Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

DFW to HKG

Dec 20th 2015
DFW to LAX 0820-1005
LAX to NRT 1050-1545 next day
NRT to HKG 1720-2140

The first flight is on E175. Does E175 by Compass have lots of mechanical failure? Is it too tight?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The E175 is IMO a great regional plane. It's not to small and has room for OH storage. DL and it's regional have very low/non existent cancelation of flights. No more likely to happen on DL regional then on DL mainline.

If you're used to flying regional on say UA the experience on DL Connection carriers will blow you away.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
OP. I think you're mostly asking if the time feels tight for the connection and I can say that for me, YES it does. Just think of it like this, the connecting flight will be boarding just as you land in LAX so ANY delay is tough and we all know that LA airspace can be congested so a delay is quite possible. While I know we all don't make decisions the same way - and I've checked the schedule that day - why don't you just buy a LA-HKG ticket and then book yourself on an earlier flight on, say, AA from DFW- LAX. while not ideal, I'm sure, but at least doing so gives yourself a bit of a cushion.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
While I know we all don't make decisions the same way - and I've checked the schedule that day - why don't you just buy a LA-HKG ticket and then book yourself on an earlier flight on, say, AA from DFW- LAX. while not ideal, I'm sure, but at least doing so gives yourself a bit of a cushion.
The OP, if ticketed as proposed, gets single-ticket IROPS protection and a uniform international baggage allowance. You're inviting the hassles of separate tickets.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
OP. I think you're mostly asking if the time feels tight for the connection and I can say that for me, YES it does. Just think of it like this, the connecting flight will be boarding just as you land in LAX so ANY delay is tough and we all know that LA airspace can be congested so a delay is quite possible. While I know we all don't make decisions the same way - and I've checked the schedule that day - why don't you just buy a LA-HKG ticket and then book yourself on an earlier flight on, say, AA from DFW- LAX. while not ideal, I'm sure, but at least doing so gives yourself a bit of a cushion.
Very bad idea. Now if there's an IRROPS issue the OP is out of luck getting g to HKG. As one ticket if he's delayed they still must get him to HKG. This could be via Skyteam partner KE, China (Eastern, Southern, or Airlines) via Seoul, Shanghi, Guangzhou, or Taipei. Plenty of partner options to get them to HKG.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:15 am

This might be the worst advice I've ever read on Flyertalk and that is saying something!
Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andrew Ying
Dec 20th 2015
DFW to LAX 0820-1005
LAX to NRT 1050-1545 next day
NRT to HKG 1720-2140

The first flight is on E175. Does E175 by Compass have lots of mechanical failure? Is it too tight?
Compass doesn't have lots of mechanical failures and you'll probably be ok as long as the weather cooperates at DFW.

That you're willing to ignore a daily DFW-HKG nonstop on AA and instead fly a tight connection via LAX and NRT tells me that airline loyalty is alive and well. That or the AA flight is expensive and the roundabout DL itinerary is cheap.

Not everybody values nonstop flights.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:53 pm
JBa

Programs: some
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Compass doesn't have lots of mechanical failures and you'll probably be ok as long as the weather cooperates at DFW.

That you're willing to ignore a daily DFW-HKG nonstop on AA and instead fly a tight connection via LAX and NRT tells me that airline loyalty is alive and well. That or the AA flight is expensive and the roundabout DL itinerary is cheap.

Not everybody values nonstop flights.
This.

Out of DFW it would have made more sense to use AA nonstop to HKG
Old Oct 4, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM (3 MM) ; Sky Club (Lifetime)
Suggestion

If you must (for whatever reason, e.g. scheduled meeting) or strongly desire (special seats, etc.) to be on the LAX departing flight, do yourself a favor and fly in the night before.
That cxn is really way "too close for comfort" especially on a route without frequent service.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

yes. The loyalty is still there. Well, original routing was DFW to SEA then SEA to HKG, but SEA and HKG is not operating on that date. And the new rule is pretty favorable. More importantly, AA does not have much option out of PVG which will be where I fly back. DTW from PVG is the shortest flight on the "east coast", based on the time zone. I am based in Baltimore. so none of the big three has hub here. As long as Southwest does not have flight to Asia, I will not step onto its aircrafts.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by Andrew Ying
yes. The loyalty is still there. Well, original routing was DFW to SEA then SEA to HKG, but SEA and HKG is not operating on that date. And the new rule is pretty favorable. More importantly, AA does not have much option out of PVG which will be where I fly back. DTW from PVG is the shortest flight on the "east coast", based on the time zone. I am based in Baltimore. so none of the big three has hub here. As long as Southwest does not have flight to Asia, I will not step onto its aircrafts.
Not sure I follow you. The daily flight on AA PVG-DFW isn't convenient enough (assuming return for where you started)?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
Not sure I follow you. The daily flight on AA PVG-DFW isn't convenient enough (assuming return for where you started)?
No. I just happen to be visiting my friends in Dallas area. We are traveling to HK and China together. But on the way back, I am flying back to Baltimore, MD. So the AA flight to DFW would not help. AA flight to Chicago would not help either, because ORD in winter is an airport I try to avoid. Actually, I try to avoid ORD year round. That's why I mentioned, the PVG-DTW flight, as it is the shortest to East coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.