8 Empty F Seats

Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
8 Empty F Seats

Rarely am I on a flight with an empty seat up front. Yesterday I was flying back from SJU-JFK-DCA and on my SJU-JFK leg 50% of the F cabin was empty. Equipment was a 737-8. I know this is a leisure route, but 8 empty F seats is a lot.

I was talking to the lead FA and he was even shocked. He told me I was the only Platinum on the flight. With 8 empty seats that would also mean there couldn't have been more than 8 Medallions on the flight who were eligible for upgrades. Coach was full, minus the first row of Comfort+

The FA's loved it since they got to eat all of the extra meals.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
How big were these flight attendants? There are what, four flight attendants on the 738? And you said there were eight empty F seats. So that would mean these flight attendants each consumed two meals!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH DM, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Amtrak SP
I used to fly BOS-JFK-SJU round trips pretty regularly up until about a year ago and I don't think I ever missed an upgrade as a PM. Definitely had multiple occasions where there were empty seats next to me. I tried BOS-ATL-SJU a few times and didn't get many upgrades. Seems like the JFK-SJU leg was pretty light on the regular flyers when I was doing it every other week.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:35 pm

Leisure Destination during Hurricane season. 8 is a high number but not a shockingly high one.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:13 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
How big were these flight attendants?
Heavens to Betsy!!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
I was similarly surprised to see roughly half of the first class seats remain unoccupied on a recent ATL-BOS flight. Granted, it was the ~9:45 p.m. departure on a Monday, but I still would have expected more Medallions on a flight departing ATL.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I once flew SLC-ORD with 10 empty seats in F. I was the only paying passenger in F.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Wonder if this could be part of the problem?

Upgrades requested via Delta.com reservations are being "dropped"
by funky Delta IT router?

A few weeks back ACCDraw.2 & I noticed we were not on upgrade list. ��
(Reservations always made on Delta.com & request upgrade always checked yes.)

Called help line & very helpful person said "yes, we see you requested upgrade
online, and no you are not on upgrade list." Nice Delta person put us in que for
upgrade. He also told ACCDraw.2 "there is a glitch in the system and if you make
reservations online, sometimes the system 'unchecks upgrade requested' we're aware of
the problem, it's a router, we're just trying to figure out which one." He also
recommended that we call help line to make sure requested upgrade actually
shows up in system.

Last edited by ACCDraw; Oct 19, 2015 at 5:27 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
It happens on occasion. A few years ago while doing a mileage, I received an UG at the window as an FO on a Friday evening DTW-LAX flight in the middle of October. Flight was operated on a 777. The front cabin was at most 2/3rds full. Over Christmas weekend that same year, I was on an ATL-CVG leg that had a couple empty seats in F.

I had an SEA-LAX flight (early Saturday AM) earlier this year that had several empty seats in F. The seat next to me was occupied but the row behind me was completely empty so I moved back one row after the door closed.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
I did a JFK-SJU run last year to top off my miles....for a $190 tixx it was an easy upgrade with 3 empties on the way down and 2 on the way back up. Out for breakfast, same crew and back home for dinner.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Playsmart
I did a JFK-SJU run last year to top off my miles....for a $190 tixx it was an easy upgrade with 3 empties on the way down and 2 on the way back up. Out for breakfast, same crew and back home for dinner.
Several of my co-workers give me hell for it but I did a day trip to LAX on a Saturday to go to In-N-Out and spend the day photographing planes. Caught an early flight down. Caught the last flight of the night back. Got UGed both ways and got two meals and plenty of drinks. All for $150 between the ticket and two meals at In-N-Out Others may not think so, but to me: not a bad day of entertainment for the price.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Several of my co-workers give me hell for it but I did a day trip to LAX on a Saturday to go to In-N-Out and spend the day photographing planes. Caught an early flight down. Caught the last flight of the night back. Got UGed both ways and got two meals and plenty of drinks. All for $150 between the ticket and two meals at In-N-Out Others may not think so, but to me: not a bad day of entertainment for the price.
If I may ask...a day trip from where to LAX? I'm thinking of doing the same from SFO>LAX>SFO! If I can get it for $150 even better!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I took a redeye from JFK to SDQ last summer, where there was only 2 passengers expected by the crew. The two of us spent long time sitting in the empty FC cabin, until some NRSA joined the party.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: DL PM
I have experienced this once from RDU-JFK at 1:35PM in the end of June. There were 3 empty FC seats on a CRJ-900. I was just as surprised as you...
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I had a companion upgrade clear on this this segment, so I'm not surprised.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.