Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by randidliyo
Whew, I just realized this was happening last week when I booked a flight to LA and couldn't pick a good C+ seat. Then I don't on the phone with an agent who had clearly had enough of the phone calls. She just kept repeating "Would you like to buy a C+ upgrade?" Finally, i said "how much?". She looked and said, "there are none for sale". I started laughing so hard she hung up on me.

Then I found this thread and it's taken me two weeks to get to the end. Funny read.....watching the ebb and flow of emotion, information and baseless conjecture.

None the less, I got the battlefield upgrade from c- on the outbound to LA. On the return, there was a little snafu, flight showing late, jumped on another, flight back on time, jumped back on original. By that time, there were 10 seats in FC and I got one of them.

Incidently, I also have a trip to ALB. Went in, checked the C+ upgrade box and withing a few minutes I got the upgrade.

All in all, I think it's pathetic what DL has done. But, it's like anything else. First they hose up the website and make everybody mad, but eventually it simmers down. Then they remove their data from EF, lots of people mad but they eventually simmer down. As for me, it's sucks to see things deteriorate, but the only real strategy seems to be to make sure that you have the top status. Status may be like sitting on a pile of crap, just make sure that you're the one on top. DL does seem to be getting smarter. In years past, I was able to get to Diamond early in the summer and then hop over and get ExPlat on AA. That was nice. But, each year they move the goalposts a little and this year I will lose the ExPlat status. Oh well. I can moan, but then I think, "What would it be like if i WEREN'T a Diamond?" I don't want to think about it.
Doesn't that kind of defeat the point of the Manage Complimentary Upgrades link if it's all out the window at check-in?
Old May 22, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Auston
I was traveling yesterday with my minor son using a Companion Certificate. I had made sure the C+ upgrade checkbox on my reservation was unchecked.

I was very surprised when my name was called by the gate agent for my individual upgrade. It took a bit of work to get my original seat back (next to my son), but the agent indicated that even though the box was unchecked, once I checked in online I needed to “let Delta know” that I did not want to be upgraded to C+. I asked how I needed to do that (wasn’t that the purpose of the checkbox) and he said I should call Delta to have the notation added to my reservation.

What’s that all about? I’ve never heard of such nonsense. I would have pressed the issue, but there were too many other people complaining about them splitting parties for upgrades to C+, so I just let it go.
This sounds to me like an unintended side effect of Widgets comment a few days ago (my paraphrase) that DL doesn't want to put E fare pax in C+, so gate agents are instructed to move Medallions to C+ to free up C- for E and other cheap coach pax fares without seat assignments. GAs probably don't have visibility to preferences in either individual reservations or in individual profiles, or if they do have visibility, no time to reference those preferences before filling the plane / assigning seats.
Originally Posted by Widgets
Originally Posted by sdix
So, DL is still going to sell every seat on the plane right? It's unlikely that C+ seats will be empty isn't it?

My experience on AA is that if only MCE seats are available as a non status pax and you do not buy up you wait until you get to the airport for assignment. At that point you may well end up with a MCE seat for free.

Will C+ not be the same? Just don't select a seat and wait for coach to fill up. Then you should be assigned a C+ seat by default shouldn't you?
No. GAs have been told to do everything possible to avoid that. The Comfort+ upgrade list will be used to fill those seats.
And if the GA is desperate, perhaps any other list, like the "medallions on this flight" list (just a guess). Got to protect the integrity of the C+ cabin, don't you know.
Old May 22, 2016, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by mnbp
This sounds to me like an unintended side effect of Widgets comment a few days ago (my paraphrase) that DL doesn't want to put E fare pax in C+, so gate agents are instructed to move Medallions to C+ to free up C- for E and other cheap coach pax fares without seat assignments. GAs probably don't have visibility to preferences in either individual reservations or in individual profiles, or if they do have visibility, no time to reference those preferences before filling the plane / assigning seats.

And if the GA is desperate, perhaps any other list, like the "medallions on this flight" list (just a guess). Got to protect the integrity of the C+ cabin, don't you know.
This seems likely to have been the case. The flight was full and they were processing people awaiting seat assignments. Several folks were called forward and handed C+ boarding passes, only to complain they would now be separated from their families. What a mess.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
If I ever arrive at a gate and fine myself "upgraded" to a new seat because of this ludicrous new arrangement, I will have no shame about throwing a huge DYKWIA tantrum, demanding to speak with red coats, etc.
Old May 22, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mridley2
Does the C+ upgrade list display on the GIDS? Were there any passengers on the C+ standby upgrade list?

Here is how the new Comfort+ Upgrade list works on the GDS (Gate Displays) now:

Name:  ComfortPlus GDS Display Primary.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  287.0 KB

Name:  ComfortPlus GDS Display Secondary.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  25.9 KB
Old May 22, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by WWads
Looks like PM/DMs will get a +1 at booking, but only if their companion has status. The language seems to exclude non-status companions.
Delta specifically states: "Medallion Members Traveling with a Companion" and makes no mention that this companion must have status. However, it is only logical that they must at least have a SkyMiles account, as has always been the policy in the past.

Policy found here:

Coming This Fall: Complimentary Upgrade Improvements for Medallion Members Traveling with a Companion

"Starting this fall, Medallion members traveling with one companion will clear for Complimentary Upgrades to both First Class and Delta Comfort+™ based on the status of the higher-tiered member."
Old May 22, 2016, 1:08 pm

In fact, Delta Air Lines has just clarified this policy in writing !

per Delta: "You will both be eligible for a Delta Comfort+ [and First Class] upgrade as long as the companion is a SkyMiles member"
Old May 22, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
If I ever arrive at a gate and fine myself "upgraded" to a new seat because of this ludicrous new arrangement, I will have no shame about throwing a huge DYKWIA tantrum, demanding to speak with red coats, etc.
Absolutely escalate to a Red Coat when (not if) this happens to you.

Seems to me the root issue is that this program was designed by a team that thought they could establish via contract / terms and conditions that each C+ seat is better than every possible C- seat that a passenger might have already selected.

Watching seat maps on post May 16 flights, it is pretty obvious that real customers actually value many (not all) C- seats higher than many C+ seats, particularly C+ middles.

Because they defined an experience differential that they don't actually deliver, customers are shocked and disappointed with last minute C+ upgrades that, from the customers perspective, are actually downgrades.

Customers continues to speak, directly to the front line staff who are directed to implement this program, and it seems likely more aspects will have to be walked back.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:48 pm

The C+ upgrade is a mess. Last 2 trips I have booked have had issues getting a C+ seat in advance (PM). I called this morning for a flight I have tomorrow, that I booked yesterday, to fix this. Sure, they got me a C+ seat, but then dropped me from the FC upgrade list.

Aside from the issues, I am just not a fan of these changes on a fundamental level. What was not working about the previous process?

I suppose on the + side, if you do purchase a C+ ticket on Delta.com, it is usually only about $50 more and you get 150% of the MQMs of the C- ticket.

Here is something I don't understand, on delta.com if you purchase a C+ ticket, it says the class is W. What is the upgrade priority of a W class ticket to FC?
Old May 22, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
I just got back from a trip with myself as a SM, and a companion with no status.

Immediately when booking, I thought it was strange that the "request upgrade" button was not available, despite the new rules. Asked my friend if he had a skymiles account, (hadn't used in years), but when I added the account number the upgrade button now became available.

On a "touristy" route for this trip, I saw multiple C+ seats available at 24 hours, but not so many at the gate.

On a business international route again tomorrow AM, a C+ seat magically popped up and due to my stalking, easily swapped to it.

My conclusion is if you have high status, Diamond, Platinum, perhaps the new rules keep the C+ seats to the higher ups.

As a silver, it almost seemed too easy to wait for a PM to be upgraded to first, then jump on their C+ seat, with the new rules, I think it's the Silver that really becomes devalued as I believe I doubt I'd ever make the upgrade list on a business route.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Totally confused now. I am a PM.
I book through Concur for a flight 2 weeks out. Called DL to get them to change to C+. They change 2 of the legs, one isn't eligible, and the last one they say they can't move me, as there are no seats available.
I check on DL.com and there is plenty of C+ seats on the flight. But it won't let me select them.
Are there only a certain number of C+ seats available to the PM/DM folks at booking time.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Widgets
That seems correct. No one would be involuntarily upgraded to accommodate a SDS and the flight would depart with empty seats.

For a Medallion or polite flat tire standby, I'd probably try to invol upgrade someone with the excuse that I miscounted how many unseated people needed to be seated in Y.
Thanks for that, though it means SDS/SDC is even less useful to me than it had already become (since I can't rely on finding the friendly GAs).

As a side note, I was surprised that 3 or 4 non-status people pulled out their credit cards to pay $50 to SDS for a 1 hour earlier flight (on an E175). I don't know how common that is, but it certainly suggests DL has found a new revenue stream (opening SDS to non-Medallion for $50). And one that may be crimped by the W-as-a-separate-cabin thing, since that again reduce the overall inventory.

Originally Posted by Spec1alk
What was not working about the previous process?
It was not generating sufficient $$$ for DL. The new process allows them to hold back C+ seats from Medallions, therefore making more available to sell to non-Medallions, and Medallions who don't want to gamble. Also, since C+ books for your entire itinerary now, if you are flying (say) ROC-JFK-LAX, you now basically have to buy C+ for both segments even if you just want it for the longer JFK-LAX segment (unless you want to play games with mixed cabin purchases).

Here is something I don't understand, on delta.com if you purchase a C+ ticket, it says the class is W. What is the upgrade priority of a W class ticket to FC?
Unclear. "W" was officially listed between M and S, with a now gone footnote that implies the actual order is based on the underlying Y fare.

Originally Posted by randidliyo
I can moan, but then I think, "What would it be like if i WEREN'T a Diamond?" I don't want to think about it.
Eh, I dropped to PM last year and it wasn't materially different than DM for me. I think I missed SC access on one trip. I found the PM line as helpful as the DM line, and international upgrades were equally unlikely with both statuses.

Indeed, the ~$6600 I save by not chasing DM can go towards the benefits that I'd otherwise miss out on, or to build more useful status on other airlines.
Old May 22, 2016, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by John DELTA
Delta specifically states: "Medallion Members Traveling with a Companion" and makes no mention that this companion must have status. However, it is only logical that they must at least have a SkyMiles account, as has always been the policy in the past.

Policy found here:

Coming This Fall: Complimentary Upgrade Improvements for Medallion Members Traveling with a Companion

"Starting this fall, Medallion members traveling with one companion will clear for Complimentary Upgrades to both First Class and Delta Comfort+™ based on the status of the higher-tiered member."
I agree, if companion had to be an elite that would be so dumb. Kudos to DL for this change, but they could have spared the stupidity by asking some FT members for input. Now just time to get rid of the stupid middle seat UG.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I absolutely and unequivocally do not want a C+ middle seat if (as is almost always the case) I have an exit window seat.

That Delta thinks a middle C+ is an "upgrade" from an exit row non-middle is both a joke and an insult. I'm planning Q3 & 4 travel now, and have been intending to go for GM for 2017. Kinda rethinking that. I'll let the higher ranked Medallions be the ones who have to approach the podium to fight to get un-upgraded.

What a Dilbertian situation Delta has created.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by Auston
..............there were too many other people complaining about them splitting parties for upgrades to C+, .....
How many would complain if the parties were split for FC upgrades?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.