FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Observation regarding RUC's and open space (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1710470-observation-regarding-rucs-open-space.html)

ryanfinger Sep 16, 2015 2:01 pm

Observation regarding RUC's and open space

I have been using several RUC over the last two months. I comment a lot on these things in the forums. I watch them very closely (as you need to do) to make sure they are applied correctly and I get the best use out of them. (Yes, it's crazy that I have to do Delta's job but its the price you pay for taking them as your award).

So I just discovered a bit of a trick and want to share it with the group. Perhaps others can provide input as well.

As you know when you apply and RUC you get an additional tab in your itinerary showing First / D1 but you cannot select a seat. If you try and select a seat - no avail. However, when I check on my flights I always click on the RUC seat tab and try anyway (i'm in IT so always trying stuff like this).

Two weeks ago on a flight I was waitlisted I clicked on a seat and it actually selected the seat. My ticket still showed I was in coach. When I tried to save the selection I got an error. So I called the diamond line to check on the cert and "see if there was availability" and the agent checked and said there was. She processed the cert and I was given a seat in first.

Now today - on a flight departing Sunday that I am waitlisted on. Did the same thing - checked the seat map for the D1 waitlisted segment and was able to again select a seat. Called the diamond line - same thing upgrade processed and sitting in D1.

So, it looks like if the system "allows" you to select a seat in the seat map tap added its an indicator that space may be available. At least I have two examples of that being the case.

PV_Premier Sep 16, 2015 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by ryanfinger (Post 25435568)
I have been using several RUC over the last two months. I comment a lot on these things in the forums. I watch them very closely (as you need to do) to make sure they are applied correctly and I get the best use out of them. (Yes, it's crazy that I have to do Delta's job but its the price you pay for taking them as your award).

So I just discovered a bit of a trick and want to share it with the group. Perhaps others can provide input as well.

As you know when you apply and RUC you get an additional tab in your itinerary showing First / D1 but you cannot select a seat. If you try and select a seat - no avail. However, when I check on my flights I always click on the RUC seat tab and try anyway (i'm in IT so always trying stuff like this).

Two weeks ago on a flight I was waitlisted I clicked on a seat and it actually selected the seat. My ticket still showed I was in coach. When I tried to save the selection I got an error. So I called the diamond line to check on the cert and "see if there was availability" and the agent checked and said there was. She processed the cert and I was given a seat in first.

Now today - on a flight departing Sunday that I am waitlisted on. Did the same thing - checked the seat map for the D1 waitlisted segment and was able to again select a seat. Called the diamond line - same thing upgrade processed and sitting in D1.

So, it looks like if the system "allows" you to select a seat in the seat map tap added its an indicator that space may be available. At least I have two examples of that being the case.

my question is why is the upgrade processor not moving you into F automatically from the waitlist, as it should be if the upgrade inventory is open? is DL now sourcing their waitlisting technology from UA? :mad:

TommyD2 Sep 16, 2015 4:37 pm

Even with this doing Delta's job for them (as mentioned).

Of course, now that it's out there, I'm sure Delta IT will 'enhance' it away shortly :)

number21 Sep 16, 2015 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by ryanfinger (Post 25435568)

ryanfinger - Nice trick. Thank you very much and we appreciate you sharing.

I will definitely be doing this when using my RUCs from now on.

ryanfinger Sep 16, 2015 6:11 pm

To test it one would need to recreate again and NOT call Delta and then wait. I guess I don't have the stomach to do that. :)

rylan Sep 16, 2015 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 25436245)
my question is why is the upgrade processor not moving you into F automatically from the waitlist, as it should be if the upgrade inventory is open? is DL now sourcing their waitlisting technology from UA? :mad:

My question as well, and unfortunately its been a known issue with the instrument waitlists for a while that there is a disconnect between space opening up and the list checking/processing the available spot. Sometimes it works, sometimes there is a delay, and sometimes it doesn't work.

Felixishim Sep 17, 2015 3:45 pm

it is just sad, i have waitlisted RUC on LAX-JFK-LAX
only LAX-JFK show 2 seatmaps on Delta.com

tried to call and tweet to make sure it applied right they all said it was

MSPeconomist Sep 17, 2015 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Felixishim (Post 25441432)
it is just sad, i have waitlisted RUC on LAX-JFK-LAX
only LAX-JFK show 2 seatmaps on Delta.com

tried to call and tweet to make sure it applied right they all said it was

Just to make sure, you're trying to use one RUC in each direction, right?

Felixishim Sep 18, 2015 2:43 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25441668)
Just to make sure, you're trying to use one RUC in each direction, right?

Yes of coz but lax JFK has 2 different seat map būt JFK to łax only have 1

MSPeconomist Sep 18, 2015 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Felixishim (Post 25443236)
Yes of coz but lax JFK has 2 different seat map būt JFK to łax only have 1

This sounds like only one RUC was properly coded. Call DL until it's fixed.

BTW, do you see "upgrade requested" on your itinerary for both flights?

ryanfinger Sep 18, 2015 8:39 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25443977)

My experience there are several steps that need to be completed for the cert to be applied correctly. Sometimes agents don't investigate to see all steps have been completed. If you can't get them to fix it another strategy would be to call up and ask your RUC be removed from the ticket. Say you changed your mind. Then wait a bit a call back and re-add it. Might help you get some closure.

air1jdg Sep 18, 2015 9:35 am

Originally Posted by ryanfinger (Post 25444196)
My experience there are several steps that need to be completed for the cert to be applied correctly. Sometimes agents don't investigate to see all steps have been completed. If you can't get them to fix it another strategy would be to call up and ask your RUC be removed from the ticket. Say you changed your mind. Then wait a bit a call back and re-add it. Might help you get some closure.

I had forgot there were so many steps and about the two segments showing up in the itinerary. A recent trip SDF-SAN-SDF through MSP out and ATL back I was upgraded on 3 segments but the SAN-ATL (just last night) showed me down the list a bit. I tweeted to @DeltaAssist and I was told the RUC was applied incorrectly. The good news is I was upgraded MSP-SAN and when applied correctly it was good for SAN-ATL as well. I wouldn't have made it last night if I hadn't checked. There were two other RUC requests so I ended up being 3rd on the list. How does RUC priority work considering status, etc.? I am DM but with my RUC applied incorrectly I was late to the party.

MSPeconomist Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am

Originally Posted by air1jdg (Post 25444475)
I had forgot there were so many steps and about the two segments showing up in the itinerary. A recent trip SDF-SAN-SDF through MSP out and ATL back I was upgraded on 3 segments but the SAN-ATL (just last night) showed me down the list a bit. I tweeted to @DeltaAssist and I was told the RUC was applied incorrectly. The good news is I was upgraded MSP-SAN and when applied correctly it was good for SAN-ATL as well. I wouldn't have made it last night if I hadn't checked. There were two other RUC requests so I ended up being 3rd on the list. How does RUC priority work considering status, etc.? I am DM but with my RUC applied incorrectly I was late to the party.

AFAIK there's no published statement by DL about how RUC/GUC/SWU/miles upgrade priority works except that the Reserve card has no impact.

Felixishim Sep 18, 2015 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25443977)

It does show upgrade requested on both flight so pretty confuse

Seat1A Sep 18, 2015 3:47 pm

When the seat map seems to go live, that means you've already cleared. Be patient. In a few days, you'll get a call from Singapore confirming your reissue.

(And once they reissue in RP, you're golden for SDC, irops, etc, as an F ticket. )