Wiki Posts
Search

DL281/282 SEA-HKG-SEA Late november?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2015, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
DL281/282 SEA-HKG-SEA Late november?

Had originally booked DL 281/282 for Nov 19-24 but it seems Delta has cancelled this route for about a week. Does anyone know why and for how long? I was to actually travel YYC-SLC-SEA-HKG Nov 19 and HKG-SEA-YYC Nov 24 and now they want to route my YYC-SLC-SEA-NRT-HKG and back HKG-NRT-SEA-YYC.

Any flight to Hong Kong is a long one but this makes it ridiculous. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Who are you on for the NRT-HKG-NRT segments? They dropped their's awhile back IIRC. Are the rest of the new segments on DL?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 300rwhp
Had originally booked DL 281/282 for Nov 19-24 but it seems Delta has cancelled this route for about a week. Does anyone know why and for how long? I was to actually travel YYC-SLC-SEA-HKG Nov 19 and HKG-SEA-YYC Nov 24 and now they want to route my YYC-SLC-SEA-NRT-HKG and back HKG-NRT-SEA-YYC.

Any flight to Hong Kong is a long one but this makes it ridiculous. Any suggestions?
The b problem is that's the holidays and thus a low demand for business travelers. I would bet it's back right after thanksgiving. Is there any c flights to MSP,DTW,JFK,ATL, or LAX instead of SLC? Especially LAX opens options including on DL codeshare flights on China Airlines, China Southern, Korean Air, or China Eastern.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
They just changed my HKG-SEA on 10/26 to HKG-NRT-SEA, HKG-NRT on a Delta A330-200 and NRT-SEA on Delta 747-400. My SEA-HKG on 10/22 has stayed intact (thus far).
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by daggerga
They just changed my HKG-SEA on 10/26 to HKG-NRT-SEA, HKG-NRT on a Delta A330-200 and NRT-SEA on Delta 747-400. My SEA-HKG on 10/22 has stayed intact (thus far).
Are you sure it's not a DL codeshare operated by China Eastern using a A330-200? DL doesn't fly that route itself anymore. Unless they forgot to announce they're bringing back a route I doubt DL has decided to start it again.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
DL274 and DL166 on 10/26, both Delta metal.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 10:04 pm

Looks like DL is indeed bringing back HKG-NRT 5x/week starting 10/26 until 3/26/2016, in place of SEA-HKG.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Must be something temporary. Looked at the flight schedules and they don't have anything listed for HKG-NRT and have SEA-HKG listed. However the booking system clearly is offering a HKG-NRT flight for sale.

I'm guessing maintenance/plane availability issues are going to cause a need to reshuffle some flights for a bit and thus they've needed to change the routing for a short period of time.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:20 pm

If they are short a 332, this is certainly one way to deal with it, provided they have the necessary capacity NRT-US (which they almost certainly do).
Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: DL PM
Good riddance. JFK-SEA-HKG was a terrible experience in J (737 for JFK-SEA! and a 5 hour layover if you flew back on Sat) compared to JFK-NRT-HKG.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:31 am
formerly dave h.

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can SEA it from here!
Programs: SkyMiles, IHG nobody, HH nobody
i'm booked on DL 281 SEA-HKG on Nov 21, no changes to this one yet.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
It looks to me like Delta is operating SEA-HKG on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and HKG-SEA on Sundays and Thursdays.

NRT-SEA operations Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. I assume this gives this 7 day a week coverage to HKG, spread between SEA and NRT. HKG-NRT only operates five days a week as well, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday.

All flights operate with an A332, making this a very odd choice of rescheduling.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Are you sure it's not a DL codeshare operated by China Eastern using a A330-200? DL doesn't fly that route itself anymore. Unless they forgot to announce they're bringing back a route I doubt DL has decided to start it again.
MU doesn't fly NRT-HKG nonstop, and if I have to choose, I would choose KE over MU even if KE is more expensive !

DL doesn't fly the route anymore but DL still have the slot for NRT-HKG, just like UA.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Must be something temporary. Looked at the flight schedules and they don't have anything listed for HKG-NRT and have SEA-HKG listed. However the booking system clearly is offering a HKG-NRT flight for sale.

I'm guessing maintenance/plane availability issues are going to cause a need to reshuffle some flights for a bit and thus they've needed to change the routing for a short period of time.
I am rather guessing it is leading to the ultimate cancellation of SEA-HKG !

If it is maintenance / plane availability issues it would be a week or two and it wouldn't be 5 months long, 5 months is not a short period of time at all, just like would you see UA ORD/SFO/EWR-HKG suddenly become one stop at NRT ? Never happened ! (Even during some major holidays like Thanksgiving and Chinese New Year, UA would only cut one or two nonstop from the US for a week top, but still leave at least one nonstop)

Not to mention, maintenance / plane availability issue should be sub by another plane or plane type anyway if there are enough loading, DL could sub with 772 or even 744. If not it just prove the load isn't good at all.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Sep 6, 2015 at 3:23 pm
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton
I am reading a lot about this issue on the internet. We will really just have to wait until the summer 2016 schedule comes out to see if this is a winter time only reduction, or a year round reduction.

AA, UA, and DL all do hub reductions in the winter. JFK/ATL/DTW/MSP all see DL reductions in the winter. Seattle is no different. Again, wait until the 2016 summer schedule comes out, and that will answer most questions.

Finally, you can not include Delta dropping SEA-HND, as saying Seattle is having problems. As we all know by now, that is a whole different situation.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
I am actually very excited, SEA base from HKG here, Love the HKG-NRT route.

I don't like the non-stop 16 hours Direct is too brutal, when both the direct and connection are running I usually choose the one stop at NRT rather then Direct if I have a choice price wise + because of DL and KE competition they run 747 on the NRT-SEA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.