Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheese course in Delta One?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Cheese course in Delta One?

Good morning - flying Delta One in a couple weeks to GRU, looking forward to the trip. My wife and I were discussing the flight and somehow got to chatting about cheese.

In Delta One do they do a proper cheese course? Or is cheese just a dessert option along w/ everything else? Is it frowned upon then if i ordered cheese as well as another dessert?

Also, is the cheese selection halfway decent. The cheese in J on United reminded me of something i'd buy at the grocery store for $0.99 but the cheese on Swiss J was fantastic. Are we talking a plate w/ processed cheddar and swiss or will it be something more interesting and artisinal?

Yes, first world problems but inquiring minds want to know.

THanks
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by injera
Good morning - flying Delta One in a couple weeks to GRU, looking forward to the trip. My wife and I were discussing the flight and somehow got to chatting about cheese.

In Delta One do they do a proper cheese course? Or is cheese just a dessert option along w/ everything else? Is it frowned upon then if i ordered cheese as well as another dessert?

Also, is the cheese selection halfway decent. The cheese in J on United reminded me of something i'd buy at the grocery store for $0.99 but the cheese on Swiss J was fantastic. Are we talking a plate w/ processed cheddar and swiss or will it be something more interesting and artisinal?

Yes, first world problems but inquiring minds want to know.

THanks
After the main course, a 3-tiered dessert trolley is pushed through the cabin with cheese, ice cream and some kind of pastry. The cheese is not pre-plated - it is on a tray and the FA will plate it when you order (so you can ask for more/less of a certain type). They generally have 1 type of blue, 1 type of cheddar, and a third option. I find the quality to be pretty good. They'll also be happy to give you as many crackers as you would like.

While I've never ordered 2 desserts at once, I have had the cheese off the trolley, then asked for ice cream after I finish the cheese. I'd order one dessert at a time if I were you - that way the FA can make sure everybody gets their first choice to start.

Have a good trip!
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
It's funny, in the menu it used to have a shout-out from Andrea Robinson that mentioned a "cheese course." Don't know if that is still there.

When I saw that I chuckled to myself, "what cheese course?"

No such thing on DL, as another poster mentioned it is one of the dessert options.

Usually if the meal is good I just get the dessert. But if the meal is not good (50% of the time) and I am still hungry I get cheese and dessert. Some FA's make you feel like a pig when you do that but I don't care, I paid $7K and you gave me a crap meal. It goes something like this......

FA: Would you like fruit and cheese OR dessert?

Me: I would like some of the cheese and crackers, no fruit. I would also like a sundae and one of those cute little creme brulees. And a Bailey's and decaf.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:39 am

I have found the FA's to have no issues at all with two desserts, dessert and cheese, double cheese, etc. They certainly have never made me feel like a pig.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I have no problem feeling like a pig, but admittedly would feel bad if someone in J didn't get to have dessert because i ordered cheese and then ice cream. Based on the timing of this flight i'm looking forward to a decent multi-course meal, several drinks and then a nice 5-6 hour nap.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM
Had a recent AMS-SEA return trip in Delta One. I generally don't like desserts (don't have a sweet tooth) and go for cheese. The cheese wasn't amazing, but it was certainly acceptable and I wasn't disappointed with it at all. I seem to remember there was at least brie, a blue cheese and cheddar. On both legs of this trip I was asked 'are you sure you don't want a dessert as well' when I ordered the cheese. The FAs kept the wine flowing without being asked also. The rest of the meals were fine apart from the 'settling in' plate on my SEA-AMS flight (not shown on the menu below - it's on the previous page). This was shrimp and it was fairly tasteless and a bit dry. The stand-out for me was a quinoa and spinach main dish on the AMS-SEA leg.

The menu also implies that cheese and dessert are separate courses (in the 'Dine and Rest' blurb):

Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
Based on what my mother taught me about a proper cheese course, what you get from Delta is amazing....it does not come out of a can.

Based on what a few cheese fanatic friends have served a few times when they've been on a cheeseophile bender....absolutely not.

The cheese if good, not great but I've also experience Dutch cheese overload on KLM...up to 6 opportunities during a 12 hour flight to have the same cheese time and again, which of course could be accompanied by a fine Dutch beer in a green can each time.

So.....YMMV
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by injera
I have no problem feeling like a pig, but admittedly would feel bad if someone in J didn't get to have dessert because i ordered cheese and then ice cream.
In my experience, there's always more than enough cheese/crackers/fruit, "sweet treats," and ice cream to go around, since many passengers skip dessert. Notice, too, that the printed menu doesn't direct passengers to "select one" dessert as it does for "The Main Event."
Old Sep 4, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I have found the cheese to be good. Perhaps not great, but good.

They serve a decent port to go with it.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've never heard a hint of concern about DL not having enough cheese and dessert for everyone to pig out. The cheese is decent but not Michelin starred restaurant caliber.

My annoyance is that most FAs don't offer the white dessert wine which is on the menu for most flights. Port might be assumed with the cheese, but I suspect that the Sauternes is rarely opened, nor has it been offered to me as a doggy bag.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've never heard a hint of concern about DL not having enough cheese and dessert for everyone to pig out. The cheese is decent but not Michelin starred restaurant caliber.

My annoyance is that most FAs don't offer the white dessert wine which is on the menu for most flights. Port might be assumed with the cheese, but I suspect that the Sauternes is rarely opened, nor has it been offered to me as a doggy bag.
"... doggy bag"?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
I concur with the others, never had issues the times i asked for more then one dessert choice or multiple selections of cheese with DL.
Most of the time sitting in 1C on a A330 meaning you will get served last and there is always plenty of all the dessert choices left.

Anyway pictures say more then words:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/95453503@N05/15093463440

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Port might be assumed with the cheese, but I suspect that the Sauternes is rarely opened, nor has it been offered to me as a doggy bag.
Sitting mostly in 1C, same case with the Port and the Banfi rosa regale, lot of times not opened. Most pax stick with their orignal wine choice?

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
"... doggy bag"?
Goodie bag ?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Double post sorry
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
I usually order the cheese course for dessert (I'd eat less in the earlier courses to make room for it). The default is three types of cheese or so, usually a brie, swiss, and bleu plus crackers and grapes and strawberries. There's always a nice Port and/or dessert wine so it's really a nice way to end the meal service.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I like the cheese with red wine, not port, and then sometimes a single tiny dessert ideally with the white dessert wine. Often the FA talks me into the sundae too, which I take in the version of simple ice cream without any toppings but I think most of the time more of it melts than what I eat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.