Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add MSP?FCO and DTW/MUC for summer

Delta to add MSP?FCO and DTW/MUC for summer

Old Oct 5, 15, 2:25 pm
Used to be 'jwienner'

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
DTW-MUC... Sounds like a flight made for Bosch/Auto industry. Just like SFO-ZUR is the pharma express.
Old Oct 5, 15, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yep, but MSP-FCO is what? Tour groups to see the Pope and eat pasta? This doesn't seem like it would be a high yield route as there aren't a lot of obvious customers for business travel.
Old Oct 5, 15, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Yep, but MSP-FCO is what? Tour groups to see the Pope and eat pasta? This doesn't seem like it would be a high yield route as there aren't a lot of obvious customers for business travel.
I think it will last longer than DTW-MUC. At least with MSP-FCO there is a Skyteam hub at both ends.
Old Oct 5, 15, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
I think it will last longer than DTW-MUC.
Not sure what makes you so skeptical of DTW-MUC. The auto market is HUGE. Germany is by far Michigan's largest EU trade partner. I expect the premium cabin to make this flight profitable.

That said, it could also be a preemptive move to discourage LH from adding the route.

There's no business market in FCO. There is a high-end leisure market, but no doubt this route is being added for volume between the central/upper states and Italy for tourist traffic. I expect the route will be seasonal.

Last edited by cptlflyer; Oct 5, 15 at 8:44 pm Reason: Added second reply
Old Oct 5, 15, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cptlflyer View Post
Not sure what makes you so skeptical of DTW-MUC. The auto market is HUGE. Germany is by far Michigan's largest EU trade partner. I expect the premium cabin to make this flight profitable.

That said, it could also be a preemptive move to discourage LH from adding the route.
NWA couldn't even fill a 757 to DUS. And the DTW hub was larger then. As someone else mentioned, this is just a shot in the dark to keep the pilot contract compliant with the joint venture with EU partners.
Old Oct 5, 15, 9:25 pm

NWA couldn't even fill a 757 to DUS. And the DTW hub was larger then. As someone else mentioned, this is just a shot in the dark to keep the pilot contract compliant with the joint venture with EU partners.
The auto market isn't in DUS. Plus, NWA had nowhere near the market share that SkyTeam has now over the Atlantic. The market dynamics when NWA added DUS and BRU for one summer were completely different. Apples and oranges.

You also have to consider DL's marketing strategy, which has been discussed here in detail, but in short relies on its corporate contracts to win big chunks of business rather than going after the masses. I wouldn't be surprised at all of this new route was part of commercial account negotiations.
Old Oct 6, 15, 6:44 am

DUS isn't MUC. Not only does MUC have more than twice as many people than DUS, the auto industry is largely in the south. Sure, Ford is on CGN, but Bosch, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, MAN, and every major automotive supplier have large operations in southern Germany.
Additionally US tourism to Germany is centered in Berlin and Munich [make a triangle between Dachau, Berchtesgaden, and Neuschwanstein].

Last edited by WhiskeyBravo; Oct 6, 15 at 6:49 am
Old Oct 6, 15, 7:04 am

It may not be a huge business market but it is a popular destination in the summer. Plus maybe DL is testing some routes for life after AZ leaves Skyteam and becomes a full time feeder slave to EY

Not that AZ will be a big loss but there will probably need to be some additional lift to Italy on DL metal.
Old Oct 6, 15, 7:18 am

Programs: DL PM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
I miss ATL-CPH/ARN.

They could at least add a seasonal JFK-OSL...
Old Oct 6, 15, 8:42 am

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I see great award space on DTW-MUC with 9 seats available in J on weekdays next Summer, but I see terrible reviews of the 767 D1 seat. Is it really that bad? I just want to get some decent rest so I don't start vacation exhausted.
Old Oct 6, 15, 9:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
I see great award space on DTW-MUC with 9 seats available in J on weekdays next Summer, but I see terrible reviews of the 767 D1 seat. Is it really that bad? I just want to get some decent rest so I don't start vacation exhausted.
Of all the DL wide body aircraft, I find the 767 D1 seat much worse than the others. It's a genuine flat bed, but the others feel more like private suites but without doors.
Old Oct 6, 15, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Every1 Get A Life View Post
Lots of new transatlantic flights next year. CDG-RDU, JFK-EDI, LHR-SLC and now these two. There are also extra JFK-TLV and JFK-KEF flights
Capacity explosion. I also know that *A is planning to dump extra capacity on TATL routes.
Does this mean fares will come down big?
Old Oct 6, 15, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer View Post
Capacity explosion. I also know that *A is planning to dump extra capacity on TATL routes.
Does this mean fares will come down big?
That would be nice.

Still, I expect DL to cherry-pick the high yield business routes rather than add leisure routes, although the seasonal NCE nonstop is primarily leisure and is very high yield.
Old Oct 6, 15, 10:47 am
Suspended

...although the seasonal NCE nonstop is primarily leisure and is very high yield.
Oh really? Have a look at JFK-NCE in J, 11/25-11/30. You tell me how high yield it is.
Old Oct 6, 15, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer View Post
Oh really? Have a look at JFK-NCE in J, 11/25-11/30. You tell me how high yield it is.
That's Thanksgiving, not typically a high demand international time.

Look at 12/2 - 12/7 for a radically different price pont.

~$3,500 vs ~$6,800

Search this Thread
Search Engine: