Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add MSP?FCO and DTW/MUC for summer

Old Oct 3, 15, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond

A little birdie told me to check the schedules today for these, and sure enough they are in there. Both look like they start on May 26, 2016.

MSP-FCO will be on a 76Z

DTW-MUC will be on a 76D

Lots of new transatlantic flights next year. CDG-RDU, JFK-EDI, LHR-SLC and now these two. There are also extra JFK-TLV and JFK-KEF flights
Old Oct 3, 15, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Every1 Get A Life View Post
A little birdie told me to check the schedules today for these, and sure enough they are in there. Both look like they start on May 26, 2016.

MSP-FCO will be on a 76Z

DTW-MUC will be on a 76D

Lots of new transatlantic flights next year. CDG-RDU, JFK-EDI, LHR-SLC and now these two. There are also extra JFK-TLV and JFK-KEF flights
The MSP-FCO route was almost launched this summer, according to comments made at a MAC commission meeting this past winter. They didn't say the destination, just that Delta had agreed to launch an additional trans-Atlantic route, but requested a delay of one summer so it could have more time for marketing a promotion.

It was pretty obvious, however, that it was either FCO or FRA. FCO is a great jumping off point for southern Europe. While I'd still love to see a flight to PVG from MSP, I'm thrilled to add FCO to the roster. Summer seasonal, I assume, just like DTW.
Old Oct 3, 15, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO FCO is an odd choice for MSP. It's not a big O&D market and future partner status with AZ might become an issue as AZ gets closer to the ME3, which are not connections that DL would want to encourage for its passengers.

Personally if I were going to any place not within easy train or driving distance of FCO, this is one of the last European airports I would voluntarily choose for onward connections. It's a big mess, even without fire damage to a terminal. Moreover domestic AZ flights are coach only while DL upgrade instruments cannot be used for AZ connections through FCO (versus KLM connections through AMS).
Old Oct 3, 15, 11:22 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
IMO FCO is an odd choice for MSP. It's not a big O&D market and future partner status with AZ might become an issue as AZ gets closer to the ME3, which are not connections that DL would want to encourage for its passengers.

Personally if I were going to any place not within easy train or driving distance of FCO, this is one of the last European airports I would voluntarily choose for onward connections. It's a big mess, even without fire damage to a terminal. Moreover domestic AZ flights are coach only while DL upgrade instruments cannot be used for AZ connections through FCO (versus KLM connections through AMS).
In the summer, I would wager to guess Rome is one of the Top 3 destinations in Europe.

Not only that, but a fair amount of cruise traffic as well.
Old Oct 3, 15, 11:32 am

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
No PDX-CDG??
Old Oct 3, 15, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
DL needs more own-metal TATL flying to meet the share percentages specified in the pilots' contract - unless DL can get AZ/KL/AF to make unilateral cuts. Riigghht. So, with the obvious city pairs mostly covered it's up to DL to try some of the less obvious. FCO from any DL hub can be filled 4-5 days a week from ~Easter to the end of cruise season, and daily over U.S. K-12 school break. Yields don't need to be great - pilots need to be contented.
Old Oct 3, 15, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by MSPGabe View Post
In the summer, I would wager to guess Rome is one of the Top 3 destinations in Europe.

Not only that, but a fair amount of cruise traffic as well.
Not sure of Rome's exact placement among cities, but most rankings of foreign destinations for US travelers have Italy as the third most popular destination in Europe, after the UK and France. Given that both are served ex-MSP, Italy is the obvious next choice.
Old Oct 3, 15, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

Italy is incredibly popular with American tourists and this route is simply reflective of that. All this talk about connections is missing the forest for the trees.
Old Oct 3, 15, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
As of 2011, FCO was the third largest international destination not served by Delta, behind FRA and PVG. I haven't seen more recent data, but FCO and PVG were climbing, while FRA was sinking. With a SkyTeam hub in FCO, I wouldn't be at all surprised if FCO is higher yielding than FRA. As for PVG, I doubt Delta has the available equipment for that route. And it's still bolstering LAX-PVG as well.
Old Oct 3, 15, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Are these seasonal or all year? If the latter I think it will be very hard as both MSP and DTW have less than 400 daily flights. FCO may work better due to the Alitalia hub. I don't see DTW-MUC sticking around.
Old Oct 3, 15, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by jjka View Post
No PDX-CDG??
No, not yet. Give it a chance.
Old Oct 3, 15, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
This is fantastic, as I fly on biz to Italy all the time. I only wish the flight was better timed to make the morning bank of connections at FCO. With AF cutting CDG-VRN, I was looking at moving these flights to LH/UA, but will again have one-stop service.
Old Oct 3, 15, 1:32 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a free agent
Originally Posted by jjka View Post
No PDX-CDG??
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
No, not yet. Give it a chance.
If they added PDX-CDG, I would hope they would do it at a different time than the crappy timing for SEA-CDG.

I frequently fly CDG-SEA. But rarely take the nonstop on the return. For the return, I prefer SEA-AMS-CDG (with the 6pm departure in the Summer when there are 2x daily AMS) or SEA-LHR-CDG (in the winter with the 7pm departure, because the only AMS departure is early afternoon).

SEA-CDG departs too early to get much work done in Seattle that day. I'm unable to sleep on the flight and show up in Paris early in the morning, exhausted and unable to think coherently.

The late afternoon departures (6pm to AMS, 7pm to LHR) allow me to get almost a full day of work in SEA, sleep on the flight and get in to Paris at a reasonable time - run a couple errands, go home, have dinner, go to bed and be ready to face the world the next day.

7PM PDX-CDG would work nicely for me. Take a 5pm SEA-PDX then connect to a 7pm PDX-CDG, getting into CDG at 2pm the next day.

Last edited by SEA-Flyer; Oct 3, 15 at 1:42 pm
Old Oct 3, 15, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL PLAT, IC AMB
Great! One less destination I need ATL for!
Old Oct 5, 15, 9:13 am

It's official

http://www.wset.com/story/30187030/d...apolis-st-paul

http://www.freep.com/story/travel/20...ghts/73372322/

Nice add for DL and the Midwest especially to FCO. One more option for not having to take AZ!

Last edited by Canarsie; Oct 13, 15 at 2:10 am Reason: Consolidation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: