Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with LHR connection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Need help with LHR connection

We are traveling business class into LHR arriving on DL 12 (terminal 4) on Oct 15 at 12:15 pm. I am going to book a connecting flight to EDI on BA for that afternoon.

1. Is departing at 3:30 pm out of terminal 5 a realistic connection time? The only other one departs at 1:40 pm and I thought that was not enough time.
2. Will Delta tag my luggage to EDI upon review of my connection purchase at my departure airport?
3. Will I be able to use the arrivals lounge in terminal 4 even though we will be connecting out on a different airline?

Thank you.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ges123
We are traveling business class into LHR arriving on DL 12 (terminal 4) on Oct 15 at 12:15 pm. I am going to book a connecting flight to EDI on BA for that afternoon.

1. Is departing at 3:30 pm out of terminal 5 a realistic connection time? The only other one departs at 1:40 pm and I thought that was not enough time.
2. Will Delta tag my luggage to EDI upon review of my connection purchase at my departure airport?
3. Will I be able to use the arrivals lounge in terminal 4 even though we will be connecting out on a different airline?

Thank you.
130 is definitely to soon, 330pm can be done, but will be tight. You'll have to catch a bus or use an underground train to go between terminals. Plan on at least 45 minutes to an hour for getting between. It can be quicker, but one car accident, or a busy day and it quickly can take awhile.

Yes you can use arrivals lounge, that's what it's for is arrivals. You can get a meal, shower, relax, etc before going to T5.

You can ask DL to interline your bags, but nowadays it's more and more likely they will say no. Remember since it's two non partner airlines and is a domestic flight, you'll probably have a significantly reduced baggage allowance on BA. Unless it's on one ticket that's the way it is unfortunately.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If DL will tag your bag through (and they certainly aren't obligated to on separate tickets) you can use the airside connections process.

If not you'll have to clear UK immigration and customs and take your bags with you to T5.

There are lots of land side buses (free) which will actually be less bother than trying to use the tube or train.

Plenty of info on the LHR website - travel between terminals
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:39 pm

You are entitled to use the arrivals lounge with your business class ticket (or alternatively, status). Remember, Delta do not know whether London is your final destination or if you are continuing on to another city. Just be aware that you will need to leave the arrivals lounge with enough time to transfer to Terminal 5 and clear security.

Also, as a premium cabin passenger, you will receive a Fast Track voucher that will allow you to access a priority queue at border control.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If DL will tag your bag through (and they certainly aren't obligated to on separate tickets) you can use the airside connections process.

If not you'll have to clear UK immigration and customs and take your bags with you to T5.

There are lots of land side buses (free) which will actually be less bother than trying to use the tube or train.

Plenty of info on the LHR website - travel between terminals
OP will have to clear customs and immigration at LHR since will be connecting to a domestic flight.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
OP will have to clear customs and immigration at LHR since will be connecting to a domestic flight.
@flyerCO is correct; you are not eligible to use an air-side connection because your final destination is within the UK and therefore you will need to clear border control and customs at your first point of entry into the UK.

Besides, the arrivals lounge is ground-side, so you would need to clear border control and customs to access it.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No you are wrong.

Assuming OP has their bags checked through they would be eligible to use airside connections as there is a passport check during that process - they do not have to use the arrivals immigration route. Customs clearance would take place at EDI (most likely use the red phone in the baggage area if you have anything to declare).

Thus hey would not have to go landside at all - unless they wanted to use the Yotel at T4 - and even if they wanted to use the Yotel their bags could still be interlined to EDI and not have to be collected at LHR

Use the connections planner and it clear that for an international-domestic connection the passport check takes place during the airside connections process unless the passenger has to (or wants to) clear it at the arriving terminal and go landside e.g. because luggage isn't checked through. The customs check - such as it is - take place at the ultimate destination airport not the port of entry into the UK.

If the OPs bags are not checked through then they will, as I already said, have to clear immigration and customs at T4 and use the landside bus to get to T5.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Sep 7, 2015 at 9:33 pm
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
No you are wrong.

Assuming OP has their bags checked through they would be eligible to use airside connections as there is a passport check during that process - they do not have to use the arrivals immigration route. Customs clearance would take place at EDI (most likely use the red phone in the baggage area if you have anything to declare).

Thus hey would not have to go landside at all - unless they wanted to use the Yotel at T4 - and even if they wanted to use the Yotel their bags could still be interlined to EDI and not have to be collected at LHR

Use the connections planner and it clear that for an international-domestic connection the passport check takes place during the airside connections process unless the passenger has to (or wants to) clear it at the arriving terminal and go landside e.g. because luggage isn't checked through. The customs check - such as it is - take place at the ultimate destination airport not the port of entry into the UK.

If the OPs bags are not checked through then they will, as I already said, have to clear immigration and customs at T4 and use the landside bus to get to T5.
According to the planner the option you point out is only available if on a single ticket. Also it states that if you have anything to declare you must use a phone, thus customs clearance is done at LHR. However regardless with two separate tickets I highly doubt OP will be able to use the flight connection option. 1)bags will most likely not be checked through and 2)is not on one ticket, which the planner says is needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.