Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Ending ATL-DXB - Effective 2/11/16

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold

Per internal release and Delta.com.

http://news.delta.com/subsidized-gulf-carrier-competition-forces-delta-cancel-atl-dubai

"Delta will no longer fly between Atlanta and Dubai effective Feb. 11, 2016. The announcement comes amid overcapacity on U.S. routes to the Middle East operated by government-owned and heavily subsidized airlines, and less than a month after Delta reduced service between the world’s busiest airport and the Middle East’s largest hub.

The 777 aircraft used to operate ATL-DXB will be redeployed to other Trans-Atlantic markets where it can compete on a level playing field that’s not distorted by subsidized state-owned airlines."

Last edited by ChiefNWA; Oct 28, 2015 at 8:17 am
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Here you go:

http://news.delta.com/subsidized-gul...ncel-atl-dubai
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Thanks, edited OP
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
LOL about their reason for ending it, but they can't even get the name of EY right. It's Etihad Airways, not airlines.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Any guesses on how long until EK announces ATL? It has got to be one of the largest metros in the US that they are not in....
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by Emirates202
LOL about their reason for ending it, but they can't even get the name of EY right. It's Etihad Airways, not airlines.
I think you are reading the sentence wrong, but it's a poorly written sentence... "...flown by Gulf carriers Emirates, Qatar and Etihad airlines"

Should be "...flown by Gulf airlines Emirates, Qatar and Etihad"
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
That PR makes it sounds like DL is running away with their tail between their legs. Funny DL is all talk about many of these issues (like the issue with Ex-Im, and other "subsidies" or the HND slot case with US DOT) yet goes along with them as they see fit. It's very clear DL was the one pushing this action against the Gulf carriers and AA/UA more or less jumped in for the ride.

Anyone with the willingness or desire to fly to/through DXB would have a much better experience on EK regardless.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
It was only a matter of time, I guess!
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Having flown the Gulf carriers (even the discount ones) I would never fly a North American airline again if given the option. DL really screwed the pooch on this one. The best thing they could have done was to try and get a FF and codeshare agreement with Emirates or Etihad and let those carriers handle the GCC routes while DL focuses on its Asian expansion.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Now, I generally agree with DL that the structural subsidies received particularly by QR and EY (less so EK at present, though perhaps different in the past) are questionable at best. But this line is laughable:
Despite the increase in passengers traveling on these flights, the number whose journeys actually originate or end in the Gulf has essentially remained flat.
Well, yeah, that's what happens when airlines grow connecting hubs. What about DL's growth in SEA, which sure doesn't reflect an enormous growth in SEA O&D traffic? Is that objectionable for similar reasons?

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Having flown the Gulf carriers (even the discount ones) I would never fly a North American airline again if given the option. DL really screwed the pooch on this one. The best thing they could have done was to try and get a FF and codeshare agreement with Emirates or Etihad and let those carriers handle the GCC routes while DL focuses on its Asian expansion.
Depends on the cabin. In coach, EY at least is miserable (having flown them SYD-AUH-Europe and back on a 10-across 777 which manages to be even less comfortable than AF's 10-across 777s). I'd take DL any day in coach over EY, and my understanding is that EK is comparable to EY in coach. (I've never flown EK.) When I lived in SYD, I normally used CZ to get to Europe; much nicer than EY in coach, believe it or not.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Quite the mini tantrum.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Anyone with the willingness or desire to fly to/through DXB would have a much better experience on EK regardless.
You forgot the qualifying part: "...in first class". On 777's, in business EK is 7 wide compared to 4 on DL, hardly a "better" experience. In Economy, 10 wide on a 777 also isn't considered a "better" experience than 9.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashill
Well, yeah, that's what happens when airlines grow connecting hubs. What about DL's growth in SEA, which sure doesn't reflect an enormous growth in SEA O&D traffic? Is that objectionable for similar reasons?
Maybe DL should complain about FI too. After all, not too many people flying OD to Iceland!
Old Oct 28, 2015, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wow talk about whining on DL's part. Apparently they couldn't compete even though they frequently sell out the J cabin for this route for big bucks?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Wow talk about whining on DL's part. Apparently they couldn't compete even though they frequently sell out the J cabin for this route for big bucks?
But I think they really tried hard with this route, with their lousy J service and inadequate catering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.