Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta launches MSP-KEF S16 seasonal with a 75H

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2015, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

DL260, leaves MSP at 9:59 pm and arrives KEF at 9 a.m. Starts from May 26. But surprisingly, Delta is using one of its 75Hs, rather than a D1 equipped international bird. It also looks like it will be a turnaround with the JFK flight (returning at 8:30 am), meaning that must be shifting to a domestic bird as well.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
DL260, leaves MSP at 9:59 pm and arrives KEF at 9 a.m. Starts from May 26. But surprisingly, Delta is using one of its 75Hs, rather than a D1 equipped international bird. It also looks like it will be a turnaround with the JFK flight (returning at 8:30 am), meaning that must be shifting to a domestic bird as well.
Confused. How does a flight from MSP arrive at 9am turn around to a JFK leaving 30 minutes earlier?
Old Nov 7, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Confused. How does a flight from MSP arrive at 9am turn around to a JFK leaving 30 minutes earlier?
Sorry. To be more clear, the MSP return must turn from the JFK flight, and then the MSP inbound goes back to JFK. In other words, MSP-KEF-JFK-KEF-MSP.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
I do wish Delta would have KEF year-round. I'm quite keen to go to Iceland in the winter, but would rather not do it on Icelandair.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by landeej
I do wish Delta would have KEF year-round. I'm quite keen to go to Iceland in the winter, but would rather not do it on Icelandair.
Well, DL is extending the JFK-KEF season by restarting JFK-KEF in Feb 2016 (3x weekly I believe) instead of waiting till May/June like previous years.

http://news.delta.com/jfk-iceland-route-extended
Old Nov 7, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
They do not need lie flat since the competition (icelandair) does not either. Man, what a hard seat to sleep in.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
They do not need lie flat since the competition (icelandair) does not either. Man, what a hard seat to sleep in.
Yeah, you will be very uncomfortable flight. You can't sleep at all. Try to sleep a whole 3 empty seat. If the flight is not full or empty. You can sleep in the economy class.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
This is a silly comment. DL converted all its international widebodies to direct aisle access LONG before the competition. DL had fleet-wide wifi long before the competition. To say that DL only adds a feature when the competition has it is ridiculous.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by kjnangre
This is a silly comment. DL converted all its international widebodies to direct aisle access LONG before the competition. DL had fleet-wide wifi long before the competition. To say that DL only adds a feature when the competition has it is ridiculous.

I bet DL views Iceland as an all leisure destination and would rather send the flatbeds elsewhere. Probably a relatively low % of paid J on KEF flights because it is quite short short. Lots of bachelor parties and people going to hike, etc.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Originally Posted by woodford02A
I bet DL views Iceland as an all leisure destination and would rather send the flatbeds elsewhere. Probably a relatively low % of paid J on KEF flights because it is quite short short. Lots of bachelor parties and people going to hike, etc.
Agreed, did the JFK flight summer of 14 and J had 5 occupied seats....
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: DL GM
JFK-KEF was on a 753 this year (August 2015 at least) so no lie flats.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Are there any other international transoceanic flights that Delta operates that don't have D1 (aside from Hawaii which is technically domestic)? I don't think that I like the president this sets. On the other hand, this sort of provides a premium economy type TATL product, which is really missing from DL. No, it's not nearly as comfortable as D1, but still beats coach.

I wonder what the soft product will be like? Will they serve complimentary meals in economy? I bet those ovens in the rear of the plane have not even been turned on for over a decade. Will the premium product be like domestic first class or some kind of hybrid?

*edited to add: just did a dummy booking. For economy the meal is listed as "snack." My guess is that this will be a cold meal akin to the mid-range domestic first class meals, like a sandwich, chips & dessert type thing. Probably served in a box. It is listed as snack for both directions, so even the return flight which leaves during standard meals times (8:30am) is not getting a full breakfast. This is a first, AFAIK, and not a good sign that DL is willing to operate TATL flights with what appears to be mostly domestic like service.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Nov 8, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Old Nov 8, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
With such short flight times I'd almost rather they ran KEF (at least the JFK flight) as a daytime run (maybe leave MSP as the redeye). I flew JFK-KEF a couple of years ago and if I were going to Iceland again I'd probably just book FI's daytime flight instead.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Are there any other international transoceanic flights that Delta operates that don't have D1 (aside from Hawaii which is technically domestic)? I don't think that I like the president this sets. On the other hand, this sort of provides a premium economy type TATL product, which is really missing from DL. No, it's not nearly as comfortable as D1, but still beats coach.

I wonder what the soft product will be like? Will they serve complimentary meals in economy? I bet those ovens in the rear of the plane have not even been turned on for over a decade. Will the premium product be like domestic first class or some kind of hybrid?

*edited to add: just did a dummy booking. For economy the meal is listed as "snack." My guess is that this will be a cold meal akin to the mid-range domestic first class meals, like a sandwich, chips & dessert type thing. Probably served in a box. It is listed as snack for both directions, so even the return flight which leaves during standard meals times (8:30am) is not getting a full breakfast. This is a first, AFAIK, and not a good sign that DL is willing to operate TATL flights with what appears to be mostly domestic like service.
I don't think this signals anything for truly TATL flights. Iceland isn't really TATL, but more HTATL - Half TransAtlantic. Also, Iceland has never been a major destination for business or tourist, thus it's hard to compare to anything truly TATL where all destinations at least have some high demand.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Iceland isn't really TATL, but more HTATL - Half TransAtlantic.
I suppose that's true, though it is considered to be part of Europe not the Americas. From what I understand DL has long struggled to sell D1 seats on flights to Dublin, which is not much farther. I'd just hate to see us moving to a model where LHR, CDG and AMS get D1 service and more touristy destinations get something that looks more like transborder business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.