Wiki Posts
Search

MIA: DL Domestic to AA International

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
MIA: DL Domestic to AA International

Will be flying DL to MIA with my daughter's cat. My daughter will be flying AA from PHL to MIA, and from there to LIM, also on AA. I need to make a cat transfer to her. Need some suggestions from you experienced FTers as to the best way to accomplish this. She has only about 1.5 hours connection time in MIA.

I have no first-hand experience with this airport. I can see from a terminal map that I'll be coming in to Terminal D and AA is in H. Will I have to exit security to get over to H? If not, then I imagine this will be easy. If I do have to exit security, then it is going to be tricky. I suppose she could exit security and meet me near AA security, then go back in. I won't have a BP for AA, so I would not be able to go in and meet her at her arrival or departure gate, unless AA gave me a gate pass (which is uncertain). I hate to buy a ticket just to go through AA security, then cancel it on the other side (did this once with DL--only once--and I suppose I could do it with AA if absolutely necessary).

Suggestions anyone?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:05 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
nvm ...
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:22 am

Don't tell me you are considering using my help to get to the gate!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd get plan to get to MIA very early and meet her at the gate. Your best bet might be to buy a fully refundable ticket that allows lounge access during the wait and then even gives you a guest if there's time before deughter's departure.

IMO she should have arranged a longer connecting time for the cat transfer, but I assume it would be very expensive to change here ticket. Could she perhaps attempt to do the AA equivalent of SDC/SDS to an earlier flight if AA allows this on international itineraries, even for a small fee?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd get plan to get to MIA very early and meet her at the gate. Your best bet might be to buy a fully refundable ticket that allows lounge access during the wait and then even gives you a guest if there's time before deughter's departure.

IMO she should have arranged a longer connecting time for the cat transfer, but I assume it would be very expensive to change here ticket. Could she perhaps attempt to do the AA equivalent of SDC/SDS to an earlier flight if AA allows this on international itineraries, even for a small fee?
It's a government ticket and they were not cooperative in making things work for us. DL via ATL would have worked much better. But since it is what it is, I think we can do this satisfactorily if I can get to her gate. I can certainly do the refundable ticket thing to get through security if necessary. I guess what I am concluding is that I must exit security to get from DL to AA, and then go back in.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To repeat, allow lots of time for this, including possible delays on your flight.

I assume that she's already checked airline and animal import rules for taking the cat to her destination.

Also, don't forget to book the cat on your reservation too. The number of cabin pets per flight is strictly limited. On some aircraft, they must be in coach.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

To repeat, allow lots of time for this, including possible delays on your flight.

I assume that she's already checked airline and animal import rules for taking the cat to her destination.

Also, don't forget to book the cat on your reservation too. The number of cabin pets per flight is strictly limited. On some aircraft, they must be in coach.
YES!
I am flying to MIA the day before to give the cat a rest before the long flight to LIM. That will also assure that I won't have a delay that might mess things up. My return flight is scheduled for well after her departure.

I'll have to work out the process for getting through security at AA. It seems reasonable that they would give me a gate pass if they understand what is going on, but I may use the refundable ticket technique just to make sure. From the airport map, it looks like it is not possible to get from DL to AA without exiting security, so my return BP on DL is not likely to be helpful in that regard.

The import rules for Peru are rather strict with narrow windows of time for physical exam and USDA APHIS certificate. We have that covered. Cat is booked on my PNR to MIA and also on my daughter's to LIM.

Looks like daughter's connection time is closer to 2.5 hours. I think we should be OK.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:54 pm

In some airports, a boarding pass to depart that day from the same airport allows you to go through TSA security into any area. If MIA has this policy, you wouldn't even need a gate pass from AA. I'm not sure whether they honor PreCheck in these cases.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TSA rules are and have been for 3+ years that if you have a valid BP for the station (airport) for the day, you may clear any checkpoint, even if it is for a terminal/concourse which does not service your ticketed flight. There are some limited exceptions, not applicable here.

The Officer at a checkpoint may suggest that you are at the "wrong" checkpoint because most people who show up with other carriers' BP's are at the wrong checkpoint. But, that is a caution, not a "no". Just smile, say I know or explain as the spirit moves you, and proceed.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by DLFan2
YES!
I am flying to MIA the day before to give the cat a rest before the long flight to LIM. That will also assure that I won't have a delay that might mess things up. My return flight is scheduled for well after her departure.

I'll have to work out the process for getting through security at AA. It seems reasonable that they would give me a gate pass if they understand what is going on, but I may use the refundable ticket technique just to make sure. From the airport map, it looks like it is not possible to get from DL to AA without exiting security, so my return BP on DL is not likely to be helpful in that regard.

The import rules for Peru are rather strict with narrow windows of time for physical exam and USDA APHIS certificate. We have that covered. Cat is booked on my PNR to MIA and also on my daughter's to LIM.

Looks like daughter's connection time is closer to 2.5 hours. I think we should be OK.
That sounds like you have one pampered kitty and perhaps a nicely spoiled daughter too....or maybe you just like cats and this one in particular. Doing a hotel night so that the cat can rest thoroughly before the flight is amazing. However, what happens if the cat doesn't respond well to a new environment and wants to race around the room all night?

Is the cat used to a leash for TSA security? (You can't send cat through the X-ray machine with its carrier.)
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

That sounds like you have one pampered kitty and perhaps a nicely spoiled daughter too....or maybe you just like cats and this one in particular. Doing a hotel night so that the cat can rest thoroughly before the flight is amazing. However, what happens if the cat doesn't respond well to a new environment and wants to race around the room all night?

Is the cat used to a leash for TSA security? (You can't send cat through the X-ray machine with its carrier.)
Maybe both are a little spoiled But she pays his expenses for the most part.

Because of military deployments and commitments, daughter and cat have been separated from each other quite a bit for several years. The cat has traveled in cabin and as cargo several times, including HNL-ATL, VPS-HNL, LAX-VPS, HNL-OAK, SFO-HNL, and numerous long car trips. He has done well in strange locations. But he is getting close to 11 years old and has chronic kidney disease. But he is special to her, so I am going to pamper them both at least this time.

Usually wears a dog harness with a leash when traveling in the car or in cabin. I have carried him through the TSA metal detector a couple of times without incident, but it is nice to have the added security of the harness.

I appreciate the information about the TSA rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.