Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone know why DL158 diverting to SEA?

Old Oct 19, 15, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold

DL158, ICN-DTW (equip: B744) is currently en-route to SEA.

Anyone know the cause of today's diversion?

Will be taking the flight soon and was looking at FlightAware to get an idea of the actual flight time when I noticed it was diverting to SEA.

SDF
Old Oct 19, 15, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Weird that usually flies over Chinese and Russian airspace and then close to the north pole and over Canada to DTW. To me SEA is not a logical divert point.
Old Oct 19, 15, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Strange... it left ICN over an hour late too. Only scheduled to be in SEA for an hour though, so that sounds like just a land, fuel and go. Perhaps medical? If it was MX, I doubt they'd be going onward to DTW with the same equip only an hour after landing.
Old Oct 19, 15, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Agree. An hour is unlikely to be MX.
Old Oct 19, 15, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
A quick (waste of agent's time, I know) phone call to the DM line yields the answer, that, it was due to an ill crew member & crew change.

Wishing that they get well soon!
Old Oct 19, 15, 8:39 am

Original delay was sick crew member. My guess from there is the existing crew didn't have enough hours left to get to DTW. So a semi planned SEA stop to pick up new a crew
Old Oct 19, 15, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR View Post
Weird that usually flies over Chinese and Russian airspace and then close to the north pole and over Canada to DTW. To me SEA is not a logical divert point.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...125Z/RKSI/KSEA
Per flightaware looks like the flight was on a more southerly course today. The flight was southeast of ANC when the aircraft made a right turn towards SEA. Gonna guess that the cause for diversion was not determined to be an immediate threat and that SEA provided the best options for both MX and passenger re-accommodation. The aircraft was only the ground 2 hours at SEA before continuing on to DTW.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by DLMiddleSeats View Post
Original delay was sick crew member. My guess from there is the existing crew didn't have enough hours left to get to DTW. So a semi planned SEA stop to pick up new a crew
Ah never mind - makes sense.
Old Oct 19, 15, 11:40 am

not going to fly this route for a while
recent history:
1. hail damage
2. lost 1 eng and divert to NRT
3. now is crew feeling ill ???
feels like this route is cursed ....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: