Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I take back all the nice things i've said about JFK T4

Old Oct 8, 15, 6:22 am
Original Poster

I never understood all the hate that JFK T4 gets on here. Sure, it's a large terminal with a lot of walking - but i've always found it to be modern and spacious, have enjoyed the nice dining and shopping options, and have only flown from there to an exciting destination (this year to SJU, PHX, SFO, GRU and NRT). To me it was what a modern international terminal should look like.

Until yesterday......flew JFK->ORD. Usually take the LGA->ORD shuttle but the price difference was too much so i opted for a JFK flight. Gate B52. Okay. Go through security and start walking. Hello Shake Shack, hello fun pizza place with the yummy breakfast stromboli, hello skyclub, what a lovely day to be flying out of JFK. Oooooh, flights to Amsterdam, flights to Tel Aviv, flights to Moscow, how exotic. A few minutes later I went down an escalator to discover the awfulness that is their 'regional' section of T4. Such a terrible space. Cramped, dirty, crowded, lots of regional flight to Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and my CR9 to Chicago.

I recognize someone flying to Chicago may not arrive as early to JFK or have the same pre-flight needs as someone flying TATL but this makes LGA look awesome.

The flight was fine and took off ~10 minutes late, I have no issue with Delta inflight, but ugh, i'm never flying out of JFK again on a regional flight.
Old Oct 8, 15, 6:26 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Is it as bad as the rat maze?
Old Oct 8, 15, 6:57 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Yeah it is such a vast improvement from the old T2 rat maze it is really hard to be critical.
Old Oct 8, 15, 7:29 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
T4's RJ area looked outdated and kind of grim from the minute it opened, IMO. Low ceiling, very few windows and hard plastic seats -- considering they were starting with a blank slate couldn't they have made it a little nicer? The only good thing is there are plenty of outlets at the seats. I agree it's an improvement over the T2 RJ area, but that's not saying much.
Old Oct 8, 15, 10:06 am

Programs: DM/2MM
It's definitely cramped and crowded, but it's already dirty? For all T4's drawbacks, I think the non-RJ areas are kept fairly clean.
Old Oct 8, 15, 10:12 am

Programs: AA, SPG GLD, DL FO, VX, UA, US, ICH, Hyatt, Avis Pref.
When entering the B concourse, follow the signs for your gate and take a right to the bus that will take you direct to B55. You'll save time.

I find the new regional area to be an improvement over the old regional farm of T2. It reminds me of the high numbered B gates at DEN for United Express.
Old Oct 8, 15, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
The T4 RJ gates area may be a little crowded during peak times, but I have never seen it dirty. Just went through there a few days ago and it looked fine. It's worlds apart from the dreadful C64-C66 DCI operation at T2...
Old Oct 8, 15, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL PLAT, IC AMB
Since I'm fortunate to be between two airports, I usually prefer the smaller airports such as LGA for regional flights over the larger ones. I'm situated between BOS and BDL, and almost always choose BDL for regional flights where I'm going to have to connect anyway.
Old Oct 9, 15, 8:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Agree with what other posters have said, that the area can be crowded, but I've always found it to be clean.

Have you seen the new RJ section at LGA on the lower level of Terminal C? I was hoping that Delta was going to do away completely with that mini-bus ride to aircraft but for some reason, they love using those buses, where there's never enough room for people with all their carry-ons.

Look, both locations are better than the old RJ corral at T2 at JFK, but I wish Delta would get rid of the bus rides out to the tarmac completely.
Old Oct 9, 15, 8:32 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bstndance View Post
When entering the B concourse, follow the signs for your gate and take a right to the bus that will take you direct to B55. You'll save time.

I find the new regional area to be an improvement over the old regional farm of T2. It reminds me of the high numbered B gates at DEN for United Express.
Also, you can go in at T2 and take the bus from there. Once you're airside at T2 it takes 8 seconds to get to any other airside point in T2, compared to T4 where the best choice is to rent a covered wagon and lay in supplies before making the trek even from the checkpoint to the bus stop, let alone all the way to the Skyclub and beyond
Old Oct 9, 15, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
before making the trek even from the checkpoint to the bus stop,
That's about 600 feet. Hardly a schlep by any realistic standards.

And it is less than half a mile from checkpoint to the SkyClub. If that takes more than 10 minutes you're moving very, very, very slowly.
Old Oct 9, 15, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Along these lines, can I check a bag at T2 and then take the shuttle to the regional gates at T4?

I mean, if i'm getting on the bus anyways why not check in at the quieter terminal?
Old Oct 9, 15, 9:07 am

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM->PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
Originally Posted by tonypct View Post
Have you seen the new RJ section at LGA on the lower level of Terminal C? I was hoping that Delta was going to do away completely with that mini-bus ride to aircraft but for some reason, they love using those buses, where there's never enough room for people with all their carry-ons.
Yes, be warned if your flight leaves from "gates" C12-C14 at LGA. I just discovered it last week, what a delight, especially since it was pouring when the bus got to the plane. Which, of course, is still parked next to the D gates. (Though I suppose boarding in C reduces congestion in D.)

Originally Posted by injera View Post
Along these lines, can I check a bag at T2 and then take the shuttle to the regional gates at T4?
Yes. As a general rule, you can check in and bag drop wherever you want when there are split terminal ops (JFK T2/T4, LGA C/D, ATL "domestic"/"international" etc). (An exception being the LGA MAT.)
Old Oct 9, 15, 10:05 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tonypct View Post
Agree with what other posters have said, that the area can be crowded, but I've always found it to be clean.

Look, both locations are better than the old RJ corral at T2 at JFK, but I wish Delta would get rid of the bus rides out to the tarmac completely.
Please tell me that LGA isn't using a bus for CRJ-900 aircraft.
Old Oct 9, 15, 10:07 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
That's about 600 feet. Hardly a schlep by any realistic standards.

And it is less than half a mile from checkpoint to the SkyClub. If that takes more than 10 minutes you're moving very, very, very slowly.
Ten minutes to walk half a mile means three miles per hour. Normal walking pace for a healthy adult (not elderly, etc.) is considered to be two and a half miles an hour.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: