FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Doing RTW ( Multiple segments actually) - Looking to burn DL on NON U.S. segments (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1715986-doing-rtw-multiple-segments-actually-looking-burn-dl-non-u-s-segments.html)

NoStressHere Oct 11, 2015 2:06 pm

Doing RTW ( Multiple segments actually) - Looking to burn DL on NON U.S. segments

Time to use up some miles using multiple plans. Have 243k DL miles. Flights to and from U.S. covered. Wife and I are trying to stick to as much BIZ or First as possible. And sweet spots in Europe/Africa/Asia anyone can suggest.

Flying in mid March to mid April on three week trip.

FYI for those that do this stuff, doing Emirates 1st DFW-Dubai-Europe using Alaska Air points. Return Asia-ICN to U.S. on Korean, 1st or Biz using Amex/Ultimate Rewards points.

pgh234 Oct 11, 2015 3:23 pm

My current Skymiles sweet spot is Garuda Indonesia. Awesome business class (especially on the 77W!) and a ton of availability. Airport side of things will leave a lot to be desired though...

NoStressHere Oct 12, 2015 12:07 pm

Hmm. they get get good reviews on their product, especially first. But of course, DL does not book first on partners, right?

Might still do them on a segment. Any locations you are fond of?

PDXNRTLHR Oct 12, 2015 12:51 pm

Don't forget the foreign origination fee from Europe, as well as other carrier surcharges.

dilbertsdaddy Oct 12, 2015 12:52 pm

Be aware of the fees. I recently tried to do an intra-Europe and mileage rates were fine but the fees were almost as much as just buying a ticket. :confused:

CPMaverick Oct 12, 2015 3:19 pm

I'm a little confused, what are your already booked flights? You are going to Europe via DXB (the long way), then want ideas on how to return to ICN, is that the plan? That is what I gather from your post, but it isn't a RTW itinerary.

Without that info, I could say look at Czech, Air Tahiti Nui, and Virgin Australia (domestic). These are not on the website search but can be useful options. If you are able and willing to do the Russian Visa, Aeroflot might be a good way to go from Europe to ICN, with a Moscow stop.

CPMaverick Oct 12, 2015 3:22 pm

Sorry double post

NoStressHere Oct 12, 2015 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 25554367)
I'm a little confused, what are your already booked flights? You are going to Europe via DXB (the long way), then want ideas on how to return to ICN, is that the plan? That is what I gather from your post, but it isn't a RTW itinerary.

Our current plan is DFW-DCB-Europe - actual city still up in the air. 1st on Emirates available multiple dates, so not yet booked. We are flexible and options currently look good. Will start booking soon, but waiting for some creidit card bonuses to hit. Last leg right now looks like somewhere in Asia to ICN and then to states in first on Korean Air.

Flights in between are open. Maybe Africa, Indonesia, Australia, SE Asia. Rather open right now. We are doing 3 weeks from mid March to mid April.

CPMaverick Oct 13, 2015 6:13 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 25555726)
Our current plan is DFW-DCB-Europe - actual city still up in the air. 1st on Emirates available multiple dates, so not yet booked. We are flexible and options currently look good. Will start booking soon, but waiting for some creidit card bonuses to hit. Last leg right now looks like somewhere in Asia to ICN and then to states in first on Korean Air.

Flights in between are open. Maybe Africa, Indonesia, Australia, SE Asia. Rather open right now. We are doing 3 weeks from mid March to mid April.

So you are not doing a RTW trip then? You just want to connect Europe with ICN in some interesting way?

I believe Africa would be challenging as you'd have to return to Europe to go anywhere east from there. The best options would probably be Russia (via Aeroflot) SE Asia (multiple options) or Australia (via SE Asia and then Virgin Australia). In theory you could get a KE flight to ICN from any of these destinations.

China would be an option as well, and might have better award availability.

NoStressHere Oct 13, 2015 10:11 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 25557063)
So you are not doing a RTW trip then? You just want to connect Europe with ICN in some interesting way?

Maybe we have different "interpretations" of what a RTW trip is. We are leaving from Nashville, TN, heading east and will eventually get back to TN after going around the world crossing all 24 time zones - some multiple times. So, we are calling it a RTW trip.

Appreciate your advice and input! Thanks

CPMaverick Oct 14, 2015 4:59 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 25558197)
Maybe we have different "interpretations" of what a RTW trip is. We are leaving from Nashville, TN, heading east and will eventually get back to TN after going around the world crossing all 24 time zones - some multiple times. So, we are calling it a RTW trip.

Appreciate your advice and input! Thanks

Sorry, maybe it is my current location but I had it in my head you were going west to DXB. You are definitely doing a proper RTW trip. :) Good luck and let us know what you decide, I think some of your options would interest me as well.

RobertH Oct 14, 2015 8:09 am

Sounds like a pretty neat trip. Do you have any American AAdvantage miles? My wife and I just went ORD - HKG - JNB - DOH - AMM - ORD on AADvantage miles in J. I think this was RTW - I know we kept going west, south, north, and west again.

NoStressHere Oct 14, 2015 11:03 am

Originally Posted by RobertH (Post 25563081)
Sounds like a pretty neat trip. Do you have any American AAdvantage miles? My wife and I just went ORD - HKG - JNB - DOH - AMM - ORD on AADvantage miles in J. I think this was RTW - I know we kept going west, south, north, and west again.

AMM - Jordan?

That sounds like a good trip as well. We have some AA (american) - maybe enough for one leg for two people along the way - probably J.

Leaving states via Emirates using Alaska miles to Dubai, or just a bit more we can then do Europe. Dubai flights all go eastbound. Alaska allows one free stopover, but flights must originate or end in U.S.

Still trying to figure out where to go after getting to Europe and before heading back via ICN. Asia, Indonesia, Australia, Africa using Delta miles in Biz or First.