Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting Most from Delta Dollars $$

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Getting Most from Delta Dollars $$

I recently scored $1,300 in Delta Dollars. I know that does not seem like much to some who are pros at this but it is for me. I am looking to maximizes the use of these $$ and take my wife on a trip. Do any of you have a tip for a search that would allow me to put in the departing airport and leave the destination open to find what might be available?

I have tried a couple of sites but they do not allow me to only search Delta flights.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:51 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT!

I really like http://flights.google.com. Leave the destination blank and you will see a map of available destinations with pricing. There is an option to specify airline or alliance too.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Make sure that the voucher that you got actually allows a ticket for your wife. Many are restricted to only the person in whose name the voucher is.

I like matrix.itasoftware.com. This site lets you specify the airline and whereabouts you would like to go.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PHXflier
Make sure that the voucher that you got actually allows a ticket for your wife. Many are restricted to only the person in whose name the voucher is.

I like matrix.itasoftware.com. This site lets you specify the airline and whereabouts you would like to go.
Can't a lot of vouchers be split between two people on the same PNR?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, some can be used that way, but this summer I received a high-value voucher for being bumped that could not be used for anyone but me.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PHXflier
Yes, some can be used that way, but this summer I received a high-value voucher for being bumped that could not be used for anyone but me.
You're lucky they didn't split it into a bunch of small vouchers that can't be combined.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:37 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
You're lucky they didn't split it into a bunch of small vouchers that can't be combined.
I have had some pretty large DBC that were never split ($1300 has been my max). However, a split voucher may have been easier to use if the OP wanted to book two tickets at the same time.

I did get split Amex cash cards when bumped in MSP a month ago. $800 bump came in three $250 cards and one $50 (doesn't matter with cash though ).

Here are the T&Cs from a DBC voucher regarding transferability:
Redemption/Transferability: Voucher is non-transferable unless assigned to someone traveling with the original voucher owner on the same reservation at the time the voucher is being redeemed. Delta assumes no responsibility for unauthorized use of the voucher by any person who presents it for redemption. A maximum of one voucher per passenger may be applied and used on one ticket. Paper vouchers cannot be redeemed online. To redeem a paper voucher, visit a Delta ticket counter at the airport or a Delta Ticket Office
The website can't usually figure it out so a call is required. Even then, I have had agents who didn't know it could be shared. Some insistence on my part was also required. That said, I have never tried to use a single voucher for two tickets. That might be a little harder.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jlc668
Do any of you have a tip for a search that would allow me to put in the departing airport and leave the destination open to find what might be available?
Are you suggesting multiple cities, across a range of dates, with a variable length of stay? If so, the number of possible itineraries really balloons out of hand unless some restrictions are applied.

ITA Matrix can handle a few possible destinations, out 30 days from a start date, with a non-fixed length of stay (say perhaps 5-7 days). You might want to limit the number of connections depending on how much DL service your origin airport has. Use Advanced Routing Codes to restrict search to Delta-coded flights. You could try something like this:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Once you find specific flight numbers and dates try booking online at delta.com or call DL to book.

I might try booking First class tickets for two with a voucher of that value. I see ATL-SAN-ATL at $659/person on select dates in Feb.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jlc668
I recently scored $1,300 in Delta Dollars. I know that does not seem like much to some who are pros at this but it is for me. I am looking to maximizes the use of these $$ and take my wife on a trip. Do any of you have a tip for a search that would allow me to put in the departing airport and leave the destination open to find what might be available?

I have tried a couple of sites but they do not allow me to only search Delta flights.
That really has nothing to do with Delta Dollars; it's the same search as you might make for cash.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I just realized my settings did not alert me to the replys. You guys have given me several suggestions to play with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.