA and AA, DL W was hundreds of $ less than E+/MCE on UA and AA and only like $75 more RT than DL E. Initially I didn't want to book an extra fare because I don't drink and so don't care about that perk, but it ended up being the best deal anyway. I'm curious to see how it goes but I'm quite happy with it from a value standpoint right now. I really like the extra inches of legroom, and am hoping that this W part of the cabin has a similar trait to what I've noticed in E+ on UA in the past - not very many young children.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
75$ for 3 inches? I have not paid 75 for three inches since I picked up the check on a blind date. Not worth the hype.

Last edited by securesmaskfirst; May 26, 2016 at 6:18 pm
Old May 26, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, HH GM
Now that's funny!
Old May 26, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, HH GM
Originally Posted by tjh8402
I really like the extra inches of legroom, and am hoping that this W part of the cabin has a similar trait to what I've noticed in E+ on UA in the past - not very many young children.
I have no problem with small people filling the seats around me... They take up much less room and are as easy to ignore as the big people with my headphones on!
Old May 27, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton
My first experience with the changes has been horrible so far. I don't fly much for work, so getting Silver means I put a lot of money on a Platinum Delta amex and spend quite a bit of money flying Delta exclusively. The best perk up until now has been the Comfort+ seating. I could grab available seats at 24 hours, and if I check periodically one often opened up even on full flights as people's first class upgrades cleared. I've probably been in comfort+ 3/4ths of my flights since getting Silver. That's all done with now, and I am seriously considering changing my flying and credit card spend habits because of it.

My first flight has pretty good availability in comfort+ so I want the upgrade. The buggy IT site wouldn't even list the comfort+ upgrade checkbox for me, so I called Delta and they said they manually checked it. I check in at 24 hours to see 2 upgrade lists, and sure enough, I'm not on the comfort+ upgrade list. I call again - they call back 45 minutes later because the comfort+ changes mean wait times are horrendous at all of the call centers now. The nice rep says she can't upgrade me on the spot, but will put me on the list - promises it should clear in an hour or two "or else call back" - great. I'm still not on the list until I check in again and this time I find a box to select I want the upgrade. It's now 12 hours later, my GF and I are 1 and 2 on an upgrade list with 9 seats available, but it's still not clearing. I'm so angry over these pointless changes....

I am no longer assuming I will fly Delta that's for damn sure. All I've got left is a free checked bag and getting to pick "preferred seats"...
Old May 27, 2016, 8:32 am

I'd expect changes that allow specific seat preferences coming soon.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta Million Miler and PM
Delta is f*cking over families left and right of Diamond, Platinum medallions. Its a joke. One thing not to allow 8 companions but to not even allow a family of four to sit together and get the small benefit of a couple of inches of legroom is ludicrous! Has anyone started a petition or drafting a letter addressed from XXX number of medallions to senior people at Delta. Maybe if they see something from 1,000+ medallions responsible for millions of dollars of business they will get their heads out of their asses and make the change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.