The Definitive Lap Child Discussion

Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM or PM
The Definitive Lap Child Discussion

I just got four award tickets MSP-EWR.

We also have a lap child (<2 yrs) as 5th passenger, do I need to call Delta and tell them or just show up at the airport?

thanks

P.S. do people on this board think that the 100k miles I shelled for tickets that would have cost me $282 each were an ok deal? feeling buyer's remorse right now...

Last edited by bassi1973; Feb 3, 2010 at 8:51 pm
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Yes, you need to call Delta. It will make your check in easier.

Did you pay 100,000 miles for each ticket?
And was the total cost for four tickets $282?

Then no, I don't think it was worth it.

If it's 100,000 for 4 tickets that would have cost $1,128 then it might be worth it. Depends on your budget.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
Yes, you need to call Delta. It will make your check in easier.

Did you pay 100,000 miles for each ticket?
And was the total cost for four tickets $282?

Then no, I don't think it was worth it.

If it's 100,000 for 4 tickets that would have cost $1,128 then it might be worth it. Depends on your budget.
no, 100k miles/ticket I would definitely know it's not a very smart deal

25k miles/ticket (I think this is the lowest domestic redemption option)
and $282 was the price of each ticket incl. taxes. so not sure if I should be happy or not. Miles could be used on more expensive routes, I guess, question is if it's likely to find the lowest redemption option for 4 pax in that case
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:11 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by bassi1973

We also have a lap child (<2 yrs) as 5th passenger, do I need to call Delta and tell them or just show up at the airport?

thanks

P.S. do people on this board think that the 100k miles I shelled for tickets that would have cost me $282 each were an ok deal? feeling buyer's remorse right now...
If 100k for each, that's complete lack of value. If 100k for all, that's still a bit much, as I'd pay $1k for the tix, then do a TATL BE redemption (worth up to 10x that).

Then again, if you got 4x at low, on the same segment, that's rather impressive.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:04 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
I think the truth is this really becomes a personal decision and it's honestly based on the feeling of your "wallet" right now.

Sounds to me like you did ok. As is pointed out getting 4 tickets at the 25K level is pretty good!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:05 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
If your miles are sparse and you are saving for a dream trip then of course you don't spend 100K on these.

If your miles are plentiful...fine. I wouldn't spend miles for a sub-$300 ticket for myself (would rather have the qualifying miles) but for my family members - no prob. ^

(Personal cash flow is also a factor to be honest!!)
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
I think you did well. Sometimes there is something else you want to spend the $1k+ on so you'd be silly to deny yourself that (even if you're just saving it for a rainy day) when you could use miles that are getting harder and harder to use.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:10 am

thanks

Forget the lap child, but them a seat especially if the price is $282.00

The younger a child is introduced to their own seat the better for you and them, not to mention it is far safer.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium

thanks

You may call Delta to have "infant" added to your itinerary *or* you may do it at the airport. As suggested earlier, calling might be easier because it would save the hassle of needing to have your passes adjusted and re-printed at the airport. However, if you are checking bags anyway, then it might not be a big deal.

Anyone who tells you that your redemption is/isn't a good value is not being genuine. They may tell you if it would be a good deal for *them*, but they can't possibly tell if it is a good value for you. Cents per mile (CPM) is a commonly used metric to evaluate, but it has to be taken in context. For example, if you are on a tight budget, in a fairly high tax bracket, and don't need to take any other trips for the foreseeable future, your 1.1+ CPM redemption might represent a great value for you. However, if the 100K miles are about all you have, and if you know that you need to book a last-minute domestic itinerary for you and a business partner sometime later this month, you probably could use 90K of those miles to get a 2-3 CPM value instead. This would mean that you are probably better off paying for this trip and then redeeming for the later one.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by eireman
Forget the lap child, but them a seat especially if the price is $282.00

The younger a child is introduced to their own seat the better for you and them, not to mention it is far safer.
Ditto this statement for $282 I would buy the child a seat. You, the child, and your fellow passengers will all be much happier.

As for the value of 100k miles for $1100 worth of tickets. We just had the same choice and we bought the tickets. I typically hold out for 2-3cpm. But that is me, YMMV.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:42 am

You found four saver tickets on one flight! Congratulations, good call. Unless that flight is full, you might be able to get an open seat for your lap child, just make sure to place two of your party with a middle seat in between.

As for valuation, 1.1 is good, but people can occasionally get higher, for premium or international travel. The real score is getting 4 seats on one flight for only 100k.

Wow, I never realized how many people think that $282 is pocket change best thrown at Delta to avoid having to hold your infant for a 2 hr. flight. While the exact age wasn't mentioned by the OP, there is little point in having a seat for a newborn who can't really use it, except perhaps w/ a car seat. With four in your party, that makes it even easier, as presumably at least one will be be able to help.

Finally, I know FTers scan a lot of posts real quick, but come on, a little reading comprehension here. OP clearly said the seats would have been $282 EACH, and that he/she shelled 100K for the TICKETS. I can't believe so many who responded thought it could have been $282 for four tickets, or 100k per ticket

1. When does DL offer flights like that for $70 each?
2. When would DL offer domestic seats for 100k?, and don't say in F because we know there is no $282 seats in F.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JSteele
You found four saver tickets on one flight! Congratulations, good call. Unless that flight is full, you might be able to get an open seat for your lap child, just make sure to place two of your party with a middle seat in between.

As for valuation, 1.1 is good, but people can occasionally get higher, for premium or international travel. The real score is getting 4 seats on one flight for only 100k.

Wow, I never realized how many people think that $282 is pocket change best thrown at Delta to avoid having to hold your infant for a 2 hr. flight. While the exact age wasn't mentioned by the OP, there is little point in having a seat for a newborn who can't really use it, except perhaps w/ a car seat. With four in your party, that makes it even easier, as presumably at least one will be be able to help.

Finally, I know FTers scan a lot of posts real quick, but come on, a little reading comprehension here. OP clearly said the seats would have been $282 EACH, and that he/she shelled 100K for the TICKETS. I can't believe so many who responded thought it could have been $282 for four tickets, or 100k per ticket

2. When would DL offer domestic seats for 100k?, and don't say in F because we know there is no $282 seats in F.
I did evaluate the lap child situation carefully, and my assessment is that my son will be too young and restless to sit on his own with only the waist seatbelt, and too tall to sit on his car seat in coach without kicking the seat in from of him, so a ticket for him wouldn't be money well spent
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Two years ago, I would have said it was a bad redemption. Today, with how less in value a DL miles is worth, it's about par for the course.

If you were going to buy a seat, I would certainly do it for the person who had the highest status, and let the child ride in the free seat.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by JSteele
Oh, you'd be surprised what DL and NW have done in the past. I've seen East coast to West coasts flights for $99+, US-Europe for $110+, Biz from RT $550 South/North America.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 5:46 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
silver medallion lap child

If my friend nominates my 17 month old daughter..

she is going to make RT later this year as a lap child. I will check two bags.

can we get a bag fee waiver?

she will get her own seat, when she turns 2 next year. ----- (means she will not be eligible for a lap child next year)

The issue is. my friend will be able to nominate one person to silver medallion.

I and my wife want to keep adding miles on our KE FF program.

Thanks.

Last edited by poohhead80; Jul 30, 2010 at 8:07 am Reason: make it more clear

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.