Wiki Posts
Search

"Sincere" Apology

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: PM
"Sincere" Apology

After a delayed flight (DTW-CDG) led to a missed connection (CDG-BCN), the friendly Air France agent pulled a card from a stack of about 100 identical cards that read, "Delta: Please accept our sincere apology".

Maybe this is common practice, but it's the first time I've seen it. Not sure how sincere it is to hand someone a generic card. Given the size of the stack the agent had, seems like they hand these out frequently.

Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
I believe they are supposed to be book marks.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Wait...that's all it is? It is not a voucher for anything? If that is the case, I would think this would be better coming "sincerely" from the person handing it to you. But I would really think that this is supposed to be part of something else---like the lost baggage toiletry kit or something.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Was there anything on the back? Phone number to call, code to redeem for miles/meal voucher, anything at all?

The message conveyed by a generic card/bookmark can just as easily be done by training the agents how to genuinely say, "So sorry for the delay, here's how I can (or can't) help."
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: Biscoff Medallion, A-Hole Preferred
Originally Posted by zsmith2
I believe they are supposed to be book marks.
A bookmark???

"Let's remind the customer of their missed connection every time they open their book!"

Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:32 am

promotional messages

Which reminds me of the "First bag free" promotional insert sticking out of the seatback pocket. At first, I thought that it was the air sickness bag...
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: PM
No phone number, nothing on the back. Back and front are identical.

The agent was very polite and did apologize. Separately, I received a 16€ voucher for lunch. I was happy with the service. The agent handed this to me at the very end of our interaction, and did so somewhat begrudgingly. We shared a look that basically said, “This is company policy and we both think it’s kind of senseless”. ...that was my interpretation anyway!

This almost beats the time in BCN when at check-in I was handed a 10”x5” laminated card that said “Sky Priority”, which I was told I should wave around to get past the crowds on my way to the gate.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by EuroDelta
This almost beats the time in BCN when at check-in I was handed a 10”x5” laminated card that said “Sky Priority”, which I was told I should wave around to get past the crowds on my way to the gate.
I want one of those!!

David
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by EuroDelta
They also do this at AMS, though not sure if they still do with new security.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
HKG too. I was annoyed to have another piece of paper to schlep around. Boarding passes, lounge invite, Sky Priority placard.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
The SP placards at least theoretically have a point in helping agents recognize DYKWIAs from the massive crowd.

Though the last time I was at AMS it didn't matter as they boarded the J last due to broken air conditioning on the plane.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
The SP placards at least theoretically have a point in helping agents recognize DYKWIAs from the massive crowd.

Though the last time I was at AMS it didn't matter as they boarded the J last due to broken air conditioning on the plane.
PMNW had a red dot sticker to place on one's clothing to identify their passengers who should get priority handling. It made more sense as it wasn't an additional piece of paper to carry and drop on the floor or lose.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 1, 2015 at 6:38 am Reason: typo!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
PMNW had a red dot sticker to place on one's clothing to identify their passengers who should get priority handling. It maked more sense as it wasn't an additional piece of paper to carry and drop on the floor or lose.
Delta uses clothing stickers - white with a widget - but for corralling kettles instead. I believe I've seen it used on leisure-heavy flights in large Asian airports, like HND and HKG, so gate agents can eyeball the duty free stores for stragglers and close out the flight.

The agents never bother giving them out in the Sky Priority lanes, but I've always been given one when I ask
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My PMNW experience with this was on a flight exTPE (to NRT) in business class, where I checked in at the (elite and) business class counter.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Not anymore, besides that a private security company now is intervening with the boarding process (just before and after KLM scans your BP) and they couldn't care less about SP/D1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.