Non-Hub Connections?

Old Aug 16, 15, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Last week I was searching for flights on Matrix and it showed SLC-DFW-LGA as an option that was a good price and worked best for the times I wanted. DFW used to be a hub, but not any more. I went to DL.com to book it, and it didn't show as an option. I couldn't even find it as a multi-city booking. I had to call, and the phone agent managed to book it. I think it ended being two one-ways in different fare classes. I believe the return trip was booked at a round-trip fare.
Old Aug 16, 15, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat
Non-Hub Connections?

I have frequently seen PIT as a connection on an ATL-CDG routing as well. And it is sometimes the lowest price option for a given date between the two cities.
Old Aug 19, 15, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I used to see MIA-TPA-RDU a lot on one-way and roundtrip searches from RDU-MIA as the cheapest option.
Old Aug 19, 15, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
I see connecting though LAX to SFO quite often as a cheaper flight from the East Coast. I ave done MHT-ATL-LAX-SFO one or 2 times.

I love odd connections for IRPS, during the polar vortex in Jan 2014, I went, LGA,PIT,MSP,SLC,SMF rather than the original LGA,MSP,SMF
Old Aug 19, 15, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd be happier with some of these creative routings if the connection points have SCs or other lounges I can use, such as PP.
Old Aug 19, 15, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by WWads View Post
I've seen some offered before, but never this many, and from so many different departure points. Most of the outstation connections aren't even the cheapest option available. MIA-ATL-XNA-CVG is almost $700 more than MIA-LGA-CVG, for example.

Here's a few others:

PDX-SLC-MSN-DCA
SEA-BOI-SLC-DCA
HNL-ATL-PHL-CVG
XNA is always fortunate enough to have higher fares than alternative airports.
Old Aug 19, 15, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Singleflyer View Post
I see connecting though LAX to SFO quite often as a cheaper flight from the East Coast. I ave done MHT-ATL-LAX-SFO one or 2 times.
Same with SJC, I did RDU-DTW-LAX-SJC for that very reason last year.
Old Aug 19, 15, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Howste View Post
Last week I was searching for flights on Matrix and it showed SLC-DFW-LGA as an option that was a good price and worked best for the times I wanted. DFW used to be a hub, but not any more. I went to DL.com to book it, and it didn't show as an option. I couldn't even find it as a multi-city booking. I had to call, and the phone agent managed to book it. I think it ended being two one-ways in different fare classes. I believe the return trip was booked at a round-trip fare.
Sometimes you can pull up these routings on Google Flights, Hipmunk, or Kayak and use their link to DL.com. It might require their multi-city search feature. Hipmunk uses the same back-end as Matrix, so the same advanced routing codes should work. I've never really done this for domestic, but I've used G Flights a few times to put together international itineraries where I wanted to maximize my 23:59 connections.
Old Aug 19, 15, 6:41 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
Sometimes you can pull up these routings on Google Flights, Hipmunk, or Kayak and use their link to DL.com. It might require their multi-city search feature. Hipmunk uses the same back-end as Matrix, so the same advanced routing codes should work. I've never really done this for domestic, but I've used G Flights a few times to put together international itineraries where I wanted to maximize my 23:59 connections.
Can't you just call DL to get the same itineraries pieced together?
Old Aug 19, 15, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL
My favorite routings are from the LAX-metro airports. BUR-SLC-LAX-IND for example. The non-hub connections used to be on my regular search before married segment logic took over on awards. LAX-AUS/MCI/MSY/IND/CMH/RDU/DFW-ATL/DTW/MSP-XXX for example. The risk at MCI is that you'll connect through the gate that has its own security area (worst design ever).

Interestingly enough, Delta provides flight schedules that include a lot of non-hubs. Try searching for IND-ATL here and you'll get CMH, PIT, CLE, PHL, BWI, DCA, IAD, and ORD to show up as options. This is what the online "change flight" and VIPER IROPs system use so it's quite possible to book them. They even include some terrible co-terminal options like ORD/MDW and DCA/IAD.
Old Aug 19, 15, 7:10 pm

I was VIPERed from PHL-MSP nonstop on a G A P fare to PHL-RDU departing before the crack of dawn the next morning, connecting in the early evening to RDU-MSP, with both segments in coach. One would almost have to try to find worse flights.
Old Aug 19, 15, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Can't you just call DL to get the same itineraries pieced together?
Sure, but that requires calling and getting a competent agent and feeding him or her flights. There was also one time that it was a KLM fare that DL wasn't matching (I thought prices were the same under the JV, but maybe some cities are excluded), and booking on 074 stock by phone from the US is probably not an easy task.
Old Aug 19, 15, 10:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Strange Routing

I am doing BHM-ATL-AUS-LAX coming up in 2 weeks.....it was cheaper than BHM-ATL-LAX so I took the extra connection..........when I booked it there was also BHM-ATL-DFW-LAX as well as BHM-ATL-CVG-LAX that were available.

Interesting to note that none of the strange ones (except BHM-ATL-CVG-LAX) are still even showing as possible.
Old Aug 20, 15, 5:15 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
Sure, but that requires calling and getting a competent agent and feeding him or her flights. There was also one time that it was a KLM fare that DL wasn't matching (I thought prices were the same under the JV, but maybe some cities are excluded), and booking on 074 stock by phone from the US is probably not an easy task.
Do you need it to be on 074 stock? I've had great luck with the ITA2OTA script to mix and match and book partner-marketed and operated flights that the DL.dumb search either won't offer or, if it does, wants to do as DL codeshares. Almost without exception, if I can find the routing and pricing on ITA Matrix, I've been able to get the DL.dumb booking engine to take routes/flight numbers/prices via the ITA2OTA. Want to take DL metal TATL both ways, but one way the cheaper fare is with an AF codeshare? No problem!
Old Aug 21, 15, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Slightly delay this morning on RDU-ATL on my way to DEN. DL.com is offering me a change to ATL-MCI-MSP-DEN

Search this Thread
Search Engine: