DM takes wrong bag at JFK!

Old Sep 12, 15, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/2MM, MR-Plat, HH-Gold, Hertz-Prezi Club, Marriott-Gold, MHC

So landed yesterday on the NRT-JFK flight and waiting for checked bag to get through customs. An HOUR later, handful of us still waiting on bags and I see a bag close to mine but still not claimed. My first thought was...surely someone didn't take the wrong bag...but yes it happened! Same black tumi suitcase, same dented DM tag on top, with the glaring exception of their tag said JFK final and mine said RIC final...guess it's time to buy the pink and green polka dot suitcase so no one mistakes my bag again!!! I'm probably more surprised that a fellow DM committed this amateur error, hope to see my bag later today!!!!
Old Sep 12, 15, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Elite is marketing hype. It doesn't mean "elite." There are actually people who don't fall for the marketing hype of FFP's who aren't as stupid as the guy who stole your bag.
Old Sep 12, 15, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
"Bag switch on delivery" happens rarely but it's quite difficult to sort out, because you're dependent on the pax who picked up the wrong bag to return it.

The best thing you can do (besides just not checking) is A) Have an easily identifiable bag, and B) Get to the belt early, and watch others as they pick up bags. I've witnessed someone who thought my bag was theirs a few times.
Old Sep 12, 15, 10:34 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
"Bag switch on delivery" happens rarely but it's quite difficult to sort out, because you're dependent on the pax who picked up the wrong bag to return it.
Not exactly. The unclaimed bag that looks just like the OP's is at least a starting point for Delta to contact the owner and see if they claimed the wrong bag.
Old Sep 12, 15, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One woulld think that especially for arriving international passengers, people would be more careful. Who wants to take a stranger's bag through customs? Good luck saying that it was a mistake if the wrong bag contains drugs or something similar.
Old Sep 12, 15, 10:54 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by RICforme View Post
Sguess it's time to buy the pink and green polka dot suitcase so no one mistakes my bag again!!!!
Or, perhaps, simply, one or more of these:

Old Sep 12, 15, 10:58 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
Or, perhaps, simply, one or more of these:

I like these
Old Sep 12, 15, 11:13 am

Do not check anything.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Elite is marketing hype. It doesn't mean "elite." There are actually people who don't fall for the marketing hype of FFP's who aren't as stupid as the guy who stole your bag.
I have traveled the world for decades and do not check anything for the reason you just noted.

I have a Tumi computer bag that fits on top of my Tumi 22 incher for above the seats.

My wife does the same. Our philosophy is that our stuff is easily cleaned or washing out or we can purchase anything we need when we arrive.

Best of luck.
Old Sep 12, 15, 11:37 am

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Hyatt Globalist
So landed yesterday on the NRT-JFK flight and waiting for checked bag to get through customs. An HOUR later, handful of us still waiting on bags and I see a bag close to mine but still not claimed. My first thought was...surely someone didn't take the wrong bag...but yes it happened! Same black tumi suitcase, same dented DM tag on top, with the glaring exception of their tag said JFK final and mine said RIC final...guess it's time to buy the pink and green polka dot suitcase so no one mistakes my bag again!!! I'm probably more surprised that a fellow DM committed this amateur error, hope to see my bag later today!!!!
I picked up the wrong bag and took it home exactly once 20 years ago flying into FSM. The whole thing scared me to the point where even today if i'm %100 certain its my bag, I still find my name on the delta bag tag to verify it is.
Old Sep 12, 15, 1:08 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
The other bag should have had the name and PNR of the other passenger. Let DL track them down.

As for differentiating your bag, I've found leaving the tops of a bunch of old pink tags does a pretty good job in making my standard black 22" Tumi that looks like so many others stand out.
Old Sep 12, 15, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/2MM, MR-Plat, HH-Gold, Hertz-Prezi Club, Marriott-Gold, MHC

Thanks for the great tips, I'll definitely grab some unique bag identifiers for next flight! Good news looks like my bag is on the inbound JFK-RIC flight this afternoon! Now as long as my Cuban cigars were not taken, I'll be a happy camper. Sadly I doubt the 2,500 mile gift for bag delay will work here!!
Old Sep 12, 15, 3:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, ICH PLAT
I put a colored luggage strap around my plain black suitcase. It makes identification/sighting easier, ease the load on the zippers (I usually load my cases to the max), and help deter casual thief.

Keep in mind that most people don't fly much, so after a 5-11 hour flight, it is easy for someone to get confused and pick up the wrong suitcase.

I am always fearful of luggage thief, and other people making mistake. When I do have to check luggage, I try to get to the luggage belt as soon as possible and position myself to see the bags come off the chute.
Old Sep 12, 15, 4:00 pm

[QUOTE=RICforme;25414346]So landed yesterday on the NRT-JFK flight and waiting for checked bag to get through customs. An HOUR later, handful of us still waiting on bags and I see a bag close to mine but still not claimed. My first thought was...surely someone didn't take the wrong bag...but yes it happened! Same black tumi suitcase, same dented DM tag on top, with the glaring exception of their tag said JFK final and mine said RIC final...guess it's time to buy the pink and green polka dot suitcase so no one mistakes my bag again!!! I'm probably more surprised that a fellow DM committed this amateur error, hope to see my bag later today!!!![/QUOTE

I traveled a lot in the last 9 months and was amazed at the number of passengers grabbing other people's luggage only to find out it doesnt belong to them. I would often shake my head thinking "cant you put something on your luggage to identify that it yours" then again I have lime green covers that I have put on my luggage handle(bought at marshall) and a couple of times I have seen fellow passengers aiming to pick it up. My sister recently bought bright blue luggage and usually its the only suitcase of that color on the carousel.
Old Sep 12, 15, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire
I use this one on all my luggage. Made of metal.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008A0SZV8/ http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008A0SZV8/
Old Sep 12, 15, 5:17 pm

Programs: really nothing anymore
I use this one and it's only $2 per pair. At least I have a place to complain if someone takes my bag

http://www.flyertalk.com/store/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: