Very impressed with DAL.

Old Oct 17, 15, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Very impressed with DAL.

Just want to give a shout out to DAL. We normally fly UAL because of miles/status/geography but recently flew Delta to Italy using, oh, about a hundred years worth of AMEX points.

The experience was stellar:

1) Incredible Delta One check-in at LAX. Wow!
2) Okay, the first class seats on the LAX to ATL weren't anything to brag about, but the ATL-FCO flight was flawless.
3) After our VCE-JFK flight we were worried about clearing customs to make our connection to LAX but in addition to US Customs being so efficient (who would have thought?) we so appreciated the clear signage in the Delta terminal and the ease with which we were able to re-check our luggage. We made our connection with time to spare.
4) Dinner on the JFK-LAX flight was by far the best airplane food I've ever had.
5) On every flight, the flight attendants were unfailingly cheerful, helpful and professional
6) The only thing UAL wins is that their safety video has better production values.

I, for one, am not thrilled about UAL switching to EWR from JFK. Will definitely consider DAL for future trips based on my experience.
Old Oct 17, 15, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Originally Posted by ejong View Post
Just want to give a shout out to DAL. We normally fly UAL because of miles/status/geography but recently flew Delta to Italy using, oh, about a hundred years worth of AMEX points.

The experience was stellar:
^
Old Oct 17, 15, 12:57 pm

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM->PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
4) Dinner on the JFK-LAX flight was by far the best airplane food I've ever had.

I, for one, am not thrilled about UAL switching to EWR from JFK. Will definitely consider DAL for future trips based on my experience.
After 3 or 4 TCONs you'll realize that while the menu rotates it never changes. #firstworldproblem

Also, try B6 Mint for better food (ignoring FFP, IROPs, etc).
Old Oct 17, 15, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
We normally fly UAL because of miles/status/geography
Doesn't have to be. I live near SFO, but fly DL cause it's a better experience, even with an extra connection. DL will match your status. You can gradually burn off your accumulated UA miles
Old Oct 17, 15, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post
I live near SFO, but fly DL cause it's a better experience, even with an extra connection.
Same here and that's been the case for 25 years.
Old Oct 17, 15, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL
Love this post! I recently moved to Delta after many, many years as a United loyalist. I've only flown on shorter flights so far (LGA-DTW mostly) but have really enjoyed the friendlier and more efficient ground and inflight service!
Old Oct 17, 15, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Very impressed with DAL.

Thumbs up to this post. As much as Skymiles has been devalued over the past few years, I stay loyal only because the frontline staff still make it a million times more enjoyable to fly Delta than any other airline. I'm flying home to NYC from Manila, and the Chisholm agent I got managed to overbook the last leg so I could get home tonight.
Old Oct 17, 15, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post
Doesn't have to be. I live near SFO, but fly DL cause it's a better experience, even with an extra connection. DL will match your status. You can gradually burn off your accumulated UA miles
On my main route of interest UA has 1x daily nonstop from SFO but on the outbound it's sometimes a late-arriving flight or sometimes a red-eye outbound (which is annoying for those meeting me, or me, respectively) and the inbound departs at an hour that my body refuses to recognize as valid when followed by the letters "AM"

Thus for me as a practical matter, I would usually be choosing connecting flights anyway if I flew UA, so I don't even consider it to be an "extra" connection on another airline
Old Oct 17, 15, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

DAL will match our status? That would make a big difference!
Old Oct 17, 15, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
DAL will match our status? That would make a big difference!
Sure, DL likes to steal other airlines frequent flyers: https://www.delta.com/contactus/page...atch/index.jsp

I'm always amazed at the number of people who think that because they've been a frequent flyer with an inferior airline, that they have to continue suffering with that airline forever.
Old Oct 18, 15, 7:05 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Starriott Ambassador, National Exec Elite
6) The only thing UAL wins is that their safety video has better production values.
Ok, I haven't been on a United (or Continental) flight in 20 years, but I find this one hard to believe. Delta seems to invest a decent amount of money into its safety video product, so I would love to know what it is that United shows that is so superior.
Old Oct 18, 15, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Don't mean to steal the OPs thunder but I also had the most amazing flight yesterday; SXM - JFK. Sure, this was a short Caribbean flight filled with mostly non elites but wow, the FA's who worked F class were simply outstanding. This one FA ,anytime she stopped to ask if I needed anything, which was plenty of times, she had a genuine smile like she worked for the best company in all of the world and enjoyed it. The service was simply out of this world. That one particular FA was so good, she could've fed me dog food and it would've been OK. Actually, the F meal was quite good!
Old Oct 18, 15, 10:47 am
Original Poster

@Robert Leach here is a link to the UA safety video:

You must watch it to the end or else you'll miss the kangaroo, and it's all about the kangaroo!

Far superior imho to the one my new favorite airline (DAL) has. Someone in a chipmunk costume and a guy dressed up like Moses parting the Red Sea just can't compete with the kangaroo.
Old Oct 18, 15, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/5.98 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Far superior imho to the one my new favorite airline (DAL) has. Someone in a chipmunk costume and a guy dressed up like Moses parting the Red Sea just can't compete with the kangaroo.
I respectfully disagree. The subtle connections to current fads and trends beats a biting kangaroo.
Old Oct 18, 15, 5:37 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Curious how many miles it cost you?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: