Why does Delta have your loyalty?

Old Oct 20, 15, 11:05 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Nearest airport has limited choice (US and DL)
DM treatment is quite good (except for new SDC policy).
They get me there on time.
I feel like the problems with the FF program are marginal (i.e. 25% worse than the next choice) so I get most of that plus the above.
Old Oct 20, 15, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
so I should say that I AM loyal to DL but I'm certainly not exclusive to DL but the reasons I stay w/ them are many...
...They get me to my destination safely and frequently we are on-time if not early
....IRROPS handling is superb
....SC agents are quite helpful
.....Consistency of the product, particularly in Long-haul J
.....and most importantly, they seem to value my loyalty. No, they don't let me UG a $400 TPAC ticket for free but then again I don't EXPECT them too. they're a business and If I wanted D1 bad enough, I'd buy it but they treat me well. I had a unique month last month in that on three occasions in one month I needed DL to be flexible and in each case they were. I needed:
to change an LUT ticket to later in the day (due to a job interview) and they only charged me the fare difference and waived the change fee
to change a paid J ticket on Alitalia. there was a sched change and they pieced together a routing that was very desirable to me but that they, technically, couldn't even sell but they made it work
to cancel a ticket due to a medical reason and they gave me the full value of it for future use.

I don't try to "game" the system and I don't make a habit of asking for exceptions, but do so only when needed, and not whimsically. All in all, I'm pleased with Delta and at the end of the day, I recognize that they are a business and a for-profit one at that.
Old Oct 20, 15, 11:57 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Home airport is an United hub and I refuse to fly on thier fleet of @*%! boxes anymore. Going out of either DCA or IAD I have a decent upgrade percentage and am 100% on the year for EC(The free drinks have made this not a horrible option).

I make most of my airline miles in CC spend so the miles earned flying is somewhat negligible since I do not fly TPAC or TATL.
Old Oct 20, 15, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
Airline hostage in Atlanta. 😧 I like American, and FF awards are less miles, but layovers in DFW add an extra hour or two. It's just easier to book a nonstop on Delta.
Old Oct 20, 15, 12:10 pm

MSP home, so not much choice, especially for international travel => "forced loyalty"
And I own their stock, over 100% ROI, so yeah, I want everyone on FT to fly DL exclusively => fake loyalty =>I'll dump the stock when necessary.
Old Oct 20, 15, 12:17 pm

Programs: *S(A3), Marriott Plat, AS MVP, BA, AP, DL, KE
The only thing I do not like about DL is there FFP. I think their inflight and check in service is much better than AA and UA. Also, I really like the lounge in ATL. Too bad there will be no more DL lounge access for BR members next year.
Old Oct 20, 15, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
For me the key thing is the best looking flight attendant uniforms of all the major US carriers.
Old Oct 20, 15, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/5.7 MMer; MR: Lifetime Platinum Premiere 9.9M pts, 3100 night;
It's all about choices.

For years and the last time I counted (pre-AA/US merger), Delta has more flights out of LEX before 8 AM than any other airline has all day.
Old Oct 20, 15, 1:01 pm

The airports they use. ATL is a 35 minute flight from home, and I actually like navigating that airport. DTW is just over an hour, and is also easy to use. Between those 2 airports, I can get to 99% of the places I need to go. If I flew UA or AA, I would be stuck in places like EWR (just ....ing shoot me now), ORD (which, based on personal experiences, has an on-time rate of 1%), or CLT (meh).

The amex card makes it easy to get extra miles and MQMs

I've flown 3 flights on United in the last year. Each of them was delayed 3+ hours or just straight up cancelled, leaving me stranded. Over that same time period I have 50+ segments with Delta. My worst experience was going to be a 1.5 hour delay, and they just rebooked me on a flight that actually got me home earlier.

The hard product is better. Out of BNA, I'm usually on a MD-88, MD-90, A319, or 717 on Delta. On United or AA, it's a lot of ERJs and CRJs.

edit: you can't say f*ck on this message board? Ha ha ha, it won't even let me put W T eff.
Old Oct 20, 15, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton, Marriot, and Melia Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
1MM projected for second half of 2016, for what it's worth. Anyway, it would be silly to drop them now and I'm always hoping at some point DL may bring that program on a par level with competitors.

Also, SkyTeam international network and the partnership with VS work for me.
Of course, I could join AF or VS programs...
Old Oct 20, 15, 1:07 pm

Delta provides the best on time ness record in the US.
Best on board and front line employee services.
IROPs.
Accommodating. Make exceptions to rules for unexpected circumstances.

If you pick airlines with FF program the most important criteria, you are worthless to airlines. It is all just business as usual. Delta gets you to your destination on time and safely, provides superior onboard service, has happy employees.
Old Oct 20, 15, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by thesaints View Post
1MM projected for second half of 2016, for what it's worth. Anyway, it would be silly to drop them now and I'm always hoping at some point DL may bring that program on a par level with competitors.

Also, SkyTeam international network and the partnership with VS work for me.
Of course, I could join AF or VS programs...
I think more likely is that AA and UA continue to downgrade their programs to DL as opposed to DL upgrading theirs.
Old Oct 20, 15, 1:24 pm

Started w/ DL even though in US/AA mini-hub (DCA) - Amex helps - on time - IRROPS - dont mind connections in ATL/DTW/MSP - moved up slowly from nothing to FO now GM - each level, even basic no status, service always top notch.

What sealed it for me was how they handled a medical situation that came up 2 days prior to a trip with my wife in 12/2014 - call me a sap, but they way they handled themselves and each employee spoke to me, they have a customer for life. Now, I find myself on AA a bit more these days, but always check DL first.
Old Oct 20, 15, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
1. Mainline from my home airport and domestic 763s.
2. On time performance and cancellation record.
3. EC+.
4. fewest Y middle seats in the business with highest 1st class percentage in the business.
5. best first class experience from the 3 legacy airlines.

Moved to DL from UA a couple of years ago and never looked back

Last edited by IflyfromABE; Oct 20, 15 at 4:49 pm
Old Oct 20, 15, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Club Carlson Gold, Hertz PC
SEA-based, PMNW frequent flyer to Hawaii and Asia. After the merger, DL managed to maintain good customer service while integrating the personnel and route networks. DL has kept my loyalty by consistently delivering the best customer service of any of the legacies. I don't mind spending a little more for good customer service, and in my mind it has always been worth it to keep flying DL.

Search this Thread