Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Old May 19, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
duplicate
Old May 19, 2016, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Zorak
I am almost always traveling by myself so this negatively affects me as well; nevertheless I think it is a good decision.
This is good news.

And remember that, by definition, higher-tier elites who are flying with lower- or no-status pax are far less frequent than those folks flying solo.

Unless there's a DM out there flying around with a different companion each week. To each their own.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
It means a DM who is traveling with an FO on a X fare will trump a solo DM on a V fare. So, basically the FO gets the FC upgrade, and you, as a DM on the V fare won't get it.

This updated policy not only negatively affects me as a DM who usually travels solo, it also really devalues PM, GM, and FO chances at an UG...
Where does it say fare class doesn't come into effect? I'm reading it as the upgrade priority will be the same but if someone is travelling with a lower level companion they will clear at the same time as the highest level companion.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Where does it say fare class doesn't come into effect? I'm reading it as the upgrade priority will be the same but if someone is travelling with a lower level companion they will clear at the same time as the highest level companion.
You're right: there isn't any mention of fare class. Because fare class is a factored into UG priority, I'm assuming that if a DM on X fare clears before a DM on a V fare, then the DM on the X fare would have his/her companion clear alongside him/her. Again, this assumes that the pecking order for UGs remains the same.

Perhaps a DM on a K fare with a lower status pax will only clear once all solo DMs have cleared. I see this as a much better alternative: solo DMs would clear as usual, and DM (regardless of fare class) with lower status companion would clears before all PMs.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
You're right: there isn't any mention of fare class. Because fare class is a factored into UG priority, I'm assuming that if a DM on X fare clears before a DM on a V fare, then the DM on the X fare would have his/her companion clear alongside him/her. Again, this assumes that the pecking order for UGs remains the same.

Perhaps a DM on a K fare with a lower status pax will only clear once all solo DMs have cleared. I see this as a much better alternative: solo DMs would clear as usual, and DM (regardless of fare class) with lower status companion would clears before all PMs.
Sorry was thinking a V fare was higher than an X fare. Would make sense that a diamonds and silver on X fare would trump a solo V traveler.

According to the thread on this though, it's ANY companion not necessarily those with status. So a DM on an X fare travelling with a companion flying Delta for the first time would clear before a diamond who flies 200K+ miles a year on a V fare.

I'm surprised they aren't making this strictly a 360 benefit. FO's travelling solo are never going to clear now.
Old May 19, 2016, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Sorry was thinking a V fare was higher than an X fare. Would make sense that a diamonds and silver on X fare would trump a solo V traveler.

According to the thread on this though, it's ANY companion not necessarily those with status. So a DM on an X fare travelling with a companion flying Delta for the first time would clear before a diamond who flies 200K+ miles a year on a V fare.

I'm surprised they aren't making this strictly a 360 benefit. FO's travelling solo are never going to clear now.
True, solo FO's had better make friends with a DM if they ever want to be in front of the curtain.
Old May 20, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: Delta PM
deleted
Old May 20, 2016, 7:22 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
True, solo FO's had better make friends with a DM if they ever want to be in front of the curtain.
The next peer-to-peer business will be matching up solo DMs with people looking for better upgrade status Maybe a "same PNR" restriction wouldn't so bad...
Old May 20, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
The next peer-to-peer business will be matching up solo DMs with people looking for better upgrade status Maybe a "same PNR" restriction wouldn't so bad...
Emerging mobile app opportunity: UPGRDR, which shows you near-by Medallions (the higher the tier, the more stars they get). You can message them to entice them to link their PNR to yours so that you move up the upgrade list.

Old May 20, 2016, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure delta will require a same PNR restriction and hope they do. Otherwise you could have a silver (or sounds like no-status even if I'm understanding the rules correctly) book an X fare far out for a business trip. Diamond spouse is able to go at the last minute and only fare available is an M fare. If two seats are available up front I sure hope Delta wouldn't give them to a diamond on an M fare and their spouse on an X fare over a diamond on an S fare.

Or someone in my office who is a lower tier or no status could book a T or other discount fare for a conference or work trip in advance. Turns out I find out I am needed at the last minute and only thing available are expensive B fares. It would be pretty unfair if my non-status employee on a T fare jumps over a diamond on a B fare.

Or what would happen if a diamond is in the skyclub and a flight is severely delayed and it's a Gate Agent who won't clear the upgrade listuntil t-30 from actual departure time and diamond decides to drink in the skyclub during the delay and becomes friends with a no status on the same flight on a cheap fare. Can he go up to the agent to the skyclub and ask the agent to link the PNR's and suddenly no status new friend is sitting up front passing over other elites?
Old May 20, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I'm sure delta will require a same PNR restriction and hope they do. Otherwise you could have a silver (or sounds like no-status even if I'm understanding the rules correctly) book an X fare far out for a business trip. Diamond spouse is able to go at the last minute and only fare available is an M fare. If two seats are available up front I sure hope Delta wouldn't give them to a diamond on an M fare and their spouse on an X fare over a diamond on an S fare.

Or someone in my office who is a lower tier or no status could book a T or other discount fare for a conference or work trip in advance. Turns out I find out I am needed at the last minute and only thing available are expensive B fares. It would be pretty unfair if my non-status employee on a T fare jumps over a diamond on a B fare.

Or what would happen if a diamond is in the skyclub and a flight is severely delayed and it's a Gate Agent who won't clear the upgrade listuntil t-30 from actual departure time and diamond decides to drink in the skyclub during the delay and becomes friends with a no status on the same flight on a cheap fare. Can he go up to the agent to the skyclub and ask the agent to link the PNR's and suddenly no status new friend is sitting up front passing over other elites?
That's a lot of worrying you're doing!
Old May 20, 2016, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
That's a lot of worrying you're doing!
many otherwise objective DMs who post here regularly seem to do that a lot when it's their UG that's at risk
Old May 20, 2016, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
many otherwise objective DMs who post here regularly seem to do that a lot when it's their UG that's at risk
And with good reason. There used to be routes I used to almost always clear on when I was gold years ago (or even FO sometimes) like LAS/DTW that I'm not even clearing on as a DM. I remember sometimes they would advertise gate upgrades for $150 on LAS/DTW because the agent was able to clear every elite and their companion into first and seats would go out empty in first. There's been times on that route in the past year where I've been number 3 or lower on the list with no seats as a DM and I'm not even on a discounted fare. Last time I flew MSY/DTW I was number 3 as a DM and wasn't even on a discount fare and I remember clearing that route easily when I was an FO or GM and they would routinely sell upgrades at the gate.

Hopefully it won't have too much of an impact on me right now but it will if I ever drop back down to PM and it will definitely impact upgrades for PM's and lower.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
And with good reason. There used to be routes I used to almost always clear on when I was gold years ago (or even FO sometimes) like LAS/DTW that I'm not even clearing on as a DM. I remember sometimes they would advertise gate upgrades for $150 on LAS/DTW because the agent was able to clear every elite and their companion into first and seats would go out empty in first. There's been times on that route in the past year where I've been number 3 or lower on the list with no seats as a DM and I'm not even on a discounted fare. Last time I flew MSY/DTW I was number 3 as a DM and wasn't even on a discount fare and I remember clearing that route easily when I was an FO or GM and they would routinely sell upgrades at the gate.

Hopefully it won't have too much of an impact on me right now but it will if I ever drop back down to PM and it will definitely impact upgrades for PM's and lower.
I suspect that the reduction in upgrades has much more to do with inventory reduction than changes in medallion policy or even FCM.
Old May 20, 2016, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
I checked "Window" and have never since been put in an aisle, either at booking or upgrade. Prior to that, I was always put in an aisle at booking, and typically in an aisle at UG if one was available. Their code has the assumption that people prefer aisles, unless explicitly told not.
Gate upgrades are wherever the GA happens to click. And IIRC, even the SkyMiles seat preference doesn't appear on the upgrade list. Everyone is always A(isle)... I've never ever seen anything else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.