Wiki Posts
Search

New Premium Checkin at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
New Premium Checkin at LAX

My Mom is excited to be flying in F from LAX to SEA next weekend. Today she received an email from DL touting the new Delta ONE checkin experience at LAX. I now Delta One refers to what used to be called BE. And F from LAX to SEA is not BE. But the fact that they sent this email to her makes me think that it may apply to her after all. So my question is this: do ALL premium pax use this new checkin at LAX, or just true Delta ONE pax? And where is this? I was just at LAX on Sunday and did not see any premium checkin counter at all, and no signs directing people to it.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The premium checkin is for Delta One pax and is separate from the rest. At LAX the exterior entrances have signs with one for Delta One, then the next for SkyPriority, then all of the normal DL entrances. If you go in through a 'normal' entrance, you won't see signs for D1 as it is separated from the normal check in area.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DLFan2
My Mom is excited to be flying in F from LAX to SEA next weekend. Today she received an email from DL touting the new Delta ONE checkin experience at LAX. I now Delta One refers to what used to be called BE. And F from LAX to SEA is not BE. But the fact that they sent this email to her makes me think that it may apply to her after all. So my question is this: do ALL premium pax use this new checkin at LAX, or just true Delta ONE pax? And where is this? I was just at LAX on Sunday and did not see any premium checkin counter at all, and no signs directing people to it.
Does her flight number continue on to an international destination? I don't know if anything LAX-SEA does, but it is possible that her cabin could be coded as D1 if this is the case.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Does her flight number continue on to an international destination? I don't know if anything LAX-SEA does, but it is possible that her cabin could be coded as D1 if this is the case.
Alternatively, if she's continuing from a D1 flight TO LAX, if LAX is a legal stopover under her fare, AFAIK she can use the new facility. I'm not sure what happens if there's a D1 flight on the same PNR in the "other direction."

Assuming that the email is specific to her and not just some mass mailing, I'd print it out and bring it since it could be interpreted as an invitation, especially if it refers to her itinerary or travel date.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:39 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
I guess if it does not include her, then she'll have to do the walk of shame to the Sky Priority check-in with Riff and Raff.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Alternatively, if she's continuing from a D1 flight TO LAX, if LAX is a legal stopover under her fare, AFAIK she can use the new facility. I'm not sure what happens if there's a D1 flight on the same PNR in the "other direction."

Assuming that the email is specific to her and not just some mass mailing, I'd print it out and bring it since it could be interpreted as an invitation, especially if it refers to her itinerary or travel date.
I found the D1 check-in area yo be nice, but it's not worthy of a fight to get in (especially when on eight really entitled to). Is it really worth the hassle for some cucumber water, a bit of Tillamook cheese and a Kind bar?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by DLFan2
My Mom is excited to be flying in F from LAX to SEA next weekend. [...] So my question is this: do ALL premium pax use this new checkin at LAX, or just true Delta ONE pax?
The full access list is available unsurprisingly at delta.com, but in summary
  • Confirmed D1 passengers departing from LAX
  • Passengers in any cabin connecting to a D1 flight, or a long haul SkyTeam F/J flight
  • DL360

So if your Mom is just flying F from LAX to SEA she will very likely be denied access. There is a greeter at the door with an electronic list of passengers entitled to access. That, and not any email, will be what decides access.

The D1 check-in has a few perks over SP: you're less likely to get stuck behind a bunch of people with complex re-ticketing issues; it's quiet, there aren't likely to be more than 1 or 2 other people there; fantastic restrooms; light snacks and beverages; jumping to the front of the security queue. It's nice, but not life changing.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:56 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bennos
It's nice, but not life changing.
Have you ever tried . . . .

Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
. . . . a bit of Tillamook cheese . . . .

Once you've taken the factory tour - in Tillamook, OR, on the beautiful Oregon coast - you're HOOKED!!!

Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by davetravels

Once you've taken the factory tour - in Tillamook, OR, on the beautiful Oregon coast - you're HOOKED!!!

But the Delta One check in doesn't have cheese curds! (Or squeaky cheese, as my family calls it.)
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
TBH, I was more excited by the bottled sparkling water

Speaking of which, the LAX SC now has one of those water dispensers where one button gets you cold, one gets you sparkling, and two get you hot water. (I first saw these in an Air New Zealand lounge.) I guess it pairs nicely with the Starbucks machine.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
TBH, I was more excited by the bottled sparkling water
I'm a little bit . . . .

Why would they have bottles of ANYTHING immediately before security? Are there tables or chairs to relax for a few minutes after you check-in, and before you exit to where, supposedly, you are dumped out directly at TSA?!?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
I'm a little bit . . . .

Why would they have bottles of ANYTHING immediately before security? Are there tables or chairs to relax for a few minutes after you check-in, and before you exit to where, supposedly, you are dumped out directly at TSA?!?
Yes there are. But, no coffee. I was there for a while trying to sort out a problem with my wife not being on the upgrade list.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:52 pm

There's seating for about 10 people (two couches and 4 chairs). It's good for sorting through your stuff before security, or waiting for a ticketing issue to be resolved, or a quick phone call.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:08 pm

So, there's a small seating/table area. So, I guess we should figure in an extra half hour or so, to linger there and <potentially> mix and mingle with some celebs, and other hoidy toidy front cabin folk?

Originally Posted by spamkiller
Yes there are. But, no coffee.
Heavens to Betsy! ! !
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The full access list is available unsurprisingly at delta.com, but in summary
  • Confirmed D1 passengers departing from LAX
  • Passengers in any cabin connecting to a D1 flight, or a long haul SkyTeam F/J flight
  • DL360

So if your Mom is just flying F from LAX to SEA she will very likely be denied access. There is a greeter at the door with an electronic list of passengers entitled to access. That, and not any email, will be what decides access.

The D1 check-in has a few perks over SP: you're less likely to get stuck behind a bunch of people with complex re-ticketing issues; it's quiet, there aren't likely to be more than 1 or 2 other people there; fantastic restrooms; light snacks and beverages; jumping to the front of the security queue. It's nice, but not life changing.
So people arriving in D1 longhaul and connecting to domestic FC can't get access? That's disappointing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.