Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How many fewer Diamonds will there be in 2016?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, SWA A list preferred, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum

I will be hitting Diamond Medallion for the 1st time this year and am curious if the MQD of $15k will significantly decrease the number of DM's in 2016...meaning better chance for upgrades. Platinum out of SNA is very hit or iss (usually miss). Does anytone have any info on this or any Delta projections?
Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you're expecting more upgrades as a DM, don't hold your breath... Delta is actively selling first class seats to maximize revenue rather than give them away to DMs.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by tm_rome
I will be hitting Diamond Medallion for the 1st time this year and am curious if the MQD of $15k will significantly decrease the number of DM's in 2016...meaning better chance for upgrades. Platinum out of SNA is very hit or iss (usually miss). Does anytone have any info on this or any Delta projections?
Thanks in advance.
You are forgetting the MQD waiver for those who hit 25k on a DL branded AMEX. Plus, those who have 4 Reserves and do tons of MS, get loads of MQMs...without ever stepping foot on a plane. I don't know how they do it, but getting DM, with fairly limited flying is very possible!

Oh, don't forget cheap G-A-P fares and the FCMs!
Old Oct 21, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
With FCM fares for tickets purchased in advance often times being lower than last minute tickets typically purchased by diamonds, my upgrade rate was better as a PMNW gold and as a Delta PM than it is now as a diamond. The GU's are nice if you fly international and I have good luck using those at least.

I don't think the MQD is going to stop many people who fly 125K+ miles a year from being diamond anyway with the Am Ex waiver. I already met the MQD waiver with my am ex spend by January 10 this year
Old Oct 21, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
You are forgetting the MQD waiver for those who hit 25k on a DL branded AMEX. Plus, those who have 4 Reserves and do tons of MS, get loads of MQMs...without ever stepping foot on a plane. I don't know how they do it, but getting DM, with fairly limited flying is very possible!

If you are primarily earning MQM's via MS rather than actual flying, you don't really represent much competition for upgrades.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 5:05 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I will be hitting Diamond Medallion for the 1st time this year and am curious if the MQD of $15k will significantly decrease the number of DM's in 2016...meaning better chance for upgrades. Platinum out of SNA is very hit or miss (usually miss). Does anytone have any info on this or any Delta projections?
I feel fairly certain that any projections like this would be closely guarded info.

That said, I really don't think that $2500 more in MQDs will make a bit of a NOTICEIBLE difference in number of DMs, with particular regard to UGs. I think that most DMs are likely, either WAY over the MQD amount, or have the Amex waiver (or non USA). If anything, I'd expect MORE DMs, with newbies coming over from fallout from the US/AA merger.

Just my 2˘ worth!

Old Oct 21, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by LBJ
If you are primarily earning MQM's via MS rather than actual flying, you don't really represent much competition for upgrades.
I wish I was skillful/resourceful enough to earn a huge chunk of my MQMs through MS! It certainly would make my mom happy if I don't get onto planes that often!! Unfortunately, this is not the case, and I earn my status, the 'hard way'!
Old Oct 21, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
Reserve Rocks

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

What is the basis for the statement that those with several Reserve cards use them for MS? My wife and I have three of them and have no idea how it is done. Yes we both are PM without a lot of flying and are UG on the vast majority of flights. So we are thrilled when everyone else who lives on planes get the UG. Win win deal for everyone.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Thanks in advance.
Ha! DM on B/Y out of SNA has been pretty much "miss" for me over the years!
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I won't be DM next year; I will probably end the year around 100k MQMs.

I'm also preparing for life without upgrades. I'm traveling tomorrow and Saturday and will only go 2 for 4 on UGs; had I not been DM, I wouldn't get any upgrades at all.

Unless I really have to travel a lot next year, I'm probably not even going to try for PM. I will look for discounted F fares to the west coast, and will buy at $850-1,000 level, rather than at the $300-400 level for LUTVX fares.

I'm also thinking about not buying an SC membership. I'll get to use clubs when I travel internationally, which will be 2-3 times next year. I'll think about going on AF or KL, so that I can use their clubs as a STE+
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Lrtalk
What is the basis for the statement that those with several Reserve cards use them for MS? My wife and I have three of them and have no idea how it is done. Yes we both are PM without a lot of flying and are UG on the vast majority of flights. So we are thrilled when everyone else who lives on planes get the UG. Win win deal for everyone.
check out the MS subforum here on flyertalk..
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by thoiboi
check out the MS subforum here on flyertalk..
What is "MS"?
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by marilyn35406
What is "MS"?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-spending-719/
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by davetravels
I feel fairly certain that any projections like this would be closely guarded info.

That said, I really don't think that $2500 more in MQDs will make a bit of a NOTICEIBLE difference in number of DMs, with particular regard to UGs. I think that most DMs are likely, either WAY over the MQD amount, or have the Amex waiver (or non USA). If anything, I'd expect MORE DMs, with newbies coming over from fallout from the US/AA merger.

Just my 2˘ worth!

I mostly agree - I doubt there are a tremendous number of DMs on the brink. And of those that are, many will try to stretch to hit the new level if they can. And this change doesn't impact those who get the Amex waiver.

The part I disagree on is that there will be a huge influx of new elites as a result of the US/AS merger. There hasn't been a tremendous amount of fallout. I'm sure there will be some, but there are also those going the other direction. It's like a revolving door with people going in and out, but I doubt it will materially change the number of people on either side of the door.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Yeah dont fool yourself. Until the MQD waiver with the AMEX is gone you are not going to see any change. Its not hard for thousands of people to get the DL AMEX and use it for 1 or 2 business expenses and its done. DL is so inconsistent in many areas, but they do not care about loyalty, they care about $ and their AMEX partnership, as any good business should.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.