Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2 year medallion plan diamond then gold or two years of platinum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 6:55 am
Original Poster

I forecast I will end 2015 6,000 MQM short of diamond status for 2016. In 2016 my travel will be significantly curtailed. I think miles toward an unachieved status level carry over to the next year. My choice is do I take a mileage run in December to get diamond in 2016 but start my 2017 build close to zero and likely achieve only gold in 2017 or forego the mileage run and settle for platinum in 2016 but have a jump start toward achieving platinum in 2017? Any advice is welcome.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:00 am

Wait it out and start 2016 at almost gold. I did that 2 years ago.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It depends on anticipated travel patterns, preferences for various elite benefits, etc.

For many people, four GUCs as a DM would seal the deal, while others would value two years of redeposit fee waivers for award tickets more.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
How much travel do you do?

The biggest advantage of DM one year and GM the next (for me) would be the 8 RUC or 4 GUC you can take.

Verify that this is the case before letting it influence your decision, but I think for example you could ride your DM status for upgrades next year, make your certificate choices late in 2016, leaving them valid for 1 year--IOW through the end of 2017.

12 RUC's would make GM a lot nicer. I'd probably take that over PMx2. But it depends on how much you travel and what you value most.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by huskerchad
12 RUC's would make GM a lot nicer. I'd probably take that over PMx2. But it depends on how much you travel and what you value most.
PMx2 could give you 8 RUCs.

Usually with the continued diminution of medallion benefits, I recommend folks take the bird in the hand (higher status now).

In this case if OP is not going to fly much in 2016, I'm leaning towards the bird in the bush.

David
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Diamond
If you expect not to fly much in the next couple years I would probably take DM/GM over PM/PM. With the GUC or RUC choice for a diamond it would make things better. However, if you think next year might be lower and then pick up in 17 I would say PM/PM is the way to go. That way in 17 when you start flying more you would be a PM and not a GM.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
FWIW, I've consistently been a PM since I use two airlines and I've been perfectly happy with it.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
My partner elected to do PMx2 because of the award ticket redeposit, he has over 500,000 miles, so if he sees a great sky miles deal for 25,000 he jumps on it knowing we can cancel.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:09 am
pkk

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DIA, Wyndham DIA, IHG Spire AMB
personally I am going to quit about a thousand miles short of diamond this year and stay at platinum which will make a great head start for next year. I may end up flying less next year, so this is my best option. I will do platinum with rollover almost to gold instead of diamond with none. If I fly more next year I'll make diamond easier with the rollover.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Mawtch
I forecast I will end 2015 6,000 MQM short of diamond status for 2016. In 2016 my travel will be significantly curtailed. I think miles toward an unachieved status level carry over to the next year. My choice is do I take a mileage run in December to get diamond in 2016 but start my 2017 build close to zero and likely achieve only gold in 2017 or forego the mileage run and settle for platinum in 2016 but have a jump start toward achieving platinum in 2017? Any advice is welcome.
How much travel do you expect in 2017? If none, go Diamond; if lots, go Platinum.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by sethb
How much travel do you expect in 2017? If none, go Diamond; if lots, go Platinum.
If none, why would you want to be Diamond!??!?! Little use to you other then getting the CB's
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude
If none, why would you want to be Diamond!??!?! Little use to you other then getting the CB's
That's no travel in 2017, so go Diamond for 2016 and don't worry about status in 2017. If lots of travel in 2017, be Platinum for 2016 and highest possible (for him) status in 2017.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Since you said your travel would be "significantly curtailed" in 2016, I'd go PM/PM. Otherwise, you'd have DM status that you'd barely use and only GM when you're back into the travel game.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
I've held short of DM last 2 years to stay at PM but with hefty rollover. No regrets.

Did push through to DM this year but only because am anticipating rolling over ~32k mqm anyway.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Since you said your travel would be "significantly curtailed" in 2016, I'd go PM/PM. Otherwise, you'd have DM status that you'd barely use and only GM when you're back into the travel game.
But that depends on 2017. If travel in 2017 is back up, then PM in 2017 is worth it. If it's even more curtailed, then DM in 2016 and GM in 2017 is better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.