Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Widgets
AFAIK Medallion upgrades are still allowed onboard
Unfortunately, not according to the T&C posted on Delta's website:
Complimentary Delta Comfort+ seats are not available for selection by any passenger while onboard the aircraft regardless of status or fare class.
Old May 16, 2016, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by rylan
I for one am hoping it will be a a mess. DL created it, now they should get to stew in it.
Just wait for when flights depart with empty C+ seats and pax on the 'upgrade' list or those who would've previously been able to select the seats being stuck in C- because medallion 'upgrades' are not allowed on board regardless of status.
Unfortunately the people that will suffer the most from this will be the Gate Agents and FA who had no say in this decision. The GA's and phone agents are going to be the ones hearing most of the complaints.

Hopefully Delta's management listens to their employees complaints better than they do their elites and will make some changes.

I don't understand why they can't allow a DM and PM and a +1 a C+ seat at the time of booking.

It really pisses me off that I can't get a C+ seat now if I sdc or sb for a flight. Delta already screwed over their elites with a lot of changes to the policy and now we can't even get a C+ seat if it's available if we standby.
Old May 16, 2016, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup since you can't get on the 'upgrade' list from being on SDS, that means you're getting the worst seat in the plane.

Now it is total BS that you can't even get 'upgraded' from SDC. My guess is that the WU inventory is zeroed out day of departure, or even though you checked the box, there isn't space or the system isn't processing it. I wonder if calling to get it forced will work.
Old May 16, 2016, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Renes Points
I would love the OLD HOOU system to come back including the chance to select a non-drink snack choice ie snackbox etc. Not gonna happen.

#TIP - I see you are DM. If your Choice Benefit for your wife was GM then she too should have 4 HOOUs in her My Delta. @:-)
for my 2017 choice benefit selections, I just might select gold for her, this way we can each book a separate itinerary and each put one of the kids on our own itinerary.
Old May 16, 2016, 8:20 am
Suspended

Yup since you can't get on the 'upgrade' list from being on SDS, that means you're getting the worst seat in the plane.

Now it is total BS that you can't even get 'upgraded' from SDC. My guess is that the WU inventory is zeroed out day of departure, or even though you checked the box, there isn't space or the system isn't processing it. I wonder if calling to get it forced will work.
they would rather sell the W fare, screw the elite who dared to SDC. Its lost revenue for DL.
Old May 16, 2016, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
for my 2017 choice benefit selections, I just might select gold for her, this way we can each book a separate itinerary and each put one of the kids on our own itinerary.
Yep. Then cross link / reference the two and hope if things gone wonkie. Good times?
Old May 16, 2016, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Renes Points
Yep. Then cross link / reference the two and hope if things gone wonkie. Good times?
the odds are not in my favor, I will tell you that. I cant imagine this is what Delta had in mind, Diamonds sitting way back in the main cabin with empty C+ seats aplenty.

Last edited by DL2SXM; May 16, 2016 at 8:42 am
Old May 16, 2016, 9:00 am

I am on flight #1 of 7 this week right now, as a newly minted Platinum. I booked through our corporate travel portal (Orbitz for Business) and selected aisle seats in coach on every leg.

Here is what I ended up with:
  1. PDX - JFK: 12B on 737-800 - Used RUC to force my way to 4D
  2. JFK - ROC: 2C on a CRJ900 - FC upgrade cleared just after booking
  3. ROC - DTW: CRJ(200?) 11C - only aisle seat left on this plane, also the only seat selected at booking that I wasn't "upgraded" out of.
  4. DTW - ATL: 12B on and A320 - 2 hours in a C+ middle seat, ugh.
  5. ATL - SMF: 13B on a 737-900 - Another 2 hours in a middle seat...
  6. SMF - SLC: 4A on an A320 - At least it's not a middle
  7. SLC - PDX: 2B on a 737-800 - upgraded at the PM window this morning.

What is interesting to me is that flights 1, 2, 4, 5, & 6 are all showing no seats available in C+. I've flown 73 segments so far this year, on top of 51 last year, and I bet I could count the number of full C+ sections >1 day out on one hand.

I was Silver last fall before I started in my new position and managed to work my way up to Gold by year end. Started this year at Gold and qualified for Platinum 2 weeks ago. During that time I was able to select a C+ seat at my window (1 day Silver, 3 days Gold) probably 95% of the time. Often I would stick with an aisle seat farther back rather than taking a C+ middle - except on the rare occasion where A) it had been a rough week, and B) the wife was picking me up at the airport. In those cases I might take a C+ middle just to take advantage of the "adult beverages". What really sucks about this change is that prior to today, once I hit my window I could select any available seat aft of the curtain. Now I find myself stuck in sh*t seats and "All seats are occupied in your class of service"

One would think that Delta would understand that many of us (most?) have a pretty distinct preference with regard to seats. For me, the complete list would look like this, with some small modifications depending on aircraft type.
  1. FC Aisle Non-bulkhead
  2. FC Window Non-bulkhead
  3. FC Aisle Bulkhead
  4. FC Window Bulkhead
  5. C+ Aisle Non-bulkhead
  6. Exit Row Aisle
  7. C- Aisle Non-bulkhead
  8. C+ Aisle Bulkhead
  9. Exit Row Window
  10. C+ Window
  11. Landing Gear Bay
  12. C+ Middle
  13. C- Middle

If they can't do that, they should at least be able to look at my aisle preference in my profile and *not* move me out of an aisle seat and into a middle seat. Ever.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I just got off the phone with a PM line rep who said that the phones have been ringing off the hook today with Medallion members unable to see their C+ seats
Old May 16, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
It blows my mind Delta stuck with no companions for DP/PM. Booked a flight for the end of the month with the +1, who has barely flown. Choice is E- and wait until T-24 to move up, or split the itin, and get one of us to a better seat for now (RUCs are waitlisted).

Currently W is wide open (at least on the seat chart), but I'm sure those will get grabbed by PM/GM/FO in the last few minutes before I can move us up.

Quick question, can companions board in PREM with a DM if not in F? I have not flown with a companion since the change where DM board in PREM (and we also weren't in F).

I suppose it would not surprise me if "For Diamond Medallion traveling with a companion, boarding zone will be determined by the lowest status on the reservation. If boarding with a no-status companion, the Diamond and companion are to board last, but before PM, GM and FO flyers, also flying with companions." #WPREMBPREM
Old May 16, 2016, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by scracer14
It blows my mind Delta stuck with no companions for DP/PM. Booked a flight for the end of the month with the +1, who has barely flown. Choice is E- and wait until T-24 to move up, or split the itin, and get one of us to a better seat for now (RUCs are waitlisted).

Currently W is wide open (at least on the seat chart), but I'm sure those will get grabbed by PM/GM/FO in the last few minutes before I can move us up.

Quick question, can companions board in PREM with a DM if not in F? I have not flown with a companion since the change where DM board in PREM (and we also weren't in F).

I suppose it would not surprise me if "For Diamond Medallion traveling with a companion, boarding zone will be determined by the lowest status on the reservation. If boarding with a no-status companion, the Diamond and companion are to board last, but before PM, GM and FO flyers, also flying with companions." #WPREMBPREM
They can board with you
Old May 16, 2016, 9:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Widgets
They can board with you
for now.... You can almost see the writing on the wall in that if you're a DM traveling with a general member, you board based on the lower of the two statuses or you can pay to board with the premium zone.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Burn Baby Burn! Melt those call center phone lines!
Old May 16, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by scracer14

If that's the case, I'm still boarding when my status says I can, regardless if I have a companion. It's not like they enforce the boarding zones anyway.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: DL PM,
I am a GM and had not paid any attention to the new upgrade policy. A month ago, I booked my flights on my corporate travel site. This morning I checked into tomorrow's flight 24 hours in advance and then tried to upgrade to one of the numerous open C+ seats. I receive a message that I am unable to upgrade my seat after I have checked in. For the first time in years, I am looking to fly on other airlines. The only perk I will get from Delta as a GM is miles. I can get miles from any airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.