Wiki Posts
Search

Y+ seating on a 757 JFK-ARN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
Y+ seating on a 757 JFK-ARN

I'm flying on DL 202, JFK-ARN, which is a 757. Booked this weeks ago, and as a DM, selected a Y+seat...19D. I happy with that; 19F is occupied, but that is fine. Y+ with an empty middle seat is nice.

In looking at the seat map today, someone has now taken 19E, which seems strange, considering there are plenty of Y+ seats available.

Why would someone want a middle seat in row 19 when the 18 seats in row 23-25 are available?

I am considering changing seats. A whole row in Y+ a few seats back seems a lot nice than flying a 7+ hr flt, in a fully occupied 3 seat section.

But perhaps I am missing something.

I don't do TATL often, and when I do, it is thru AMS. So seating on a 757 TATL in Y+ is a new experience.

My prime consideration is space on a flight of this length. I can change right now and get an aisle row 23 with no one else. An aisle 23 seat with no middle or window seat occupied seems a lot better that where I am now - 19DEF all occupied.

But this was an option for whoever booked 19E, so I wonder if there is something great about row 19 on a TATL 757, such that you would book a middle seat?

I have always received great advice from folks here, who know more about this than I.

Thanks. The flight in question is DL 202/26 AUG
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
19E could be a travel companion of 19F.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
19E could be a travel companion of 19F.
Possibly, but 19F was booked weeks ago, the booking of 19E showed up today.

There are multiple rows available in Y+ a few rows back, with all seats available.

If this is two folks wanting to travel together, why not select 2 seats together in open rows. a few rows back, than deal with seating in a row with all seats occupied.

There seems to be tons of room in Y+ on this flight.....why sit 3X when you can have 1X1?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Your call on whether or not to play seat roulette, but I'd probably stay where I am. Most TATL flights are likely to go out pretty full at this time of year regardless of the seat map, so moving yourself to a currently empty row might not count for much at departure time. If you're happy in 19F, stick with it. But maybe monitor things a few hours after online check-in opens...if plenty of rows continue to remain open, I might consider switching at that point.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Donna49

There are multiple rows available in Y+ a few rows back, with all seats available.

If this is two folks wanting to travel together, why not select 2 seats together in open rows. a few rows back, than deal with seating in a row with all seats occupied.

There seems to be tons of room in Y+ on this flight.....why sit 3X when you can have 1X1?
Because there is no seat in front of 19F. My guess is tall husband traveling with a short wife.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

Beats me on any of your questions. Perhaps because 19F has all that extra legroom and 19F is really tall, while 19E is really short/small and doesn't care about being in a middle.

I guess you have nothing to lose by switching to a different aisle seat in Row 23-25. Best case: flight goes out with a light load and you get a row of 3 to yourself. Worst case: the status quo remains the same for you and 23A and B get filled prior to departure too and its no different than being in 19D with 19E and 19F filled. I guess if you don't see any difference between being in Row 19 with all three seats occupied and Row 23 with all three seats occupied, then no reason not to switch and hope to get lucky.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
Your call on whether or not to play seat roulette, but I'd probably stay where I am. Most TATL flights are likely to go out pretty full at this time of year regardless of the seat map, so moving yourself to a currently empty row might not count for much at departure time. If you're happy in 19F, stick with it. But maybe monitor things a few hours after online check-in opens...if plenty of rows continue to remain open, I might consider switching at that point.
+1
full rows free now does not mean there will be free at departure.
I would stick to where I am, and perhaps try to go talk to a gate agent. Being a DM and all, you might find a nice GA who will block the rest of the row for you.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:06 pm

OP, what ended up happening?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Why would someone want a middle seat in row 19 when the 18 seats in row 23-25 are available?
I've noticed some booking channels seem to auto-assign the first "suitable" seat, even though it may not be the best. Somebody probably booked the ticket (possibly via a partner?), got an auto-assigned seat, and didn't bother to look/notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.