Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Suing Delta Connection Partner Republic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Suing Delta Connection Partner Republic

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by malexander131
Seems like this might be continuing. Sitting at DCA now and it looks like there's 5 Shuttle flights to LGA cancelled, with a swap out to an MD-90 to cover the difference. Have to imagine on a route like the Shuttle that hurts..
It may not be Republic related, but LGA is a hot foggy mess today. Delays and cancels from every airline.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Talking

Originally Posted by Down3Green
While there have been ongoing manning/crew sked problems at Republic and Gojet, today's issues in LGA had a different cause. There was heavy fog at all 3 NYC airports this morning with visibilities down to 1/8th of a mile (500-700RVR at one point). With LGA having the least sophisticated instrument landing systems, they generally fare worse than the other two. They had rolling ground stops all morning and GDPs in excess of 3hrs. Although the weather has improved, there is still a significant delay program in effect
Aha. That makes more sense.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by Down3Green
While there have been ongoing manning/crew sked problems at Republic and Gojet, today's issues in LGA had a different cause. There was heavy fog at all 3 NYC airports this morning with visibilities down to 1/8th of a mile (500-700RVR at one point). With LGA having the least sophisticated instrument landing systems, they generally fare worse than the other two. They had rolling ground stops all morning and GDPs in excess of 3hrs. Although the weather has improved, there is still a significant delay program in effect
Exactly. When I checked the weather, I saw something I've never seen before: BCAT1. I've been through plenty of IFR and some LIFR, but never anything quite as low as that. Once, a friend shared an ACARS printout when he landed in SEA a few months ago and it was 1/4SM FG VV001. They weren't sure if they'd make the approach (in a CR7, I think), and he was about to make a missed approach call and they started making out the lights. That challenging enough, I can't imagine trying to fly into a place like NYC. Bad weather, low visibility, wind...
It actually amazes me that LGA doesn't have approaches with lower minimums.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
We will see what DL ends up with now that Republic has declared bankruptcy today...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...on-in-new-york
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
We will see what DL ends up with now that Republic has declared bankruptcy today...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...on-in-new-york
I think that it is almost all for show. I'd be more concerned with what United and American end up with. I feel for some reason they're going to get the short end of the stick.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
This is what happens with knee-jerk legislation. 1500 hours does nothing to improve safety and those two Colgan pilots had much more than 1500 hours. The Colgan accident was a result of a captain who should have been de-winged years before the crash occurred. A few deaths has lead to a collapse of the regional airline industry.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Republic files for bankruptcy protection

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/26/news...&iid=obnetwork
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
This is what happens with knee-jerk legislation. 1500 hours does nothing to improve safety and those two Colgan pilots had much more than 1500 hours. The Colgan accident was a result of a captain who should have been de-winged years before the crash occurred. A few deaths has lead to a collapse of the regional airline industry.
And I have always surmised that, until the majors start feeling the same impact, there will be little motivation to change it. Sure, the regionals are hurting, grounding planes, canceling flights. But they've always been undercutting others to fly a route. When their captains get 3000-5000 hours they jet (pun intended) to a mainline. So as long as there is a flow, and lobbying from groups like ALPA that "there's no pilot shortage," nothing will change. So now, my only viable option after school is to go spend more time and money to get an instructor rating, and go so some school that trains Chinese pilots, sitting in the right seat of a Cessna flying circles and making sure the new foreign pilot doesn't violate any regs or crash. I'm not trying to argue the merit of advanced ratings like CFI, but the value of the actual flight time: sitting in the right seat accruing 1,000 hours while mostly monitoring flights, or flying as the second-in-command of a turboprop or other commuter, observing and assisting an experienced captain flying to smaller airports or in busy terminal airspace, etc.

But hey, hit a magic number and SkyWest, Republic, TSA, and all the other regionals will let you commit 200-300 hours below ATP minimums, and throw you into jet systems, sims, and other classes 25-50 hours before minimums. I just feel that my time would be better spent, and my skills and abilities furthered, doing actual flying. But that's just my two cents.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
People who think they know better than the FAA are welcome to make public comments to the docket during the open period. Be sure to add your FT screen name.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
People who think they know better than the FAA are welcome to make public comments to the docket during the open period. Be sure to add your FT screen name.
That's right. The government always knows best. Congressmen would never legislate something they know nothing about... You are such a good little citizen.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
To say something like this is to not fully understand the chain of events that occurred and the "why's" behind them.

And I do have aircraft incident investigation experience with the USAF.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
To say something like this is to not fully understand the chain of events that occurred and the "why's" behind them.

And I do have aircraft incident investigation experience with the USAF.
And hey, even for someone with no aviation background, you should still be able to answer this question: when your airplane is alerting you to a stall (annunciations, stick shaker, aural alerts), what do you think the proper reaction should be?
a) Pull back on the stick (to raise the nose high into the air) and maneuver wildly
b) Level the wings, level the nose to the horizon, and apply power

Unusual attitude recovery while disoriented was one of the first flight lessons I ever had, and was constantly reviewed in every lesson I've had over the years, and it's been on every checkride I've taken so far. Every time I see the Colgan 3407 animation from the data recorders, I am just...floored. Pitching up to 30 degrees, full control deflections each way, full aileron one direction and full rudder completely opposite direction. I have to wonder if the nose ever would have leveled had the stick pusher not assisted.

Something like this should be instinctual. This wasn't an unforeseeable even like ValuJet 592 (where they didn't realize they were on fire, or know what the cause was). This wasn't the bizarre hijacking attempt of FedEx 705 (an ex-military pilot putting a fully-loaded DC10 through dogfighting maneuvers to subdue an assailant, all while wounded). This was a run-of-the-mill flight on a run-of-the-mill night, and should have been Private Pilot 101.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.