Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to DL Reserve AMEX, effect on MQM boosts/certificate timing etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading to DL Reserve AMEX, effect on MQM boosts/certificate timing etc

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
They may not let you do that. I tried changing my free Hilton card one time to another product (can't remember if it was a Delta Am Ex or SPG) and the wouldn't allow me. You should just sign up for a new credit card so you can get the HH bonus points.

I thought about just opening up a Delta reserve card next year if I need the MQM's then and getting the 30K mqms and the signup bonus but am scared about getting a low credit line since I have so many Am Ex cards.
Downgrading to HHonors was actually the suggestion of the Amex rep because I didn't want to close out my Plat (a hit on my credit score) and I wanted a non-fee card since I would have the reserve. We'll see how it goes...
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
I have done this many many times. Here's how it works:

Platinum--> Reserve with under 25,000 in YTD spend (no platinum boost earned):

Your YTD spending will 100% carry over for you to potentially earn the 30k/60k Reserve bonuses.

So, if my YTD Platinum spending is 24k and I upgrade, I will get one of the 15,000 Reserve MQM boosts with 6k and 36k more in spending. (Your new thresholds are at 30k/60k, not 25k/50k)

In this scenario, you are only eligible YTD for the two reserve 15k MQM bonuses for a total of 30k MQMs.

Platinum---> Reserve with over 25,000 but under 50,000 in YTD spend (One 10k MQM Platinum boost earned)

100% of the spend over the 25k will carry over to meet the two Reserve boosts that you're now eligible for.

So, if my YTD Platinum spending is 26k, my cycle has closed ensuring that I received the 10k MQM boost, and I upgrade, I will get one of the 15,000 MQM Reserve boosts if I can reach an additional 29,000 and 59,000 in spending.

In this scenario, you have already earned one of the platinum 10k MQM boosts, and you could earn two of the Reserve boosts. This would make your maximum YTD MQM earning potential, 40k MQMs.

Platinum---> Reserve with over 50k in spending (Both 10k MQM Platinum boosts earned)

So, if my YTD Platinum spending is 51k, my cycle has closed ensuring that I received the second 10k MQM boost, and I upgrade, I will get one of the 15,000 MQM Reserve boosts if I can reach an additional 29,000 and 59,000 in spending.

In this scenario, you have already earned both of the platinum 10k MQM boosts, and you could earn two of the Reserve boosts. This would make your maximum YTD MQM earning potential, 50k MQMs.

FWIW, the reverse is not true. Meaning if you downgrade from Reserve to Platinum, you don't get the opportunity to double dip. I am a long term holder of both a personal and a business delta card, so I play this precise game of making sure that both of my cards are platinum at the beginning of the year. I make both thresholds on both platinum cards (40k MQMs), then I upgrade 1 card make the reserve card thresholds (30k MQMs) and move it back to platinum while simultaneously upgrading the other. I make its two reserve boost thresholds (30k MQMs) and down grade it before the end of the year. So, without stepping foot on a plane, I have 100k MQMs.

Hope that helps!
This is incredibly helpful, even though I'm not the original poster.

How do you downgrade to Platinum before the beginning of the year? I assume a phone call will suffice, but I've never done it so if you don't mind reassuring me, I'd appreciate it.

More importantly, does AMEX give you new card numbers when you downgrade/upgrade or will they let you keep the same account numbers each time?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by GatorBlues

How do you downgrade to Platinum before the beginning of the year? I assume a phone call will suffice, but I've never done it so if you don't mind reassuring me, I'd appreciate it.

More importantly, does AMEX give you new card numbers when you downgrade/upgrade or will they let you keep the same account numbers each time?
I'm also wondering if you can do it more than one time. Can I upgrade to the reserve and get the boost and then downgrade mid Dec and after I get the MQM spend in (I can usually manage the $50K spend by 1/31) can I then upgrade to the reserve and then downgrade again before the end of the year? Also wondering how it works with the annual fee, do they prorate it or charge the reserve fee the entire year and if the poster had any issues getting the companion certificate from doing this.

The card number will probably stay the same. Whenever I have upgraded or downgraded an Am Ex product the card number has stayed the same.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by CAETravlr
So basically, it isn't worth it to upgrade from the Platinum to the Reserve card until the first of 2016 if you have already gotten all of your bonuses from the Platinum card and you don't have any flights scheduled where the upgrade priority might help you?
That's prob true -if no flights rest of the year and the extra boost won't change your elite level where you can get extra miles. In my case I will get to diamond before my next intl flight Dec because of the 15 k boost v soon so it's the 2 choice benefits I'm after - global upgrade certificate and 20k miles plus the extra miles given to a diamond.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by GatorBlues

:-)

A phone call is all it takes. The account stays exactly the same. The card numbers don't change, but they will send you a platinum one to replace the reserve. The number itself is the same, but the four digit code will change. I continued using my reserve post downgrade without any issues.

They also prorate the annual fees so, you'll basically get 1/12 of the annual fee for each month remaining in your year refunded to you if you go reserve--> platinum. The platinum annual fee will be charge on your anniversary date.

The only draw back to this is that you forego getting a reserve companion certificate. You'll only get a platinum one. For me, I have never purchased the companion certificate in first class, so it doesn't make a difference. One trick you can do is figure out when your account anniversary date is. You receive the certificate corresponding to the card you hold when the annual fee is charged. It gets pushed to your delta account and amex has nothing left to do with it. So, if you had an early-in-the-year anniversary date, you could keep the card reserve, wait until the reserve certificate posts, then downgrade to platinum. (And do this before you reach 25k in spending!) It might cost you a month or two of the higher annual fee, but it's up to you to figure out if the first class certificate is worth it.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:32 am

I'm also wondering if you can do it more than one time. Can I upgrade to the reserve and get the boost and then downgrade mid Dec and after I get the MQM spend in (I can usually manage the $50K spend by 1/31) can I then upgrade to the reserve and then downgrade again before the end of the year? Also wondering how it works with the annual fee, do they prorate it or charge the reserve fee the entire year and if the poster had any issues getting the companion certificate from doing this.

The card number will probably stay the same. Whenever I have upgraded or downgraded an Am Ex product the card number has stayed the same.
You can move around as you please, but can only double dip on bonuses in the upward direction. That means that you can earn platinum bonuses and then upgrade to earn reserve bonuses. If you earn your reserve bonuses and then downgrade to platinum, you will not be eligible for platinum bonuses. I guess they reward you for forking over the higher annual fee.

Again, your annual fee is charged with your first cycle of your amex year. You're basically prepaying $450 for 12 months. So, if you downgrade, you'll get 1/12th of $450 per month remaining in that year credited back. They then charge you for a prorated annual fee for the new card. Example:

Say I have the reserve in hand and I'm six months into my Amex year. I call and downgrade. I will receive a credit for $225 (6 months x $37.50). Simultaneously, I will be charged $97.50 (6 months x $16.25). On my account anniversary, I'll be charged $195 again.

Playing this game won't affect getting a companion certificate. It will however affect which one is given to you. (for Y or F).
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Dudewheresmyplane
Downgrading to HHonors was actually the suggestion of the Amex rep because I didn't want to close out my Plat (a hit on my credit score) and I wanted a non-fee card since I would have the reserve. We'll see how it goes...
I was under the impression that this would be a change in the family of card and thus would require a different account. I'm not sure.

FWIW, closing a credit card does not necessarily have an effect on your credit score. It obviously affects the ratios of available credit/spending, any positive credit history, and your overall credit exposure.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by sethb
If you're already received the 10,000 MQMs for spending $25K, you'll more likely get another 5,000 MQMs for reaching the next threshold.
This is not true.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by CAETravlr
So basically, it isn't worth it to upgrade from the Platinum to the Reserve card until the first of 2016 if you have already gotten all of your bonuses from the Platinum card and you don't have any flights scheduled where the upgrade priority might help you?
If you already hold the platinum card and you can make $110k in annual spend, you should hands down wait until you get the two platinum boosts then upgrade. This will save you money on the annual fee and you'll be able to earn 20k more MQMs.

The only draw back is foregoing club access. The reserve card tie-breaker advantage is so minimal, I can't imagine how often it makes the difference in receiving an upgrade. I'd certainly value access to the MQMs for that slim chance of needing to battle head on with another medallion in my fare class.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was under the impression that this would be a change in the family of card and thus would require a different account. I'm not sure.

FWIW, closing a credit card does not necessarily have an effect on your credit score. It obviously affects the ratios of available credit/spending, any positive credit history, and your overall credit exposure.
It usually has a negative effect on the average length of time you've held credit cards, but AmEx seems to grandfather in the date of your first card.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you already hold the platinum card and you can make $110k in annual spend, you should hands down wait until you get the two platinum boosts then upgrade. This will save you money on the annual fee and you'll be able to earn 20k more MQMs.

The only draw back is foregoing club access. The reserve card tie-breaker advantage is so minimal, I can't imagine how often it makes the difference in receiving an upgrade. I'd certainly value access to the MQMs for that slim chance of needing to battle head on with another medallion in my fare class.
True. The higher elite level is much more important for upgrade priority than having the Reserve card as a tiebreaker.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
You can move around as you please, but can only double dip on bonuses in the upward direction. That means that you can earn platinum bonuses and then upgrade to earn reserve bonuses. If you earn your reserve bonuses and then downgrade to platinum, you will not be eligible for platinum bonuses. I guess they reward you for forking over the higher annual fee.

Again, your annual fee is charged with your first cycle of your amex year. You're basically prepaying $450 for 12 months. So, if you downgrade, you'll get 1/12th of $450 per month remaining in that year credited back. They then charge you for a prorated annual fee for the new card. Example:

Say I have the reserve in hand and I'm six months into my Amex year. I call and downgrade. I will receive a credit for $225 (6 months x $37.50). Simultaneously, I will be charged $97.50 (6 months x $16.25). On my account anniversary, I'll be charged $195 again.

Playing this game won't affect getting a companion certificate. It will however affect which one is given to you. (for Y or F).
Thanks! I'll have to try it next year. I have both a Business and Personal Am Ex so it would be a cheap way to get 100K mqm's a year if I changed between cards every year, beats doing a mileage run if I need the MQMs (I could easily do it with just one card). The SC access is a useless benefit to me since I get it free as a diamond anyway.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:56 am

The $450 fee will be charged the month of switch and the $195 prorated. And yes the card number stays the same.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks guys for all of the explanations. I am still a little confused, so I will make my situation a little clearer. I have spent about $62K on my platinum card so far this year, but am unsure whether or not I will spend another 18 - 19k. It will be close. I am Platinum for 2016 teetering on the edge of Diamond, so any additional MQMs would be a very good thing. Would I already get an additional 10K MQMs since my spending threshold has already crossed? Would I get a more valuable companion cert on my next anniversary?

The other benefit that I was hoping to derive was the slightly higher upgrade status, but it sounds like it is more of a tie breaker than a priority boost. The situation that made me really think about that benefit hard was when I was number 8 on the list for 7 upgrades last week. It sounds like it might not have been the thing that got me over the hump, but I guess we would need a bit more information to know for sure.

I don't mind going for the upgrade if I can get the additional MQMs this year.

Another reason that I was considering upgrading next year is that I would like to get Mrs. CAETravlr a Reserve card attached to the same account (she already has the platinum along with me) so she could get into the SkyClub without paying an additional fee when traveling. But again, that probably won't matter until next year as she won't have any travel plans that arent in international Biz until next year.

Last edited by CAETravlr; Oct 27, 2015 at 11:06 am Reason: Additional info...
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
CAETravlr, how many miles do you need to make DM? Might help determine what your options are. The cards can be a quick bonus but if you've already gotten your signup bonus and you don't think you'll meet additional spending thresholds, then personally I would be either looking for a MR or else planning for how to make DM next year with my rollover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.