Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Would you book a miserable flight on a cheap price and wait for a schedule change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you book a miserable flight on a cheap price and wait for a schedule change?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

Need to fly from Sacramento to Charleston South Carolina next summer in August. Right now on my desired dates I can buy for $290 however it involves connections in both SLC and ATL and a redeye from SLC to ATL. I don't mind the redeye in fact I would like to get the direct Sacramento to Atlanta redeye however the price right now is significantly higher ($490) for that combo. I'm thinking if I buy it now eventually there'll be a schedule change and I can certainly get that one stop for no extra cost. Thoughts?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Need to fly from Sacramento to Charleston South Carolina next summer in August. Right now on my desired dates I can buy for $290 however it involves connections in both SLC and ATL and a redeye from SLC to ATL. I don't mind the redeye in fact I would like to get the direct Sacramento to Atlanta redeye however the price right now is significantly higher ($490) for that combo. I'm thinking if I buy it now eventually there'll be a schedule change and I can certainly get that one stop for no extra cost. Thoughts?
Go for it! As long as you are willing to fly the original schedule if there is no opportunity to make a change.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:46 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I can only speak as a DM, but, PMs seem to get nearly similar treatment, when I say that, you'll likely be allowed a fairly liberal schedule adjustment - when, NOT IF - there's a schedule change. What if you need to change the dates or canx all together?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
I would certainly go for it, but how tight are the connections as they stand? I ask this only because this is the kind of itinerary that's less likely than most to have a large enough schedule adjustment to automatically trigger a free change. The SLC banks tend to be pretty locked in schedules year-round, the SLC-ATL redeyes tend to be around the same time, and the morning banks in ATL tend to connect from the redeyes pretty well year-round.

As mentioned, though, you may well get a greater ability to make changes as a PM. You might be able to talk your way into it because of changes in aircraft type, slight schedule adjustments, etc.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:18 pm

I would
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
My experience is that on cash tickets (as opposed to mileage award tickets) they are a little more strict about rebooking. They follow the rules pretty closely as far as minimum disruption time for a free change. I don't think I'd risk a domestic flight like that if I would be dreading the double stop when I just wanted to sleep.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:28 am

Programs: DL DM
Definitely go for it. I've done this many times and usually even had an agent suggest a more direct route when calling in re the schedule change. I've found it easier to get them to do this on standard booked tickets (cash) vs. mileage award tickets as the mileage ticket can require another department to open up award inventory at the originally priced mileage level. I'd say snag the $290 with the two connections and check your itinerary once a week until a schedule change happens.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
I wouldn't count on it, but then again I'm so risk averse I'd rather not have to choose heads or tails on a coin toss.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by steex
... this is the kind of itinerary that's less likely than most to have a large enough schedule adjustment to automatically trigger a free change. The SLC banks tend to be pretty locked in schedules year-round, the SLC-ATL redeyes tend to be around the same time, and the morning banks in ATL tend to connect from the redeyes pretty well year-round.
how do the fares compare if routing over LAX? and how high are the G/A/P fares?

Originally Posted by steex
... You might be able to talk your way into it because of changes in aircraft type, slight schedule adjustments, etc.
SMF-SLC could in fact go from mainline to a CR7/CR9 which would be a change of operating carrier; not sure if any ATL-CHS trips are occasionally farmed out to the DL Connection affiliates
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The OP needs a schedule change of more than 90 minutes by the C of C to get flexibility in rebooking (or right to cancel). He is unlikely to get that on ATL-CHS which is both frequent (ten times or more on weekdays) and 100% mainline.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I've had 100% success as a PM in rebooking due to a carrier change (Mainline to commuter). That includes routing changes. The same with connections going below MCT, even by a minute.

The key thing is that you're willing to fly the as booked route.

If you do it (and I would), check for schedule changes monthly until April and then weekly, on Monday mornings) from then on.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
OP here, lots of excellent input...thanks! the trip dates are locked in for a wedding, so unless the engagement falls apart before then...

the flights i am considering have >2 hour layovers, so the point about changes not necessarily breaking the ticket is a good one. the SMF-SLC segment is already CR700.

i'll have to think about this a little more today. i can also get SFO-CHS for a cheap price, and get the more desirable one stop itineraries from the get-go. however, going to SFO airport is significantly more annoying. i won't be PM next year, but i will be GM nominated via my dad's DM status.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I've had 100% success as a PM in rebooking due to a carrier change (Mainline to commuter). That includes routing changes. The same with connections going below MCT, even by a minute.

The key thing is that you're willing to fly the as booked route.

If you do it (and I would), check for schedule changes monthly until April and then weekly, on Monday mornings) from then on.
You should have 100% success since a change of carrier from mainline to DL Connection is a situation where DOT regulations say that you can change or cancel for free.

Similarly, if an itinerary violates MCT by any amount, it must be rebooked or you can cancel the ticket for free.

BTW, I check for schedule changes on Saturdays.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:08 am
Suspended

Or book a flight that is prone to overbooking. Be the first to walk up to the desk when they are looking for volunteers.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You should have 100% success since a change of carrier from mainline to DL Connection is a situation where DOT regulations say that you can change or cancel for free.

Similarly, if an itinerary violates MCT by any amount, it must be rebooked or you can cancel the ticket for free.

BTW, I check for schedule changes on Saturdays.
I consistently find that the schedule changes aren't completed until late Sunday. This past weekend, my final 2 changes didn't appear until after 10 PM EDT Sunday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.