Why does Delta have your loyalty?

Old Oct 20, 15, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
By default. Despite my best efforts to stick with AA/B6 this year, still made GM on DL.
Old Oct 20, 15, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL DM Hilton Diamond WN A List
I trust them.
Old Oct 20, 15, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton, Marriot, and Melia Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
They have my back.
Old Oct 20, 15, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
For a long time, I simply liked them better. DL offered excellent upgrade chances even as a GM (back in the day) where AA would have required stickers. And I just didn't like United. In some ways it was less convenient to be loyal to DL... definitely going against the grain for a Chicago area resident... but the experience was more enjoyable, so I figured why not.

With DL's unfriendly changes, there's no reason to continue this, so I began laying the groundwork for an exit long ago, which will conclude on December 31 of this year when I'll be over to AA entirely (except to burn miles and GUCs). Fortunately there are no shortage of good choices in this city.
Old Oct 20, 15, 2:22 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Operational reliability
Fleetwide gogo (don't love gogo, but appreciate the consistency)
Mainline service to destinations accustomed to express-only (717s really helping in this regard)
SFO/JFK SkyClub leaps and bounds above UC
Relatively functional website
Relatively friendly crews
Relatively better food than UA (++ in SCs)
Award availability / prices that at least tend to make sense, even if the skypeso value isn't great
Did I mention it's not United?

What keeps me from being a total shill?
- Generally inferior award partners / pricing though who knows how long this sustains
- Domestic 763 F is... ugh
- Needs more beef out of SFO/SJC, but they're getting there
- Some 57s, 37s and A320s still need power
- it's funny that I need to struggle to come up with these...

Last edited by aCavalierInCoach; Oct 20, 15 at 2:31 pm
Old Oct 20, 15, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Why does Delta have your loyalty?

I have no loyalty to any airline. DL has earned a good portion of my business for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread but I am as "loyal" to DL as they are to me which is zero. I have no problem buying a ticket elsewhere if the time / fare better suit my need. DL is a business and I make a business decision, loyalty need not apply.

Last edited by krlcomm; Oct 20, 15 at 2:44 pm
Old Oct 20, 15, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by krlcomm View Post
I have no loyalty to any airline. DL has earned a good portion of my business for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread but I am as "loyal" to DL as they are to me which is zero. I have no problem buying a ticket elsewhere if the time / fare better suit my need. DL is a business and I make a business decision, loyalty need not apply.
Old Oct 20, 15, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL PM
Hub captive. I wish I had choices out of DTW, but most of them connect through ORD, which I really try to avoid.
Old Oct 20, 15, 3:21 pm

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
FF programs for me isn't for the good times. it's for when sh!t hits the fan. Every time it has, Delta has had my back. That's why I'm loyal to them
Old Oct 20, 15, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, {Hilton, Bonvoy} Gold
A bunch of reasons.
- My regular travel destinations include MSP and DTW, so frequent nonstops are nice to have
- Selection of flights out of BOS
- Very good IRROPS handling (and I don't think it's all because I'm PM)
- Amex MQMs mean I can usually bump up one level of status
- Efficient hub airports, by which I mostly mean "not ORD" (To be fair, once McNamara opened DTW became really nice to connect through; ATL always was designed right, and MSP's only real weak spot for me is the frequent need to cross through the main shopping concourse between F/G and D/E/C.)
- Wifi-equipped F/Y+/Y layout aircraft on almost all routes these days
- Helpful friendly agents (especially in the SC)...and they reopened the A7 BOS SC!

Some negatives:
- Mediocre partners, though the VS partnership has improved this a bunch
- JFK as a hub? Seriously? T4B is too freaking long, T2 is better than it used to be but still second tier at best, and the insane taxi waits.... The T4 SC is nice though.
- SLC as a hub; the "fingers" layout is like the old PM (and pre-McNamara) NW operation in DTW, which I always disliked, but at least it's a small enough airport that it doesn't get in my way too often. SLC really needs a bigger SC and/or more SCs. (OTOH it beats DEN both operationally and because it doesn't have crazypants conspiracy theories about it or an Evil Killer Horse Statue)
Old Oct 20, 15, 3:32 pm

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton
They just run an extremely good operation these days. And, yes, I am pretty loyal these days, but was not always.

Back a couple of years ago, in the Airtran heyday, I flew a lot of Airtran. It was a more "fun" airline. I flew a lot of USAir back 10-15 years ago. But time moves on, and no question, Delta is at the top these days. Will they be at the top 10 years from now, who knows. Only time will tell.
Old Oct 20, 15, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
#1 Domestic route map. I go to a lot more out of the way places than some of you do. Ironically, I am currently on a trip where Delta used to have service (MFE) but doesn't any longer. I need better coverage in south and west Texas.

Operational Excellence. It isn't even close these days.

IROP recovery. Maybe the others do OK too but Delta recovers very well for me.

Upgrades. I am still hanging out at about 85% even though I missed the last two. I have made my two for Friday already.

Actually, I don't have a big problem with the FF program. I am usually able to get what I want. I know the rhetoric is different here and it ALWAYS HAS BEEN! Sometimes when I haven't been able to get what I want, I have been able to use PWM to get it.

I like the mileage based upon cost...at least so far. If my travel patterns change, maybe it will hurt me but right now it doesn't and wished MQMs followed the same formula.

Kick ... red coat agent at IND.

Cons: Sometimes inconsistent training of agents. LGA isn't great. Inability to combine vouchers. Inability to combine RUC and GUC with PWM. I wish the SDC still allowed any fare class but I get it. Getting screwed on upgrade possibility when on SDS. No GIDS at my home airport.
Old Oct 20, 15, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by thesaints View Post
They have my back.
LOL
Old Oct 20, 15, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Quote:

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Hub captive and refugee from PMNW.

DL seems to work for me with good operations and decent IROPs handling. I've been doing fine so far with the FF program, upgrades, G A P fares, SWUs and GUCs, etc. but I realize that I'm paying high fares out of MSP for the convenience of nonstops.

Now if DL just would give MSP some decent aircraft and stop ripping out FC/BE/D1 seats.....and undo the redo of the F/G SC to bring back the cubicles, plus give me some cheese and cracker options consistently.
+1. Exactly
Originally Posted by hnewman View Post
+1. Exactly
+1 more, most likely every Plat and Diamond Elite out of MSP feels this way
Old Oct 20, 15, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL PM
I initially started flying Delta because I am hub-captive (ATL).

However, having done some comparison flying over the last year, I can say that it's certainly not the FFP that engenders my long-term loyalty.

Great service engenders loyalty, and Delta does a really good job at using their FFP tiers to moderate service levels (in addition to providing better service overall).

Search this Thread