Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Somebody cancelling my flight tickets...

Old Oct 12, 15, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

Since Feb. of this year, somebody has been calling DL and posing as my mother giving a fake name and cancel all of my reservations. They also sometimes move me to the last row of the plane in the middle seat.

I have been changing my passwords, creating a new SM account and merging it, changing my email, phone. I also asked DL to document the SM account and all future tickets with a passcode so if anyone calls in, they wouldn't be able to cancel without telling the passcode to the CS rep.

This usually happens around 1-4 AM EST. Delta has been working with me on this ongoing issue on several trips and reinstated the tickets. Sometimes it happens right before departure after checking in, and getting my boarding pass. The GA would not let me board telling me that the ticket was just cancelled 5 minutes ago.

I have filed a police report, but DL says that it is impossible for anyone to cancel a reservation without verifying the flight details and passenger info.

Has this, or anything similar happened to anybody else on this forum?
Old Oct 12, 15, 4:11 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-exDM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Luckily it has not happened to me. Are these company purchased itineraries?

I know at a previous company, they would share the PNRs of all the company travelers and I always thought someone could try to do something like you've experienced.
Old Oct 12, 15, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Moderna 2 Dose
Wow, this sounds... personal.

Do you have a personal assistant or other travel arranger who might have a vendetta? A spouse, child or ex who would be familiar with your travel patterns? Most of the explanations I can come up with involve someone monitoring your email or another service like TripIt, so Occam's Razor would direct the lens toward personal acquaintances (although I'm sure you've considered this already).

If you want to take the scientific method toward it, you can experiment a bit; you could book a ticket in a refundable fare class on a relatively empty flight but not tell anyone, and see if it gets cancelled. Or you could book two similar itineraries, and make sure to tell anyone you're suspicious of about one but not the other.

If it happens again, you may also try to coordinate with the police to see if Delta can examine the call recordings and match the voice with any suspects?

Sorry this is happening to you - hope you get it figured out (and we want the full story when you do!)
Old Oct 12, 15, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

I bet someone has found your SM number and using that to find PNRs and change them. This is why I never leave paper boarding passes anywhere.
Old Oct 12, 15, 4:17 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Wonder if DL could change your Skymiles number...
Old Oct 12, 15, 4:20 pm

Programs: Delta Platimum, United 1K
Something similar happened to me. A stalker found out my skymile number and donated all my miles (>100k). Delta reinstated it and I changed my skymile number and password. That took care of the problem.

Tip: someone might hack your email without you knowing to get this information. I would change ALL password.
Old Oct 12, 15, 4:28 pm

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
Originally Posted by Vuelos View Post
Wonder if DL could change your Skymiles number...
They can but I believe they always remain linked. I'm on my third one but I can login with any of the past ones. I guess they'd somehow have to create a new one and somehow move all the rest over manually?

But it sounds like this person knows the OP well enough that they could just call in and say they forgot it.
Old Oct 12, 15, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

Hold on-- with the delta systems looking you up by your phone number - it's relatively easily to just spoof a phone number and then someone can pretend to be the OP
Old Oct 12, 15, 4:41 pm

is this relevant to the bar code thing on boarding pass people are talking about recently ?
Old Oct 12, 15, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Moderna 2 Dose
Originally Posted by Kevin Liu View Post
is this relevant to the bar code thing on boarding pass people are talking about recently ?
Doubtful. Boarding passes contain a barcode with detailed and unencrypted information about you and your itinerary, though, so you should be cautious about where you leave them and shred/destroy them when you're finished.

But it seems unlikely that someone would find a random boarding pass and use the SkyMiles number from it to repeatedly harass a person like this without any motive. I'd expect the threat in that case would be more someone redeeming your frequent flier miles without your consent - and even that would require them to know your passcode or to convince a phone agent to make the booking.
Old Oct 12, 15, 5:00 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by suvayanr View Post
Hold on-- with the delta systems looking you up by your phone number - it's relatively easily to just spoof a phone number and then someone can pretend to be the OP
I do not call in enough to notice how the system works, but I agree that spoofing the calling party number might be a huge security issue. Certainly likely to be a big step in getting past the verification process.

Also, if the OP is really being "stalked" for a while, the party could be accumulating data that makes the process easy later on. Once it, check on a few future flight schedules ...

Still comes down to the OP's fault though. He should have given the (now ex) girlfriend a Valentines gift
Old Oct 12, 15, 5:15 pm

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
This is the same guy who had issues with a GM being upgraded before him (PM) - I wonder if that's the cause of his missing upgrade. Just remove the Upgrade Requested before the 5 day timer hits, then quietly add it back in at the last second once the upgrades are gone.
Old Oct 12, 15, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

I'm only 16 years old, I can't think of anyone who has a vendetta against me. These are not company tickets, all leisure.

DL has changed my SM #, I have changed my password. The passcode I added is not really a password, it's just documented in the ticket so when the CS rep sees this documentation, they will verify it, and verify all the travel details.

I always use mobile boarding passes. Delta said that they were calling in and cancelling the reservations. Some tickets had NO DOCUMENTATION once cancelled and DL said a DFW & SLC rep cancelled my reservations as per "my mother's request".

My mom did not cancel any of my tickets, she drops me off at the airport. The police are still investigating and DL thinks a CA phone number was used to call in. I live in NC.

Surprised that with so much security in this industry, that someone can cancel a reservation so easily without any real information.

I will keep you posted...
Old Oct 12, 15, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton, Marriot, and Melia Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
That's probably because you are a minor.
Old Oct 12, 15, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thesaints View Post
That's probably because you are a minor.
Yes, but I've told DL numerous times that they shouldn't touch any of my reservations unless I call in myself and give them the passcode, and DL has documented this too. Why do they cancel the tickets anyway without the passcode even after reading the documentation on the ticket?

I've familiarized myself with most of the DL employees at RDU, when it happens at the airport, they reinstate the tickets no questions asked. Until it stops, I can rely on them to resolve it and help.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: